All reviews miller family music room owner's suite bacon grass fed french press coffee my husband and i family portraits lamb glass of wine front porch skyline drive homemade granola art galleries fine linens rappahannock county southern hospitality
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband and I spent one night at the Inn at Mt. Vernon Farm, a beautifully restored farm house filled with tasteful antiques. The farm house sits on a hill with a panoramic view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The bed was very comfortable with luxury linens and pillows. The bathroom featured a wonderful glass shower as well as a claw foot tub, terry bathrobes, and many towels.
Books and current magazines were in the room and the entry area.
Breakfast was outstanding. The dining room is lovely. We had a selection of fresh fruit salad, homemade granola, scrambled eggs, bacon and lamb sausage from grass fed animals on the farm, buttermilk blackberry pancakes, from berries on the farm, with real maple syrup. While all was very elegant, the guests were informally dressed for the spectacular hikes in the adjacent Shenadoah National Park. Other activities nearby are antique stores, art galleries, wineries, excellent restaurants including the world class Inn of Little Washington.

Room Tip: The rooms are on the expensive side, but well worth it. All the rooms looked lovely. There is a cabin also, but we did not see the inside.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We wanted to cut the 10 hour trip in half so we decided to stop in Sperryville and stay here with the hopes of proving the other reviews to be true. The inn absolutely surpassed our expectations... ! My parents and I stayed in the Foxes Lair room which was very comfortable; my Mom loved the sheets. The owner, Mr. Miller, happened to stop by, and indulged us in a private tour of the grounds. What an awesome learning experience and a beautiful way to discover his holistic approach to farming. The sun was setting over the Rappahannock hills as the grass-fed pigs followed us out to the area where all the cows were chowing down grass. We met the donkey and his llama friend, and admired the chicken coop, and learned some aspects of farming that hopefully will inspire every farmer and consumer! An experience that I highly recommend, and a spot that I will definitely be returning to one day. Thanks again to the owner for his warm welcome, - the Robinson family

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Just got back from the Inn at Mount Vernon and had the most wonderful wedding weekend! My best friend got married in the barn located at the bottom of the farm. It was a wedding right out of a magazine. The best part was that we were all able to stay in the inn together. The owners and staff we so kind and thoughtful. We stayed in the Queen room and the king size bed was so comfortable. The property was so beautiful that you did not need to leave. It was so nice to wake up to the smell of a home cooked breakfast. I can't say enough about the food. AMAZING! Thanks for a great weekend and we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jen Z
Reviewed 10 April 2013

What an absolute TREAT in the middle of rolling hills with the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance! Our group of 5 was pampered by the unbelievably comfortable bedding and Sferra sheets, gracious hospitality by the owners and staff, exquisitely decorated common rooms and beautifully furnished bedrooms...but the piece de resistance was the breakfast! Homemade lamb and pork sausage straight from the farm, bacon, blackberry pancakes, direct-from-the- henhouse eggs, pastries, fresh cut fruit and French dip coffee made for a wonderful start to the day. The place was immaculately kept....the views of the 850+ acres of farmland were stunning and everyone made us feel right at home. We toured wineries by day, explored nearby Washington, VA (great lunch at Tula's), enjoyed a terrific dinner in Sperryville at The Thornton River Grill and returned "home" to homemade brownies, wine and drinks while we played cards in the living room. Another highlight of our visit was a hike around the property, enjoying a visit to the family graveyard (the Inn is 5th generation of the Miller family), a "photo opp" at an old caboose, and a walk through the property's enormous and grand barn, now rented out for private parties. We lucked into a tour by the current owner and learned about the family's commitment to environmentally and animal-friendly farming methodologies....this is the real deal! I don't think I will ever eat anything but grass-fed beef from now on. The farm even has a store stocked with organic chicken, beef and pork products that enable you to remember your trip. The rates are very reasonable for the luxury, comfort and customer service...don't miss this GEM of an Inn. Thank you for making our "50th Happy BDay Weekend" so very special. I look forward to returning in the fall when the leaves are changing. I almost forgot our great happy hour (we picked up wine and snacks in nearby Sperryville) on the bocce court...could not have been more fun.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms -- all are beautifully furnished with lovely up-to-date luxury bathrooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne m
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The Mt Vernon Inn was immaculately renovated only a few years ago. We had the place to ourselves Friday night and only one other couple Saturday night on a blustery weekend in February. The host, Lillian, is an absolute treasure, born and raised locally, she has worked on the farm for over 30 years, and has the quintessential southern lady grace. The breakfast is fantastic, mostly meat and eggs from the farm, plus other gourmet delights. I don't know if they have a special breed of chickens, but their eggs are incredible - I've never seen such rich colored yolks, and we typically by our eggs from farmers markets. You'll definitely want to visit the farm store and stock up on eggs and meats to savor and share the goodness of this place when you get home. We're mostly vegetarian eaters, but the following weekend we grilled up the lamb sausages, lamb kabobs, and chicken with friends and it was the best grilled meal I've ever had.
The house is divided very nicely so that even when they are full I can imagine you have good privacy. They also have a fantastic patio with tables, a high end charcoal grill and a bocce court, which looks like great fun for anytime other than the dead of winter. I imagine the perfect summer evening, grilling lamb, beef and chicken, playing bocce with new and old friends, with a variety of local wines and beers on ice!
We walked into to town over the new bridge they built and checked out the Copper Fox Antique mart, Wasmund's Distillery (whiskey), and various art galleries - lots of interesting stuff at every stop. We then drove a few miles and did a hike in Shenandoah National Park.
On this winter weekend, we enjoyed a fire in the living room with a snifter of Wasmund's Single Malt we bought at the distillery earlier in the day.
Fantastic weekend. This place is definitely a great value!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Music Room, which has a great sitting space for talking and reading (better than the other rooms). Great collection of unusual books and fantastic views of the mountains on two sides. All the beds are luxurious. The bathrooms are modern, clean, and elegant.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple