“Beautiful Property for a Wedding”

Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in South Boston
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I attended my cousin's wedding at this property last week end, and I had both positive and negative experiences.

The property itself is stunning. It it very well maintained,and the grounds are picturesque.

The room was clean, with well maintained hardwood floors, patios a nice, very large and bright bathrooms, and very comfortable beds. The room did not have an overhead light, so it was quite dark, even with lots of table lamps. The is absolutely no cell phone or wireless internet in the room, which was frustrating.

The pool has a strange chemical and turned clothing and hair blue...although I believe this did wash out.

The service through the weekend was accommodating, however it was difficult to get a server's attention at Sunday brunch. There was no cutlery or glasses at the table, and I had a hard time getting service.

The food was delicious at all occasions throughout the weekend, but I was disappointed that breakfast ended at 9AM on Monday morning. I expected the hours to be extended with the wedding just the night before.

I would definitely recommend this location for special occasions.

Room Tip: Higher floor with balcony (aka lobby level). The elevator tends to break.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Paul T

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Beautiful resort and grounds with Greek Architecture. The resort was decorated for a afternoon wedding so we took the opportunity to dance across the dance floor laid out in the gardens. Spa on-site as well as a hotel with the old resort as the central focal point. The scene from the front porch is amazing and if you can imagine it back in the day, wow.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1moresunset
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We met at Berry Hill for a small family reunion. It was a perfect spot. The rooms were spacious with great views of the plantation. The bathrooms were lovely. We spent the day exploring the grounds and the mansion. It was completely open to us and it is very interesting especially for those who like antebellum history. The Tavern is a cute bar, but we preferred our drinks out in the garden area. We had a wonderful dinner. The food was outstanding but service was a bit slow. There was a wedding reception at the same time so that may have been part of the problem. We also stayed for the Sunday Brunch which was also very good. If you are looking for a lot of action this is not the spot for you. But if you want a quiet get away for a place to talk, hike, or swim, this is a great place.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Cara H
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Berry Hill is located in south-central Virginia and is off the beaten path. If you are looking for a cosmopolitan vacation getaway, this is not the place for you. There are outdoor activities all around: hiking, boating, a race track. Patrick Henry's home, a national historical site, is a dozen miles away. The hotel is attached to the original mansion. Our room was very clean and well appointed. The staff was friendly and accomodating. We booked massages at the spa and it was well worth it. There is an indoor pool with saunas and a small exercise room. All was well maintained and clean. The nearest towns are South Boston and Halifax, where you would have to go for a meal. The tavern on the estate opens at 5pm and has great food and atmosphere, but that is all that is on the grounds. The continental breakfast was disappointing, cereal, bagels, coffee, yogurt in a small room with two tables. We went off season so it was very quiet and relaxing. The staff recommended a restaurant in Halifax that was excellent.
The mansion was open for a self-guided tour. We were given a grochure with details about the rooms. Nothing was off-limits so we had the run of most of the mansion,
Berry Hill is a popular place for destination weddings and corporate conferences. With the lovely grounds and hotel banquet facilities, it is easy to see why. If you are looking for an out of the way location it is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: First floor rooms away from elevators.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TonyJ85
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The layout of the property is very nice and the rooms are spacious. The even number rooms are on the back side - odd on the front. The fourth floor is the top floor and the lower number rooms are nearer the front door. If you're in 435 you've got a bit of a walk. Also, ask for a balcony, some rooms are without.
The rooms could use a really good cleaning. We had dust on the floor, the bathroom door was dirty and the sink and tub were clogged.
Service here is mixed, the front desk attendants were nice but brunch servers were slow and not too polished. Overall I would say there is a shortage of help in the whole place.
Also, if you don't get to the continental breakfast you will go hungry. There is no restaurant open here for breakfast or lunch (excepting Saturday and Sunday). The tavern and the onsite restaurant don't open until 5 pm. This is unbelievable considering how isolated the Inn is and it's a good distance from the town.
The grounds are lovely for hiking or running. There is a canoe down by the pond but I'm not sure it's in working order.
The fitness room is okay - it will get the job done.
It is a quiet place to visit if they're not full and sitting on your balcony is a nice way to pass the time.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank protravel8
Reviewed 4 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at Berry Hill on the way to a Nascar Race in Martinsville. The room was lovely. We had dinner at the tavern on the property, which was very nice as well.

Unfortunately, while we were eating dinner, some money was stolen from our room. My husband returned to the room to get a sweater, saw the housekeeper in the hallway, and asked her to put 2 extra pillows in the room for us. We were out of the room for just over an hour. I discovered the next day that $20 of $100 I had gotten at an ATM on the way to Berry Hill was missing from my wallet. Shame on me for not using the safe in the room, but still not excusable (the money was inside my wallet, in my purse, so it took some digging to find it). We called Berry Hill, they were apologetic, and refunded $20 to our credit card. However, they said they had insufficient proof to do anything to the employee (who of course denied it). As a result, I'm not sure I'll be returning again, since it did not appear they would be doing anything to rectify this situation. I was particularly surprised, because they have surveillance camers everywhere there, so they probably could have seen if anyone other than that employee accessed the room while we were at dinner.

Other than that unfortunate incident, I would recommend Berry Hill. As mentioned above, the room was clean and well-decorated, the bed was comfortable. I was somewhat surprised that for the level of accommodations, they did not double sheet the bed, nor did they have nice amenities.

My final gripe was with the free breakfast. It was in a tiny room, and the food was not impressive at all (boxed cereal, some oranges and apples in a bowl,etc.).

Sounds like a negative review, which I hate, because it is a lovely place. The main house is gorgeous and the addition fits with the original architecture. The grounds are beautiful as well. It would be a nice wedding venue.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank auberge0
BerryHillMartha, General Manager at Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

The experience described above has been the only complaint of theft that we have ever received at Berry Hill. We take the security of our Guests ad their belongings very seriously. Contrary to the review above, the housekeeper involved was let go as a result of this situation.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I planned this as a short get-away vacation. We traveled this past weekend, after a spectacular drive during the autumn foliage. The drive to the property was as beautiful as pictured. Upon arriving, immediately upon entering the hotel you are welcomed with wonderful period-type furniture, extremely friendly staff, a fire in the sitting room across from the lobby and a sense of relaxation. The bedroom had canopy beds, a large bathroom, and wing-back chairs. During our weekend, we enjoyed a massage at the bed, used the workout facilities, but found the swimming pool, though inviting a big too cold for our taste. The food at both the restaurant and the tavern absolutely delicious. The breakfast buffet was okay - though lacking for my vegetarian preferences. We even took advantage of the pool table one evening. I would readily go back for a relaxing vacation, the spectacular accommodations, and friendly, yet professional staff.

Room Tip: I doubt if you could find a 'bad' room