“Still a Great Spot to Rest up After Diving”

Americas Best Value Inn South Hill
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in South Hill
Seneca SC
“Still a Great Spot to Rest up After Diving”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

After a full day of diving training it was nice to come back to a clean, cool room. The Housekeepers are truly gems and worked hard to make sure our stay was great! The management worked with me to ensure that the additional room I needed was located close to mine. It is an older motel but clean and comfortable complete with a medium sized refrigerator and microwave. Thank you and we will be back as it is only a 25 minute drive to Lake Rawlings and affords better services than anything closer.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want and always remember if you are staying a few days in the motel leave the house...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
abvisouthhill, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn South Hill, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear mike351SenecaSC,

Thank you for sharing you honest opinion regarding your stay with us from 2012. Sorry for taking so long to respond to your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our housekeeping quality. Please know that we have also recently renovated our guest rooms with new furniture. We hope that you come back again sometime!

Americas Best Value Inn-South Hill VA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I checked into this hotel at 0200 in the morning (after an exhausting trip through Virginia).
I attempted to use the restroom and saw crawling bugs, flies and spiders. I sprayed with disinfect and slept in the chair (after not being comfortable with sleeping on the bed). My friend slept in the other bed. I grabbed the pillow and slept on it. My friend was sleeping soundly and I didn't want to disturb him. The next moment..I woke up with my face itching and burning. I immediately went to my van and slept until daylight. I woke up to a painful, burning, itching, swollen face. It looked as though I was in a boxing match. The bug entry sites were visible. It was the most terrifying experience. We approached the manager to discuss the condition of the room and his accountability in getting me medical attention. He immediately dismissed our conversation and expressing disrespect. He stated "it's not my problem." We took pics of the room and my face. I had to get medical treatment and off from work for several days. I have filed a complaint with the Corporate office & the local health department,
I don't want this to happen to any one else.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ebow0824

Travellers are raving about these South Hill hotels

VA & SC
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Clean rooms, attentive staff and food available within walking distance. If you are going to dive at Lake Rawlings VA this might be a great choice. The prices are very reasonable and we will do it again!

Room Tip: If you don't want to hike up stairs ask for a lower level room, all rooms come with mini fridge...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Mikes351,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We pride ourselves in offering great service and clean rooms at reasonable prices. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Don't go there at any time. .. stay some other hotels with few more dollers. but not there. This was the nastiest place I have ever stayed at. room was smelly, Bugs, roach tapes with bugs on them. Even they do not talk well with customer. the Night desk attendent pretend not to understand what we are trying to say.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank thefu p
Dear thefup,

I am concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. I sincerely apologize for not responding sooner. We have recently updated our facilities and also hired/trained new housekeepers. We also have a licensed pest company which routinely treat our rooms. I am sorry that we could not meet your expectations.

Whiteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed there because of course the price. What is the saying? Some things you just can't put a price on? This was the nastiest place I have ever stayed at. Bugs, roach tapes with bugs on them. Why doesn't this place have an exterminator? The towels the 2 little ones we received. There were 5 of us and they had to hunt down 3 extra ones. NO wash rags. We asked if they offered cots at additional cost. They explained to me that they were packed in storage and if I wanted they could go try and find one and unpack it. NO!!! Because EVERYTHING stunk... the sheets... the towels... the pillows.. the blankets. There were NO fitted sheets. So soon as you rolled over in the bed you were laying on top of the mattress. HOW NASTY IS THAT?????? I spoke with the older lady at the front desk and all she did was look at me with a smirky look and said "Well I have been telling him to order some fitted sheets." and "I'm sorry". Are you serious?? For what we went through and we get an "I'm sorry"? TAKE MY ADVISE..... STAY AWAY FROM THIS HELL HOLE!!!! I will make sure I tell any and everyone I come in contact with about my experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel/motel.. WORST EVER!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Lorri W
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I guaranteed my reservation online with a credit card. Only to be turned away upon arrival because my rooms were given to current hotel guest due to the hurricane. Two days later, a pending charge is still showing. In fact, keeping that money from me and from being used as I see fit since I did not recieve services from the establishment I was guaranteed 2 rooms.
The more important issue here is that I arrived at the hotel expecting to shelter myself and my children from a hurricane to be rudely informed by the General Manager that a message was left on my phone. I checked my phone, the call came in at 11:45 am (I arrived at the hotel at 12:15 pm, PRIOR to check in time at 2 pm) This establishment had rented my rooms to someone else because they wouldn't leave. Those people did not have a reservation that was GUARANTEED by a credit card. I asked him what he was going to do with me and he said nothing. I will admit I had an outburst in the lobby but what was I to do with my children in the storm?
I had no where to stay with my children in the hurricane. No way to protect them from the weather, no where for them to sleep, no way to keep them safe. I could not even go home because all the bridges and tunnels were closed due to the weather. I want you to fully understand the terror of a mother by herself trying to keep 3 children safe in the face of unknown natural disaster. At this point in time, I was unable to obtain a room at any other establishment as THEY honored their patron's reservations. I waited around for hours searching frantically for any of the hotels that might have a cancellation during this hurricane. It was an unsuccessful wait. I must say, it turned out to be a real disaster.
My understanding after some research is that when a room or rooms are reserved guaranteed by credit card that it is franchise practice to hold that room and to charge the card for that night if the person does not show. I arrived before check in on my guaranteed arrival date and was turned away. There is still at minimum a hold on my credit card. For me ,this was the most horrible experience. Imagine my state of mind for myself and my children after having spent the storm in a Honda Accord?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank glambert6437
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is not a place to take your family. I was afraid to sleep at night because of the variety of crawling insects in the room. I even had to brush them off the bed. Fortunately, I didn't see any bedbugs. The carpeting on the floor was in poor condition with frayed edges. The dresser was sunken in the middle and the drawers didn't completely shut. One evening a couple rented a room next to ours for a few hours. Needless to say, we could hear everything going on over there (you know what I mean). There was no swimming poor or fitness center; however, the wifi worked well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family