“Don't be fooled -- Stay away!”

Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in South Boston
California
“Don't be fooled -- Stay away!”
Reviewed 21 September 2008

This place has no clue.

If you're going to ignore the problems noted in some reviews, the please do not subject your children to this place.

There is no food service available most hours and when they do decide to open something, the service is poor and the food worse... not to mention being overpriced.

If you're lucky, you'll find a vending machine that works but if you don't have change, you're out of luck and the front desk is useless.

They just don't care.

We had a problem in the room. The heater woke us up in the middle of the night with an aweful noise that would not stop even when the unit was shut down. When the clueless maintenanc eman arrived, he comes into the room talking so loud that if the noise hadn't already woken up half the floor, he sure did!

So he finally gets the thing to shut up, we get into bed and you'll never guess what happened next, THE FRONT DESK CALLS!!!

I'm telling you, these people are absolutely clueless and do not deserve your hard-earned cash.

And by the way, the noise came back!

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jdonebay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Virginia
Reviewed 9 July 2008

My husband and I spent out honeymoon at Berry Hill. Check in was flawless! We were greeted with smiles and congratulations from staff. We were still in our wedding garb and the staff offered to take pictures of us with our limo driver as well as pictures inside the main house. Our reservation was for one of the personal Inns (The Jefferson). It was absolutely beautiful! We had a wonderful view of the property and the driveway leading up to the main house. It was like having a little house all to ourselves with spacious closets, huge bathroom and a romantic queen canopy bed. There was a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries compliments of the Berry Hill Inn staff delivered by room service which was a wonderful surprise! My husband and I spent one day at the Blackberry Spa......Oh my gosh! It was soooooo nice! We didn't want to leave. There was an indoor pool that we had all to ourselves; as well as a sauna and workout room. The food at the restaurant was absolutely delicious! The chef came to our table each night that we dined, to ensure that our food was cooked to our taste! One night we even had a "made to order" meal in which the chef cooked whatever we wanted. We had lunch at Darby's Tavern which was also nice and quaint and once again the food was great! We were given a personal tour of the property by a gentleman named Leeland and we were in AWE of his knowledge of the property and the intriguing family history. We were speechless after our tour of the Diamond Cemetery. Leeland did not miss any details! I can honestly say that I hated to leave!!! We will never forget this little hideaway! My husband and I plan to come back for our future wedding anniversaries.
I recommend Berry Hill Inn to anyone who wants uninterrupted moments, and who needs rest and relaxation. All newlyweds should spend their honeymoon here!

T. Scales (Danville, VA)

• Liked — It was so ROMANTIC!
  • Disliked — The TV didn't work for 3 days - but it was our honeymoom, we didn't really need it!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traboo
nc
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I was told it recently went under new ownership again. I was there on June 14. The food was not that good, very high priced. The grounds appeared they had not been taken care of. Front desk was great at check in. When we got to our room, the air would not work, maintenance came to reprogram the remote. There was ants in the room, the room was filthy. I tried to speak to the general manager, but never got a response. They had a couple events going on, and I felt sorry for the people at the events hope they were treated better than we were.

• Liked — leaving was the best part
  • Disliked — arriving at the resort
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank berrybad
Youngsville, NC
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Booked a 1 night stay for Mother's Day evening for my Mom and myself. We arrived around 11:30 a.m. and our room was ready for check-in. The folks at the front desk (Tonya) and couple of bellboys were soooooo nice. We dropped our bags and checked out our wonderful deluxe double queen room. No balcony or patio on this particular room, but corner windows that were nice to see out. Coffee maker, 2 nice closets, nice size bathroom with heated towel racks. We headed to a wonderful Mother's Day Brunch w/salmon/orzo pasta, chicken marsala, wonderful salad, lamb, ham, veggies, split pea soup w/mint, waffles, bacon, sausage, omelette station, pies, cakes - everything was great. Piano player and the dining room is beautiful with high ceilings, beautiful draperies. Perfect Mother's Day Brunch - way much food, but all with great flavors and service. That evening after relaxing in our room we headed to Darby's Tavern for a light dinner and wine. Had a seafood cobb salad and Portabella Mushroom Quesadilla. Very small and cozy, casual atmosphere - perfect after such a huge meal with sandwich choices, etc. We would highly recommend this property for a special evening or weekend getaway. It is close to Raleigh, Wake Forest - we live near Youngsville, NC and it was only 1.5 hour drive for us through beautiful countryside. The property does need to advertise more South of Virginia and get their website updated and ability to view rooms and make reservations online would be great. They do have a spa, but we didn't make an appointment and we did tour the indoor pool and fitness room and both were total quality as well. We will return!

• Liked — Beautiful Property & History of the Plantation - food, accomodations, service
  • Disliked — Prices were a little high for the brunch after add on's of coffee & mimosa
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ncsunshine
Uk
Reviewed 6 March 2008

Having booked visiting employees into the nearest Holiday Inn for too long Berry Hill was discovered by my employers. I have quite honestly never stayed in a hotel that has such a personable and yet exclusive feel. Timeless yet contemporary, a truly magnificent property in stunning settings - an oasis in the otherwise un-remarkable South Boston, VA. Are you passing through? a traveller? road warrior? visiting family? Whatever...take advantage of Berry Hill Estate's modest rates and indulge in a perfect pause.

Having spent single nights and now almost a month at Berry Hill I have never been disapointed by the cleanliness, efficiancy and overall quality of all service while in residence. Gym, pool and extensive grounds only add to the attraction. If you are staying in South Boston, do not consider anywhere else, stay here!

• Liked — Timeless charm and classic comfort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank braddan
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 31 December 2007

We stayed at Berry Hill for 2 nights December 22-24. What a great place! They need better advertising to get the word out on them. All of the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. We had a lovely tour of the house with William. He told us the history and showed us the suites and other rooms that are available. We had a chance to walk around the grounds and over to the old ruins, which was great. There are lots of places to explore in nice weather. Also, i liked that you could lounge or relax in any of the rooms in the main mansion, even play pool. Even the building that houses the rooms had a lovely little room in the entry with a fireplace. It was very homey feeling.

Our room was very generously sized. I loved the canopy bed and huge bathroom. I also liked that the pool/workout room was very short walk from where the rooms are. I think the amenities (e.g. soap, lotion) could be improved to be more spa-like to play off the fact there is a spa onsite, but i'm just snobby about that sort of thing! The room had plenty of storage for clothes, a safe, and tons of great mirrors and lighting. I especially liked the towel warmer in the bathroom. The only thing lacking was a decent vending machine. You had to walk over to the pool to get a bottle of pop. There were no snack vending machines that I saw. I also loved the patio outside the room, but due to coldish and rainy weather we weren't able to use it.

The pool was fabulous. So warm like bath water. We had it all to ourselves. It is a great size and had lots of lounge chairs around. We didn't use the workout room, but it was nicely equipped. We had reservations at the spa for massages, but sadly due to a family emergency, they were canceled!

We ate dinner and brunch at the restaurant and also got food and drinks to go from the Tavern. At dinner, there was a jazz band, which was nice, but a tad loud. The food was tasty, they had a decent selection to choose from. We were stuffed with no room for dessert. The brunch buffet was also nice. All the servers were very friendly too and made the experience very pleasant. The Tavern is cute and they were able to wrap our food and drinks (wine and beer) to go so we could enjoy it back in our room.

We had a bit of trouble finding the place, but once we arrived, we enjoyed and relaxed every minute. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Great staff, historic, yet modern setting, very comfortable!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zoecatva
Virginia
Reviewed 22 May 2007

I travel to South Boston 3 times a year for business and everytime I am lucky enough to be put up in Berry Hill. The town of South Boston is very small and there is not much to do for a vacation, but Berry Hill provides a wonderful escape when all you want to do is relax and enjoy some southern hospitality.

The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated. I've always managed to get a room with a lovely outdoor porch with chairs. The bathrooms are stunning and clean. The 4 post beds give the rooms a truly unique plantation experience...you feel as though you are transported back to the days the inn was a functioning plantation.

There are many things to do on the plantation itself, although I haven't had the time to take advantage of them. There is so much history in this place and so much to learn. If you are lucky enough to stay on a weekend or when they have a full house, the provided breakfast is outstanding and a true southern buffet. I would highly recommend this resort for an escape weekend or even a honeymoon.

• Liked — the history, beautiful rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#6 of 11 in Danville
Best Western Windsor Inn & Suites

Been to Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!