“An outstanding experience for what we paid”

Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in South Boston
Richmond, Virginia
“An outstanding experience for what we paid”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I went there for our first year anniversary. We got our discount through groupon and stayed two nights. It is ideal for people who just want to relax and do nothing. The food is excellent, and the wedding that we witnessed there was beautiful. We LOVED the tavern, and the waiters there. The pricing is incredibly reasonable, and we ate all our meals and had our late night drinks there, except for the Sunday Brunch, which was outstanding as well.

Went to the pool and the tennis court- both were very quite and we had them all to ourselves. We did a tour with the historian and he was very nice and knowledgeable. We also went mountain biking- but half of the bikes there had flat tires.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The old estate is lovely. I did a tour of the home, which was informative and delightful ... the tour guide was great. I stayed in the hotel portion ... the lobby is the top floor and the rooms below it. My room was accessible from elevator inside or steps outside. It was clean and pleasant. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and during my week stay, many of the servers even learned what I liked (special requests) and brought them when they saw me. There were maps for walking trails and an interesting cemetary on the grounds. The only drawback was the slowness of the internet ... but, I would jump at an opportunity to go there for another conference.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
VA
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at Berry Hill recently and had a truly mixed experience. Our room was lovely and comfortable. The bathroom is large but totally impractical. Towel racks are nowhere close to the bathtub. The toilet has an open seat and there are no horizontal surfaces on which to place toiletries. We were told when we checked in that there was no need to make a dinner reservation but when we went to the dining room we found it empty. After going back to the front desk to inquire, a waitress was located and we returned to the dining room where we were the only customers for the duration of our meal. The chef came to our table to say he was sorry for the mix-up and that he wasn't expecting anyone to be in the dining room since no reservations had been made! We made 3 calls to the spa before arriving to makemassage appointments and never got a return call.The property itself is simply beautiful but it really needs a management firm to whip it into shape.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raftmaster
Chatham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Actually found TWO disgusting balls of black curly hair in our bath tub upon arrival, One was sitting on top of the drain blocking the outflow of water, and the other clinging to the side of the tub. I wrapped them in a wash cloth and plastic bag and brought to the front desk. Never heard a word back from management, so I assume was it was nothing out of the usual for this property.
Of course this discovery led to my inspection of the bathroom floor where I easily found more human hair; blond, brown, and black, sticking to the floor of the bath room.
Some other observations: the "pub" is a wreck and looks more like the inside of an old trailer home. Who knows about the food? After the hair in the bathroom it was the last place on earth I was going to eat. The free breakfast is meager and insulting, as is breakfast room itself. The business center has a computer from the dark ages, and a chair to match. The lady at check-in was nice, the lady at check-out a fully pedigreed bummer.
This "resort" is really sad and feels like it is on its final days. If it's not, it certainly should be.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wisetravelerfromchin
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Driving up, you're gonna say, "Wow. That's beautiful." It IS a beautiful estate; however, in my opinion, calling it a resort is quite a stretch. It's a nice getaway, but it lacks some pretty simple conveniences. We had a large group (in for a wedding) and decided to spend time at the pool. The pool is indoor, which was OK, but there wasn't a trash can in the place to dispose of our food/drink items--not in the poolhouse, not outside the poolhouse, not on the grounds. The rooms were nice, but we walked by piles of dirty sheets and trash outside in the hallway. For hours, the hallways were littered in this way--not a good first impression. It was that night before the hallways were cleared.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, but there is no fridge or way to keep drinks cool unless you want to take the elevator to another floor, get ice, and fill the sink. FYI: there are no hairdryers, so be sure to bring your own. The towels are short and barely covered the intimate parts of my body. I can't imagine what they would look like on a man or a person of any size.

Some other reviews mentioned mixed customer service. I agree. The staff who helped with the wedding--serving drinks and food--were pleasant. The front desk clerk was not very enthusiastic and was unable to find my reservation. After driving from out of town, I was not pleased to arrive and find I did NOT have a reservation. Luckily, the bride's parents had reserved a couple of "just in case" rooms. Otherwise, we'd have had to drive back into town and stay at the Super 8.

Berry Hill is charming in its own way and it might be nice for a couple who want a quiet, romantic overnight stay, but I wouldn't recommend bringing a large group. They just can't accommodate the needs of a large group.

One more FYI: good luck getting any cell phone reception. Most of the people in our group had limited or no reception, and we were all forced to make long distance calls from our rooms. How can a "conference center" lack cell phone service?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ckinnion
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2011

All four of us had a wonderful and fun week end at Berry Hill. The rooms were beautiful with a great view. The food delicious at Darby's Tavern and Carrington's.We enjoyed walking the grounds and taking photo's. Also, toured the mansion and enjoyed hearing the history of the plantation. Berry Hill has quite some past and a whole group of different ghosts. We all had a relaxing and gorgeous fall weekend. A wedding here would be quite something. A true elegant southern style Virginia wedding place. All of were sad to leave and will be back again and again. Staff was wonderful. Next time plan to stay for Sunday buffet. Love, love , love Berry Hill !

Room Tip: Just call and say what type of room you like.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joannet97
boca raton
Reviewed 11 May 2011

This is a half way decent business traveler hotel but the price is no great shakes. I stayed on the night of May 9, 2011.
The rooms are, at best, a mixed blessing. Very nice and spacious bathroom, good size bedroom, and a good balcony but without any seating (I guess you are supposed to only stand up?!?).
On the negative side the mattress is old, saggy, and lumpy, and the pillows are old, hard, and lumpy. The TV is from the 1980's and the channel selection minimal.
There is no room service or dining available after 9PM, and very little if anything to eat in "town", such as it is. A very special shout out to the kind gentleman who fixed me a sandwich from the closed kitchen and brought it to my room that night..
A very negative shout out for the front desk woman on duty Tuesday morning the 10th of May, who clearly had to summon all her negative energy to offer a barely audible answer to my cheerful goodmorning. On two seperate occasions I heard a guest say thank you to her, without receiving a "your welcome" in return. What ever happened to that good old Virginia hospitality?

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Best Western Windsor Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#6 of 11 in Danville

Been to Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!