“One Night Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in South Hill
Toms River, New Jersey
“One Night Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Betty and I were quite pleased with our accommodations for our one night stay. We were quite comfortable for the night and had a great nights sleep with out any disturbances. The breakfast was very good as well and the oatmeal was really good met up to my standards.

Green Features: Betty and I were very pleased with the people and the facility. We took a dip in the hot tub and got recommendations for a very good meal.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim-n-Betty-Travels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Alexandria, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I'm glad that we only needed to stay here one night, but one was too many. The room had an unbelievably noisy air-conditioner -- one of those large units under the window that most other hotels did away with years ago. The control was on the wall and you could set it to the desired temperature but that just resulted in the AC making perpetual noise and blowing so much cold air that it made the bed next to it freezing.

In addition, there isn't much soundproofing. Several rooms across the hall from us were taken by some kind of family group, it sounded like female adults and children. They all spoke loudly in the hallways, which wasn't the hotel's fault, but once they were in their rooms we could hear every word they said and all their cackling laughter, late into the night and starting up at 7:30 am.

Even though we were on the fourth floor we could hear some people calling back and forth to each other in the outside parking lot late at night.

The room was clean but with so little extra room in addition to the beds that the single chair was wedged between the bed and the bathroom wall, rather than in any kind of sitting area or corner.

Everything was very clean, the bathroom was ordinary but nice (towels were good quality and there were plenty of them). The lobby area was attractive with comfortable seating. Breakfast was very good with an excellent assortment of choices. The hotel was set back far enough from the road that there was no road noise, at least.

I really would like to rate this hotel higher but being given a choice between trying to sleep with a loud blasting AC unit freezing us, or doing without the AC in June in Virginia, wasn't acceptable, and neither was having to be kept awake and then awakened by other guests. If you are a sound sleeper, you'd probably like this place just fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SCStanley, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites South Hill I-85, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
NYYVA,

I'm sorry your recent visit with us did not meet your expectations. Traditionally, we host a quiet environment for our guests, however, it is apparent that was not the case during your stay. I would encourage you to communicate with the front desk in the future, whether with us or at another hotel, if your stay is being negatively impacted by some aspect of your stay or by other guests. You, as our guest, should be assured a restful stay at our hotel, and we, as your host, expect all of our guests to be respectful of one another.

I am grateful you found your room to be clean and fresh, that we were able to fulfill our Promise to you in that regard. I would invite you to stay in one of our studio suites next time you are in Southern Virginia. Our studios are spacious, including a sitting area in addition to the sleeping space. The sitting area includes a sleeper sofa, desk, and a second television, and these rooms are great for families.

We have a great breakfast, and I'm happy you found choices that were fulfilling. Thank you also for identifying the positive aspects of your experience with us.

We really strive to exceed the expectations of our guest and deliver a positively memorable experience. I'm very sorry that both a noisy air conditioner and noisy guests got in the way of us fulfilling that objective. I would ask you to please contact me at the hotel so I can identify the room you stayed in and address the air conditioner issue so no future guest will be impacted. The hotel number is 434-447-6800.

Steven Stanley
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a pretty standard Fairfield Inn property. The title says "Suites" but we didn't have one. The breakfast was typical for a Fairfield property. Our king room was fresh, very clean, comfortable, but a little on the small side compared with other recent Fairfield stays. The indoor pool we tried was small and the water slightly cloudy. Two objections for Marriott to consider: 1) the older furniture was not equipped to support travelers needing to charge multiple devices. The bedside lamps had no outlets, and the desk had a single outlet. 2). The small refrigerator has no temperature adjustment and was too warm. A bag of ice I left in my cooler stayed better then a bag of cubes I placed in the refrigerator! Would I choose to stay here again? Yes, this is a fine hotel, but mostly I chose this property to get my Marriott rewards points for the stay.

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel gets the afternoon sun, but the AC was more than equal to cooling off the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jzippin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here overnight twice on a trip to Atlanta. Spent the night driving south and then a few days later drove a little longer to get here on the way back.

The hotel was clean, convenient, and the staff were friendly. It's far enough off the Interstate to be quiet. I stayed on the top floor and it was quiet, even close to the elevator. The room was pretty large for a box hotel and had flat screen TV, coffee and a fair sized bath. I'd stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Me and my wife stayed here in order to attend a funeral in Henderson NC. The staff and accommodations were excellent. We were greeted with a smile when we arrived and was given a smile when we left. I was so satisfied this time, I'm planning on staying there again in about two weeks.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danny679
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Had the pleasure of staying here when we got caught in an ice storm on I85. The hotel has a very warm and inviting foyer. The desk clerk was very professional but friendly. Our room was tastefully decorated, bed was comfortable, and it was very clean. The pool was inviting and well maintained. I loved using the hot tub and just watch it snow/sleet outside the window. I also used the laundry facilities since we spent almost the whole day inside waiting for the weather to improve. Breakfast was yummy ...fresh fruit including grapefruit and orange sections. This was a well maintained and run Marriot property. If one gets stuck in an ice storm....and you can't be home...this is the place to be!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TigerLily1010
Quincy, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

These folks here are amazing. Consistent results on every trip of the five I made all summer long, the attitude toward the customer is top-notch, and the rates were extremely accommodating.

Very clean and comfortable - I thought I was in a $300 room when it was only $100.

They are usually full during the summer, so book early.

Word to the wise...several times they were booked on my last minute business trips and I had to stay in the competitor's room for the first night of a two week trip and I just about died...trust me, the Fairfield IS THE ONLY PLACE to stay in South Hill.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good on all four floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business