“Very Disappointed!”

Days Inn & Suites South Boston
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in South Boston
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The last time I stayed here, it was a very pleasant stay. This time, it was the complete opposite. My family and I were here for another church trip. We booked a Presidential Suite to fit a family a four for 2 nights.
1) The bathroom door would not close and weak.
2) There was a small stain on the chair near the desk.
3) The fan had no chain, so we could not adjust the speed.
4) There were no towels at the pool and to get some from the gym.
Now, 1-4 didn't bother me as much, so I found no reason to call the Front Desk. Then, I found out there were no sheets for the sleeper sofa and no wash clothes. I called the front desk and asked for both things. 15 minutes later we received 3 dirty wash clothes and no sheets. I went to the front desk and asked very nice for some clothes and sheets. At the time it was around 9pm and no one was checking in. The young lady had a attitude, but finally went in the back to get what I needed. She quote on quote, could find anything. So she went into an empty guest room and took the wash clothes. Finally she found some sheet from another storage room. My family and I will not be returning to this hotel. I don't care if this hotel is in the middle of nowhere, you should still have some expectations. The only plus out of this experience was the nice lady who checked us in. Never again! Its sad, but I thought they would have been better.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Deja L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Deja L,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express South Boston. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We spent one night at this hotel and it was miserable. The hotel and rooms are in good shape but the smoke and noise were too much to overcome. They have a high number of smoking rooms; rather than segregate these rooms, they comprise and entire side of the floor and the stench permeates the halls. I am not hyper sensitive to smoke but it is so strong you could stand inside our door and smell the smoke wafting under the door. The noise is awful, too, with people hanging out and smoking in the hall. I finally had to call the Front Desk.

We had a room with two double beds, and when I woke up, I had welts on my arms and forehead, which I assumed were from bed bugs. Only one bed in our room was infested, so luckily my daughter wasn't bitten. I immediately reported the problem with the Front Desk. They said a manager was "on their way in" and would investigate. We left about an hour and a half later, and still no one had visited the room. This was my first -- and hopefully last -- experience with what I assumed were bed bugs, and I was not sure what to do. The told me they were unable to provide any sort of refund, as we had booked through a third-party site. They asked for my Priority Club membership number and said they might be able to issue some points as compensation. The bites, unfortunately, got worse during the day, and I was forced to seek out an urgent care facility the following morning as the welts had grown alarmingly large and the itching was overwhelming. When we returned home, I sent an e-mail to the hotel and included photographs of the bug bites.

I was finally able to speak to the hotel manager on the phone, who had inspected our room after our departure. She reported that they found evidence of "grass mites" in my bed, but not bed bugs. She said they refer to these bugs as grass mites "in the country." I tried to look them up online, but did not find a direct match. I think she might be referring to a chigger, but I'm still not sure. While I was glad to hear it was not bed bugs, it did not make me feel any better about the experience. It has now been a week and the bites are still very present and itchy. I will give the manager credit for being extremely friendly about the issue over the phone, and they did issue some points -- which I doubt I'll ever be able to use. All that said, I will not be returning to the hotel nor can I recommend it. I do want to point out, too, that I rarely -- if ever -- have given a hotel a poor rating, but in this case, it is warranted.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank NellieVA
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear NellieVA,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for being an IHG Rewards Club member. It is truly regrettable that you were not able to fully enjoy your recent stay with us. We would like to follow up on your experience so we have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Faith R

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a very large group come in and stay for 5 days or more and we we not satisfied at all. Some rooms had bed bugs, the televisions didn't work, sheets we not changed on the beds, some rooms weren't clean upon us checking in. There is a sign in every room that states if there is a problem and it's not resolved your stay will be free. The gave us $10 back off a 5 night stay of disatisfaction. Do Not Stay here at this hotel!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank 1unhappyperson
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear 1unhappyperson,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Charisse V.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My family and I stayed here for a church trip !! The rooms were decent and clean. They also had a nice breakfast. The only thing was the ladies were still cleaning when our group got there. However they were nice and were able to fix the situation quickly. Finally, the price was very reasonable. If we have another church trip, we shall return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager4000, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2015

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I frequently travel through Virginia to get to my destination for business purposes. The hotel did not disappoint what so ever. The rooms are superb, the staff very pleasant, the breakfast great. In general seems as if the management takes great care of the hotel and their guests. I am a seasoned traveler and I must say this is one of the best hotels I have stayed at, from service to quality. Will definitely be returning back to the hotel!

Thank You for making my stay a pleasant one.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Kareem B, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear satisfied guest,

Our staff are very happy to see their efforts result in a great experience for you. Thank you for sharing your experience about our excellent hotel and we look forward to your next visit . It was our pleasure to have you be our guest!

Glad you had a safe journey home!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

On Nov. 9th, when I returned to the hotel, workers wearing respirators were using chemicals in a room just down the hall with the door to the room wide open and the vapors filling up the hall. I thought thew were spraying for bugs and wasn't concerned until I became ill and called the desk to find that they were refinishing bathtubs. I became very ill, shaking violently and was rushed to the ER. I learned that very dangerous chemicals are used in the stripping process and I received an acute exposure. The hotel management is refusing any information on the contractors or individuals doing the work or even the specific chemicals involved. I will wind up having to bring a law suit to find out the party responsible. The hotel management is the worst I have experienced in all my travels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Phillip C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Phillip C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message to discuss.

Pam G

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I was looking for a room for just one night on a busy NASCAR weekend for the area. I was able to get a room at the Holiday Inn Express in South Boston and was very pleased. I was a little worried as they were the only one for over 60 miles that had a room left, and was concerned if there was a reason why they still had rooms. Well, I was pleasantly surprised upon arriving at how nice this hotel was. We were greeted by the friendly staff, and being Priority Club members we were given goodie bags. The room was very spacious, clean and the TV was the best I have ever seen during a stay at a hotel. The only drawbacks I found with the room was the paint job was awful in the room and bathroom. The paint was very sloppy with the wall paint being on the ceiling, etc. The second thing was you could hear the people in the hall, as if they were in the room with you. The breakfast was outstanding, and they had a wonderful variety of items to choose from. If I'm back in that area again, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Korky62
Kareem B, Guest Relations Manager at Days Inn & Suites South Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Korky62

Thank you So much for taking your time to review our property and share your Good experience , We greatly appreciate the time that you have taken to post a review for our property . Your Comfort and satisfaction are of the highest importance to us , and we would like to apologize to you for the paint issue and i wanted to let you know we addressed that to the highest level and hopefully all the rooms will be redone by the beginning of next year , also thank you for recommending our property to everybody , and we are so looking forward for your next visit