“Terrible customer service” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Ivor, Virginia
“Terrible customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I HATE leaving reviews and complaining; however, I blocked a group of rooms and most of the little cottages that The Smithfield Station has to offer for my wedding. I was told that they would contact me a month prior to my wedding to let me know how many rooms were reserved and NEVER received a call. So, I had to contact them myself. Really this didn't bother me, but after my stay, it does now.

Like I said, I blocked rooms for my wedding which was a few months ago. I also reserved one of the cottages for myself and my girls to get ready in for the day of, and also for my husband and I for the wedding night. Now...I understand that the hotel could not allow me to come in early on Saturday to get ready b/c of policy or whatever else, so I reserved the room for Friday night as well as the Saturday night of my wedding. Myself and a few of my bridesmaids stayed in that room Friday night. Now, I know I probably should have asked how many people were allowed to stay in that room, but not once was I asked the question of how many I had staying with me or was I told a limit. So, that day when I checked in, I kindly asked for an extra set of sheets, blankets, and pillows. I received the sheets and blankets while I was checking in and was told I would receive the pillows later on (by the only friendly front desk staff member that works there it seems). I never received these pillows, so that night we (my sister) contacted the front desk to ask about getting a few more pillows. I decided to go ahead and start walking to the front desk while my sister was placing the call. When I got to the front desk I was greeted by one of the rudest people I think could work in a customer service environment. The front desk worker was standing there waiting for me with an OBVIOUS attitude and had ONE blanket in her hand. When I spoke up and explained that we had just called and asked for extra pillows and blankets, she replied very negatively and said, "this is all we have." Excuse me? Was I not staying at a hotel? I thought hotels had EXTRAS for their customers! So, I took the blanket and said thank you and tried to shake off her rude attitude as I am not a person to confront or to complain. As I was walking away she says to me, "exactly how many people are staying in your room?" I explained to her that it was the night before my wedding and a few of my girls were with me. She then gave me a very rude tone and stated, "well if you were going to have that many people stay with you, maybe you should have thought about bringing your own stuff." Um, no. I should not have had to think about that on the night before my wedding, and I should not have been treated with such a NASTY attitude. I was NEVER not once rude to this lady. When I finally got back to my room, I was informed by my sister that the front desk staff had called the room back and had asked again how many people were in the room and again were very rude and nasty.

Not only did I stay here for two nights and give this place 2 nights of business, but I had several out of town guests that booked their cottages and a few of the hotel rooms giving them more business. And later I came to find out that one of my out of town guests had a toilet in their cottage that was not working. They contacted the front desk and was told that it would be fixed; however, no one came to fix it and these guests had to lift the top off of the toilet and flush it that way. How is it that they just paid over $200 for a nights stay and they had to flush their own toilet MANUALLY because no one could fix it. A few other guests also complained that they had very unfriendly service at the front desk.

I LOVE Smithfield, and I really do like The Smithfield Station seeing as I live just outside of Smithfield and have stayed there before for a friends wedding and also eat there often (my bridal luncheon was held here and it was PERFECT). However, after a terrible weekends stay DURING MY wedding weekend, I was turned off. I think The Smithfield Station needs to have a meeting with their staff and explain what customer service is, because it is pretty obvious that some of their staff should not be working in a customer service environment if they think that is the way to treat guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Christina W
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hi Christina W and thanks for the review. I am sorry that your stay was not as you had hoped. The biggest problem with the room was that you were trying to sleep eight people in a room designed for two. While our rooms are spacious, sleeping eight adults is a bit tough and against our policy. All of our cottages are double occupancy and is listed in their descriptions on the website as well as our registration card. You note in your comments that you love Smithfield and really like Smithfield Station. Well, we really like you too ;) We always hope that our guests leave here nothing less than delighted. I hope that you can give us another shot and please introduce yourself the next time you are in. I would love to sit down and talk with you and discuss your events so we can make Smithfield Station a better place.

Very truly yours,
Randy Pack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Lexington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Located in Smithfield Virginia, nice view of the bay overlooking a small marina. Clean room with a balcony unfortunately it was raining while we were here. We had dinner at Smithfield Station, good salad with lots of choices. Breakfast was buffet with local ham and biscuits and bacon on the menu plus other items and yogurt, not fancy more like a visit with your family. Nice people running the hotel and restaurant. We used it as a stop on the way to Virginia Beach, took the ferry over to Jamestown.

Room Tip: Balcony is a must for your stay. Also attached is a coffee shop and a small shop for browsing. Park...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time relaxing and enjoying our restaurant. The views from our rooms overlooking the water are always a favorite with our guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant and the complimentary breakfast that we offer. Please come again when the weather is a bit more agreeable. There are a lot of great things to do outdoors here in Smithfield. Thank you for your comments. We do so enjoy feedback from our guests.
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a great get-away for us! We started years ago just before Christmas for a little shopping and we decided to do a summer trip. Loved every minute of our stay. The food is wonderful, but more importantly, the staff and service was impeccable.

Room Tip: Love the waterfront cottages.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you ToniM for your review of Smithfield Station. Oh I can imagine that you girls had a great time. We appreciate you coming for your girls getaway and are delighted that you chose Smithfield Station for your annual getaway. We absolutely love having your group stay with us. We hope you can make it again very soon perhaps for that pre Christmas shopping spree. Thank you so much for your many visits to the Station. We will be looking for you again very soon.
Trenton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I reserved the lighthouse suite for my family as my loves lighthouses. I called and made the reservation and received an e-mail confirmation. 3 days prior to our departure I received a phone call from the VP of Smithfield Station. Mr. VP advised me that my reservation actually did not exist despite my speaking to the reservations desk and my confirmation number and e-mail. He said that he was sorry but there were no other rooms available either. He stated that there was nothing he could do. Several time he told me that there was 'nothing that he could do'. Nothing. Seriously nothing. He suggested that I try the Hampton Inn. Thank goodness it wasn't my wedding.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
rpack76, Owner at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Good evening Jennifer A, thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. What you have stated above is basically true. However, you forgot to mention my most sincere apologies as not only am I the VP, but I am one of the owners in this family owned and run establishment. It is always our desire that no one leaves here anything less than delighted. It is true that there was no place I could put you that evening as we were booked. I admitted that we made a mistake and that unfortunately mistakes sometimes happen. I also offered the lighthouse to you at no charge the next time that you visited this way. This offer still stands. Once again, not only do I understand your disappointment, but I truly am sorry for the mix-up on our part. I take 100% blame for it. I hope that you find an opportunity to visit Smithfield and Smithfield Station where I believe that you will see our Genuine Southern Small Town charm and beautiful community will make this error right.

I wish you my best,
Randy Pack
Vice President
Smithfield Station
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

very clean and great views , so close to town . very friendly , very helpful , breakfast was good but no bacon at Smithfield ???? we really enjoyed it by boat . small town but very pretty and fun weekend . should be on a bucket list

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We do appreciate your feedback on your Smithfield Station experience. Coming by boat is such a great way to enjoy our property. We love our boaters and we are delighted you had a great time staying in the Marina. Thank you for adding us to your bucket list. Please come again soon
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The secret is to get a room with a balcony overlooking the marina and water. We spent several hours in the afternoon and next morning reading books and newspapers while enjoying sights of waterfowl and the occasional recreation boater.

The room was large, clean and comfortable. It was also very quiet during the night. We were pleasantly surprised that the "expanded continental breakfast" noted on their website actually included cooked to order eggs and omelets made with the famous Smithfield pork products.

Lastly, the new walking bridge to Windsor Castle Park that is across the street from the inn is a very popular destination and a wonderful place for a morning hike.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
thank you so much for your great review. Your stay with us sounds like it was relaxing and just perfect. We do like to think that our balconies are designed for just sitting and enjoying the peace and quiet. We do appreciate feed back from our guests, it let's us know how we are doing. We are happy that you enjoyed our breakfast. We think it is just what our guests would enjoy and we do get a lot of great feedback on it. Thank you for staying with us and we surely hope you will return to our quaint and quiet little town soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The room was wonderful, clean and very roomy. The view of the river and a gorgeous sunset were so very relaxing. The staff was very friendly and helpful in every way. The breakfast was one of the best we ever had. We will stay there again!

Room Tip: The balcony room we had was the best. Wonderful view and soooo relaxing
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rpack76, Guest Relations Manager at Smithfield Station, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. We are delighted that you enjoyed your room and our "expanded breakfast" We so appreciate our guests commenting on their stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us. Please do come again soon. Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience ..
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Smithfield
Wedmore Place
Wedmore Place
#14 of 75 in Williamsburg
The Smithfield Inn Bed and Breakfast, Restaurant and Tavern

Been to Smithfield Station? Share your experiences!