“Time is of the essence”
Review of Caffe Peroni

Caffe Peroni
Ranked #17 of 49 Restaurants in South Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I have had several lunches and dinners here over the last couple of years. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time, and sometimes the dishes are not up to Rome standards, sometimes they are excellent however. Despite some small issues, it is a fantastic place, especially considering the town it is in. If you are looking for a large cheese pizza you can go any of the mediocre "Italian" joints in town where you will be able to enjoy pictures of the tower of Pisa with the word "Rome" plastered underneath, since that is, as a previous reviewer pointed out, probably more authentic than a Guinness poster.
PS: the gelato case is operational in the summer and the gelato is very good.

There are newer reviews for Caffe Peroni

Reviewed 27 November 2013

My son and husband and I recently had lunch here – the experience was one of the worst we've had in years. First it took us 15 minutes to get our menus. My husband had the chicken Parmesan sandwich. There was no red sauce on the sandwich and there were three little tomato slices instead. I had the chicken vegetable soup which had about .01 ounces of chicken in it. My son had a hot dog with bread so stale it fell apart in his hands. He ordered a piece of cheesecake which was so dried out and rubberized he couldn't eat it (they did take it off the bill). The whole experience took an agonizingly long time. We should have stopped at subway like my son wanted to do..,the quality would have been better! How disappointing!!!

1  Thank akljht
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a restaurant in the european style. The chef takes your order, then cooks it. If you don;t see what you want on the menu, just ask, and the chef will probably be able to make it for you. I ate there twice on a recent visit to the area and enjoyed both of my meals. Excellent selection of beers and wine from around the world.

Warning, dining here takes more than the usual amount of time, but it is well worth it. Not a place you would expect to find in a small southern town. I will be back.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

I have been here for lunch several times and it is a treat. The menu is extensive. I had a spinach spanikkopita (spelling?) special on one outing and it was AWESOME. They have excellent desserts & pastries too so leave a little room. YUM

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I have walked by Caffe Peroni a couple of times and it is always empty. Now I know why.
It's a very large space that probably had more ambition when it opened. There's an enormous gelato display case near the back entrance, but it is not operating. Peroni looks like a pizzeria or deli, but the prices are out of line - $17 for a bowl of pasta that wasn't prepared very well (more about that later).

When my daughter and I entered a little before 7:00 on a Saturday night, there were two other people finishing their dinner. Posters for Ireland and Guinness on the wall seemed out of place until I looked at the beer & wine selections. They must have a couple of hundred beers from all over the world, but only one red and one white wine by the glass. And such a tiny wine glass - with only about three ounces of wine in it. There's also a selection of way-overpriced wines by the bottle.

The menu is large, but very dated and a little pretentious. After bringing my thimble of wine, we waited for a long time before the waitress asked if we were ready to order. She then told us that she would send the owner over to take our order. He arrives and tells us that everything is cooked to order, not like Olive Garden.

Beware of any special requests. Although the menu lists Chicken Marsala (yuck) with linguini for about $15, substituting tomato sauce for the Marsala caused the price to increase to $17, for "Make your own Pasta."

The linguini arrived overcooked to a point where it was limp and mushy. The chicken breast was sliced very thin and sauteed in an overwrought, "continental" tasting sauce. "Flat Bread Pizza" means served on a store-bought pita. The Margherita did not use any fresh basil leaves. Instead, it was drizzled with a basil-infused oil. Thin slices of hot house tomatoes and regular mozzarella round it out (not even fresh - let alone buffalo).

Price aim high, food aims low. I'd rather spend a little more and have a memorable experience at Molasses Grill.

1  Thank Edward27516