“Total Relaxation”

Ranked #2 of 2 South Boston B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Total Relaxation”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We were looking for a weekend runaway with total relaxation, without a long commute. The Charles Bass House fit the bill in every category. John was the perfect host, with tips of restaurants, activities and must sees in the area. The downstairs suite was awesome, the breakfast table spread with fresh fruit, morning paper, and hot served meals were delightful. The evenings in the hot tub were just what we needed after a day out adventuring and eating the local cuisine. We will definitely be back and have already shared this hide-away with our friends. Thanks John and Raisin for a perfect weekend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1moresunset

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stayed here with my sister and brother-in-law in late April in the lower level, two room suite. One room was a formal bedroom equipped with furniture, including a desk and chair. The other was sort of a "living" room equipped with a sleeper sofa, TV, and table. I slept on the sleeper sofa, which was pretty comfortable and had several big, fluffy pillows. The TV did have HBO channels, so I didn't miss my favorite series. Wi-fi was available, which I used on my smartphone for better speed (Sprint doesn't work that well in this part of the state).

Unfortunately, our stay was to be in town for the funeral of my Grandmother, so we didn't get to use the hot tub, sitting area, or sun porch....but our weekend stay did include a simple, yet delicious breakfast, complete with an omelet, tomatoes and avocado, bacon, fresh fruit, rye toast, and some delicious homemade preserves.

I took note of the cleanliness, and "at-home" feeling that made this place so comfortable. I sent my wife back home in St. Louis some pictures and she wants to stay here when we visit in May. Stay tuned for that review....

All in all, we will be back and I recommend this for anyone that happens to be in South Boston.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you are staying multiple nights,,,,,you just might get a better rate!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kevin_fuel4workouts
North Dakota
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I've never stayed at a B&B before. I always thought they'd be too personal intrusive, and we'd be forced to socialize with other guests when we really want to stay there to have time for ourselves. My husband, brother and I had some last minute travel due to a death in the family. We drove from Illinois to South Boston in one day and our stay at Charles Bass house was comfort and relaxation despite the somber reason for our trip. Local hotels are few and were getting full and I searched the internet for other options and found this B&B.

The home itself, built in 1904, is large, beautiful and nicely decorated. It has a nice presence on the street, in a quiet, older neighborhood in South Boston. We turned the corner and parked in back and were greeted with jazz music playing on the large back porch, complete with tea lights. The host, John, left a note for us to go on in. The guest suite locks and has its own key. The room is actually two separate rooms: a bedroom and a sitting room separated by a door - this was perfect as my husband and I stayed in the bedroom and my brother used the fairly comfortable sleeper sofa in the sitting room. There was a TV in the sitting room but we didn't really use it.

The bathroom was not huge, but was also comfortable and clean. The closet had extra toilet paper and towels and the bathroom had soap, shampoo/conditioner, and a nosy peek inside the medicine cabinet showed other things like contact solution and shaving cream which I'm sure we can use if we need to. There is a second half bathroom on the back porch near the hot tub which was nice to use since there were three of us getting dressed each morning.

A welcome note on our bed encouraged us to use the common areas to our desire - the kitchen, formal dining room, parlour/sitting room and sun room. The lower level is quite large and there are lots of coffee table books, art and music to explore. There's also a piano in the sitting room we were welcome to use. Soft drinks, tea, wine and beer were at our disposal. We were encouraged to make use of the large hot tub on the porch. We didn't have a chance during our stay, but I did enjoy the porch for a bit one morning - there are tables and chairs both under umbrellas and in the sun if you want to soak up some rays.

John was a great host. It seemed like he wasn't there, as he stays in his quarters upstairs most of the time and lets us have use of his home. He made us breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings which were simple, filling and elegant. Eggs and toast with an avocado/tomato/salsa garnish, as well as fresh sliced fruit in mini ramekins plus homemade jam one morning, french toast another. Complete with choice of juices and tea. John makes conversation when prompted but has his own breakfast in the kitchen as he waited on us. He makes it seem like you're an old friend and he's making you breakfast and staying in his guest room.

We were gone until after 11pm each night but we couldn't help but have tea and wine and browse the books and music and chat in the sitting room before retiring. John let us have privacy and his website states, he wants us to feel comfortable in his home and we did. Next time we visit family in South Boston, we will stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Rappahannock County, Virginia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We were enroute to a family event in North Carolina and stayed overnight "half way" at the Charles Bass House. We wish our family event had been there instead. The house is large, lovely, and nicely furnished. The owner is personable without being intrusive. A great hot tub on the porch, and a very well-prepared breakfast.

Room Tip: The two room suite on the ground floor is large and likely would be very quiet; we stayed in the sec...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RappahannockVA
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 October 2009

The B&B is a small place in that it has only two guest rooms. One is a beautiful and very roomy suite with a private bath, and the other is a very nice guest room that shares a bathroom with the owner. The house is a 19th Century Victorian that has been beautifully maintained and updated. Very roomy; very warm; very accommodating. It has a nice hot tub on the back porch. The owner, John Fuller, is very charming and aims to please. the neighborhood is impressive and that section of town is historic and quaint. I completely enjoyed my stay there and look forward to being able to return.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank klipspringer
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 5 November 2007

My wife and I stayed in the Guest Suite which was clean and nicely prepared. An adjoining private room was equally pleasing with a couch, chairs and television. Unfortuantely, the satellite television was not working and I could do nothing to fix it. John Fulton, the innkeeper was not at the house at this time either. That was a minor distraction that did not really detract from our stay. John is a very kind and gracious host who granted us access to his kitchen and anything we desired to eat or drink. In the morning, he prepared quite a tasty multiple course breakfast at the time we requested. The house, while in need of some restoration, is quaint and well, neat! It boasts originality of the turn of the century era with modern conveniences such as the hot tub (which we enjoyed!) out on the secluded deck. Although South Boston is not a hot bed of activity, we walked into town to the Bistro 1888 and had a nice meal (portions could have been a little larger though). We enjoyed looking at the styling of similar houses in the area as we walked. Overall it was a very nice experience and we would recommend The Charles Bass House for a peaceful stay in the area.

• Liked — The innkeeper was a gracious host.
  • Disliked — The satellite tv was not working.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Clarksville
Super 8 South Boston VA
Super 8 South Boston VA
#3 of 7 in South Boston

Been to Charles Bass House? Share your experiences!