All reviewsmiller familymusic roomowner's suitebacongrass fedfrench press coffeemy husband and ifamily portraitslambglass of wineskyline drivefront porchhomemade granolaart galleriesfine linensrappahannock countysouthern hospitality
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here one night while attending an event in Sperryville recently. There aren't really any hotels in this area - some B&Bs, but that's about it. We expected this to be a typical B&B - so we were completely blown away by how amazing this place is. The house is at the top of a hill (or a small mountain... not sure how to define it), with breathtaking views in all directions. The property has been in the owner's family since the 1820s and is still a working farm. The owner renovated the house a few years ago, and he did a superb job. Everything is top-notch and luxe. The grounds are simply breathtaking - meticulously landscaped, with stunning scenery.

The house and property are fabulous - but the owner's and innkeeper's friendliness, warmth, and genuine commitment to excellence are what make this place truly exceptional. It's an organic farm (the owner explained that he is committed to improving the grass and water quality every single year), and the innkeeper, Lillian, serves simply fabulous food from the farm - fresh eggs, homemade yogurt and jams, fresh fruit.

As we left, I was already making a list of reasons to come back here soon - a peaceful place to write, a great place to hike, a wonderful place to relax. I feel fortunate to have found the Inn at Mount Vernon Farm and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The heat and air conditioning in the two guest rooms on the first floor are controlled by the main heating/air conditioning controls for the entire floor. The rooms on the second floor have individual controls.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a 3 day stay at this beutiful place. Now wish we had spent a whole week there. The setting is spectacular (country views from elevation) and the accomodations are quaint, clean and historic. Breakfast was a wonderful mix of items mostly from on the farm. The host was very pleasant and gave us plenty of space but was there when we needed. WHen in the area make sure to pop in to Sperryville and Little Washington, there are some excellent stores and resteraunts in both. We especially liked the Thornton River Grille!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teddy-oracle
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The drive from Richmond to The Inn at Mount Vernon Farms was bucolic to say the least. I almost ran off the road coming up the drive way trying to take in all the barns, animals, sounds and smells.
By the time I got to the stately home/inn, I was absolutely speechless. It took a few hours to assimilate my surroundings. Each room was perfectly appointed. I honestly wouldn't have changed one single thing. The linens were heavenly and I slept like one of the lambs in the field...full moon shining down on all. I used a towel and it was whisked away as soon as I left my quarters...thanks to an elf named Jackie. She and Lillian fixed a sumptuous breakfast of blueberry pancakes, home made granola, yogurt, fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage, avocado, tomato, cucumber slices all washed down with delicious tea. A walk around the farm followed by tour of art galleries and The School House shops allowed my breakfast to settle. All this was wrapped around 3 Castleton concerts. Maestro Maazel would have been so proud of each participant. It was one of the most amazing 30 hours I've ever spent. My thanks to the INN and its fantastic hosts.They had thought out every detail for the comfort and pleasure of their guests. This is a FOUR star chapter in my magical memory book.

Room Tip: They all looked to be perfection. You could not make an incorrect choice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Everything about this 1870's recently-renovated mansion on a working farm is first-class: the accommodations, the food, the beautiful bathrooms and the breathtaking scenery. The beauty of the house is exceeded only by the warmth of the innkeepers. Everything was superb. You are close to Sperryville and multiple antique shops, the town of Little Washington, and the Castleton Festival (if you go in June-July.) If you are not ready to spend hundreds of dollars at the wonderful Inn at Little Washington, there is the terrific Thornton River Grill in the town of Sperryville. We had a great time!

Marty S.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This inn combines immaculately maintained, esthetic accommodations, beautiful vistas from a dominant hilltop setting surrounded by an upscale farm with cattle, sheep, horses, piglets (and even a guard llama!), superb southern-style breakfast and gracious hosts.There's a mountain river burbling below stocked with rainbow trout. The marble-clad bathrooms and modern fixtures are equivalent to those at any Ritz-Carlton and the showers divine with unusually generous water pressure and instant heat.
The underlying historic town of Sperryville boasts toney shops, market and a very welcoming pub in an old renovated schoolhouse.
We based here to attend an opera at nearby Castleton Festival and cannot wait to repeat and share the experience with close friends! A real find!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple