“Facilities are better than exspected, watch out for the spa”

Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in South Boston
Reviewed 2 June 2009

We booked the basic rm for $149/and it was large, high ceilings nicely furnished and bath was nice, no jetted tubs in the facility however. There was a wedding that night at the facility and I think most of the guests were there for the weekend to attend. The Carrington is not a real resturant, they bring the food up the elevator from the kitchen to an upstairs parlor rm in the mansion which I though was strange. This was a big disappointment for me, I enjoy eating in a nice resturant. There was however 2 of these types of resturants on Main St that were highly recommended. The Darby Tavern was as advertised and ok. We ate there but were not really impressed by the food but for the price it was fine, $6 and $7 for sandwiches. The spa is mixed reviews. I got a hot stone massage that was very good although we started 30 min late because a couple in front of us got there late. My boyfirends massage was suppose to last 1 hr only lasted 30 min, and the girl really beat him up even after he expressed she was causing him more pain than relaxation and preceeded to talk the entire time about herself and all her life problems. He was extremely upset about not getting a good massage. The spa set up is fine I don't think they have a large staff. The staff couldn't answer many questions about the resort which I thought was odd. Outside of the spa the staff was excellant.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 April 2009

We stayed here for a quiet weekend. Had no expectations when we arrived so we were pleasantly surprised by the lovely rooms: large baths, balcony with rocking chairs, hard wood floors and canopied 4 poster bed. The room was very spacious. We had dinner at the resturant which was good. They have a lovely spa and indoor pool. If you want excitement this is not the place to stay. But if you want a quiet retreat you will definitely enjoy youself.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at Berry Hill for New Years. We wanted to go somewhere and have a great evening as well as stay the night. When we arrived the check in was great everyone was so helpful. Our room was beautiful the scenery from the balcony was beautiful. Dinner in the dining room was outstanding and so was the band. The staff over did themselves helping all the guest to bring in there New Years in a great way. The next morning we enjoyed breakfast in the dining room and it was very filling. I would recommend anyone that wants to getaway for a great evening to visit Berry Hill

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank traveler0903
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I recently visited the Berry Hill Estate this past weekend. It was absolutely the most horrid experience of my life. The room when we checked in was grotesque, it looked like it had not been cleaned in months. The Tavern had ants crawling all over the counter and tables. And I saw the general manager...He was just plain disgusting, sloppy, and oblivious to the things that were happening there. I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN!!!!

And I wouldn't if I was you!!!

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 21 September 2008

This place has no clue.

If you're going to ignore the problems noted in some reviews, the please do not subject your children to this place.

There is no food service available most hours and when they do decide to open something, the service is poor and the food worse... not to mention being overpriced.

If you're lucky, you'll find a vending machine that works but if you don't have change, you're out of luck and the front desk is useless.

They just don't care.

We had a problem in the room. The heater woke us up in the middle of the night with an aweful noise that would not stop even when the unit was shut down. When the clueless maintenanc eman arrived, he comes into the room talking so loud that if the noise hadn't already woken up half the floor, he sure did!

So he finally gets the thing to shut up, we get into bed and you'll never guess what happened next, THE FRONT DESK CALLS!!!

I'm telling you, these people are absolutely clueless and do not deserve your hard-earned cash.

And by the way, the noise came back!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jdonebay
Reviewed 9 July 2008

My husband and I spent out honeymoon at Berry Hill. Check in was flawless! We were greeted with smiles and congratulations from staff. We were still in our wedding garb and the staff offered to take pictures of us with our limo driver as well as pictures inside the main house. Our reservation was for one of the personal Inns (The Jefferson). It was absolutely beautiful! We had a wonderful view of the property and the driveway leading up to the main house. It was like having a little house all to ourselves with spacious closets, huge bathroom and a romantic queen canopy bed. There was a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries compliments of the Berry Hill Inn staff delivered by room service which was a wonderful surprise! My husband and I spent one day at the Blackberry Spa......Oh my gosh! It was soooooo nice! We didn't want to leave. There was an indoor pool that we had all to ourselves; as well as a sauna and workout room. The food at the restaurant was absolutely delicious! The chef came to our table each night that we dined, to ensure that our food was cooked to our taste! One night we even had a "made to order" meal in which the chef cooked whatever we wanted. We had lunch at Darby's Tavern which was also nice and quaint and once again the food was great! We were given a personal tour of the property by a gentleman named Leeland and we were in AWE of his knowledge of the property and the intriguing family history. We were speechless after our tour of the Diamond Cemetery. Leeland did not miss any details! I can honestly say that I hated to leave!!! We will never forget this little hideaway! My husband and I plan to come back for our future wedding anniversaries.
I recommend Berry Hill Inn to anyone who wants uninterrupted moments, and who needs rest and relaxation. All newlyweds should spend their honeymoon here!

T. Scales (Danville, VA)

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traboo
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I was told it recently went under new ownership again. I was there on June 14. The food was not that good, very high priced. The grounds appeared they had not been taken care of. Front desk was great at check in. When we got to our room, the air would not work, maintenance came to reprogram the remote. There was ants in the room, the room was filthy. I tried to speak to the general manager, but never got a response. They had a couple events going on, and I felt sorry for the people at the events hope they were treated better than we were.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
Super 8 South Boston VA
Super 8 South Boston VA
#3 of 7 in South Boston
Days Inn & Suites South Boston

Been to Berry Hill Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!