“Great food, home-like atmosphere and amazing baked goods.”
Review of Olde World Tea Co - CLOSED

Olde World Tea Co
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2012

If you are a fan of loose tea, baked goods, soups and tarts made from scratch this is the place for you.The food is flavorful, made from scratch, and is comepletely different from other food in town. The vegetarian options do not leave anything to be desired, and I still cannot make their iced teas better than they can, no matter how hard I try. The staff are attenttive and knowledgeable about their subject. Julie, the owner, is friendly and welcoming and always has some time to talk about how things were made or where the ingredients come from. If you are in Smithfield in the Summer, get some wonderful iced tea to refresh yourself.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

A quaint little tea shop that serves a light lunch. Tea items and antiques are for sale at reasonable prices. The owners Julie & Carlos are usually on site and are very friendly and helpful. We go every time we are in the area. Very close to park. Look for them on facebook!

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I was in town visiting my family this weekend and found the tea shop and cafe mentioned online. I enjoy good teas and wanted to check it out.

The cafe is in the front room with a small shop in the hallway and a bakery counter in the back. Mom and I had a very nice lunch and shared a pot of the tea of the day: a black tea with the flavor of lemon balm. Mom declared her bread pudding the best she ever had. They even had yummy gluten free peanut butter cookies I could eat! They also have a menu for Tea Time.

The selection of teas and tea supplies is nice. The owner was very helpful and friendly. If you are in town, this is a nice place to sit and be rejuvenated.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

I live in Smithfield (been here almost 3 years now) and I make a point of going to the Olde World Tea Shoppe a couple times a week. Always greeted like a lifelong friend, the owner and staff will chat, encourage, inspire and nurture me through their menu of homemade delectables ... including the best soups I have EVER tasted. Teas are recommended according to the foods I choose or the way I feel. Yes! Taste-testing is encouraged as well as feedback on new recipes.
The Olde World Tea Shoppe truly offers the Heart, Hospitality & History that is Smithfield's motto. Inside a quaint, historic home right on Main St., the ambiance brings you back to a simple time, when an afternoon tea rejuvenated the senses as well as the rest of your day.

1  Thank JodieW720
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We chose to have lunch at the Olde World Tea Co based on the reviews here. It was great! We visited on a lovely fall Saturday - when we arrived around noon, the tables on the first floor of the old house they use for the shop and restaurant were occupied. No worries - we could choose to sit on the 2nd floor, or outside. The weather was great and we chose an outside table. The service was friendly, and the food was awesome. We both chose the tea of the day (that day, a black spiced peach tea). I had it hot, and my partner opted for the iced version. As for the food, one of us had a lunch special (soup, savory tart, drink and dessert) and the other had a sandwich and soup.

Everything we had was outstanding. The Thai peanut soup, the spicy pork soup, the tomato and grueyere (sp?) tart (kind of like a quiche, but with this awesome savory shortcake-like crust), and the curried chicken sandwich (chicken breast, apples, cranberrys, carmelized onions and curry sauce in a baguette). Portions were perfect--not too big. And then came the dessert--a homemade banana bread pudding. It was amazing--warm, with a bit of a top crust, a caramel sauce, and two small dallops of homemade whipped cream. Really, really seriously good. Don't miss it.

Throughout it all, our server (actually the husband of the chef) was happy to help us out in any way, and we were always checked on to make sure our tea was topped off. This place isn't the fanciest place to eat in Smithfield, but the food is wonderful, and the atmosphere is friendly and unpretentious. On top of it all, it was a great value. Next time we're here, we'll definitely be back.

1  Thank lavinaharless