“Beautiful atmosphere!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in South Boston
Roxboro, North Carolina
“Beautiful atmosphere!”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I live 45 minutes away and my husband and I just discovered the Berry Hill recently when we stayed there for a "night away". It was so relaxing. We enjoyed walking around exploring the grounds. It's so beautiful. Our experience was perfect. While there I picked up a flyer for the Sova wine festival. When I got home I called my girlfriends and we immediately booked a room and planned the trip. When we first got there they couldn't believe it! They to only live 45 minutes away and couldn't believe such a hidden treasure was so close. They were so impressed and couldn't stop thanking me for planning such an amazing girls trip. We are definitely making this an annual girls weekend. If you are planning a wedding you must look at the Berry Hill! We all wish we would have known about this destination. We had amazing weddings at the beach, Mexico, and Vegas, but I know I would have changed my location the minute I drove in! The service was great, people are very friendly, food is good, and rooms are nicely decorated! You must give this resort a try!

I also got a massage while there and Jamasse is the best! I enjoyed her so much that I have driven back just for her services! The spa offers a full menu of options and you will leave feeling very relaxed!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a few summers ago. I'm very torn from this hotel..so beautiful, but with flaws like many others.
Pros: rooms (I felt like royalty sleeping in the canopy beds), area (BEAUTIFUL surroundings), staff (so friendly!), much to explore (spent a lot of time just exploring the whole resort), pool (very clean and convenient)
Cons: creepy atmosphere (rumors of haunts?), breakfast service (a small crowded room with cold food), bike rentals (none of the bikes even worked), bugs (total bug invasion on our balcony), several snakes (saw 3 snakes on entire trip crawling up stairs to resort buildings)
All in all, I give this resort 3 stars. Some important things to note is, the hotel is haunted. I never knew this until I read about it in the hotel guide book. There was an actual print out in with the procedures and information of the hotel. Since I'm not a fan of that at all, it made me slightly uneasy throughout the trip. Some of the cons, such as the snakes and bugs, the hotel cannot be to blamed, it's just the nature surrounding it, but if you're deathly afraid of any of those, I'd just be careful walking around at night. Otherwise, QUITE beautiful and elegant resort. The best vacation for this hotel would be a romantic getaway, in my opinion.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sierrra126
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Nice resort out in the country...nice and quiet vs staying at the fair field inn on 501...Pool and sauna were awesome and Carrington's restaurant was outstanding food and service...my crab cakes were awesome and my wife had the rib eye which was awesome too...Just be careful when you make a reservation, for our room had no balcony or refrigerator...They wanted $20 more to upgrade, but at 6PM in the evening they only had one room available for upgrade, and the room was still dirty from the night before...for a resort that needs all the business they can get...this was really bad customer service...it would have been nice to know when we made the reservations...

Room Tip: Make sure when you make a reservation that your room has a refrigerator and balcony...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed here for one night for a wedding at Berry Hill. It is definitely an out-of-the-way, quiet, and private spot. Very historic, beautiful grounds, and friendly staff (if a little too chatty during check-in when you just want to get to your room and relax). Our room was in the hotel section of the resort (although you can rent a room in the mansion itself - which would be awesome). The room (318) was large, had a nice balcony with rocking chairs and an expansive view. Hardwood floors, and a bathroom with heat lamps and excellent lighting. My gripes about the room were that the temperature was very difficult to regulate, so we were either freezing cold or burning up - there is no temp setting on the thermostat, just a fan that's either on or off, hot or cold. Also, the smallish queen bed only had two sad, lumpy pillows, and frankly, after a long day and night, we didn't feel like calling up to ask for any more (and there weren't any extras in either of the two closets). The walls were thin (neighbor's kids woke us up earlier than we would have liked), but I suppose that is characteristic of a historic building (sometimes). I was surprised that the toiletries were no different than what you would find at a Holiday Inn Express - Vaseline lotion and Pantene shampoos. After being accustomed to 12:00 check-out times at most other hotels, the 11:00 check-out was a little unnerving. We intended on checking out the "famous" Sunday brunch, but it didn't have enough "breakfast" items for our liking, but it was in the nice ballroom where the wedding had taken place the night before. Berry Hill is definitely off the beaten path and a special place for special events or romance, but it would be nice to have some nicer elements in the rooms themselves.

Room Tip: You can rent a room in the historic mansion itself or in the hotel section of the resort.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank volksaudinut
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 25th anniv. and we been on cruises and flown to all parts the world for vac. but what a place, the employees treat like they are glad to help and not there for a pay check and the rooms are beautiful and the food is great,we had such great time planning daughters wedding there in a couple years!! To all that reads this I highly recommend you stay there. We will be some!!

Room Tip: All room are great!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles G
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 February 2013

A wonderful, quiet and relaxing weekend. We got a deal through Priceline.com and thoroughly enjoyed the property. Extremely quiet, very clean and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. Took the afternoon historic tour of the mansion with Lealand, wonderful, insightful and a must do. The only suggestions I would have for the resort would be to update the breakfast with a hot meal and update the televisions to flat screens. The offseason is the time to enjoy this property before the wedding season begins. Book a stay but do not come expecting a 5 Star major city resort, come expecting a quaint country experience with the grounds to explore and southern charm to experience.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1moresunset
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Although we expected to step back in time at Berry Hill Plantation, we were surprised to find that the rooms and bathrooms had not been updated in a very long time and did not justify the high room cost. The rest of the main house, spa, and grounds were very pretty and well maintained. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the dinning room, but the food and selection was nothing more than average. We were surprised that the "couples massage" took place in separate rooms due to the small size of the spa. The indoor pool was nice but crowded with teenagers and families which was not expected considering the cost per night.

Room Tip: rooms in the main house were nice, large, and took us back to a plantation home, but the house was d...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Best Western Windsor Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#6 of 11 in Danville

Been to Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!