“Make Hopkins Ordinary your beautiful home base for Shenandoah hiking and vineyard tours”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sperryville
Hopkins Ordinary Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 6 Sperryville B&B and Inns
Olney, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

My husband and I just had a wonderful weekend at the lovely Hopkins Ordinary B&B in Sperryville, Virginia. The charm and character of this renovated historic treasure is only matched by the wonderful service and care provided by Sherri and Kevin, the owners and inn-keepers. This B&B is a short distance from Skyline Drive/Shenandoah National Park and what seemed like at least a dozen Virginia vineyards. Each morning starts with an amazing home-made breakfast that was enough that you could have just a snack for lunch. I consider myself a "foodie" and I give five stars to these breakfasts (and the morning coffee)! After breakfast Sherri and Kevin were ready with tips, maps and suggestions for your day if needed. I HIGHLY recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a relaxing escape, a hike, good food, great service. -- Christine Young

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

Sherri and Kevin are the epitome of what innkeepers should be. We have stayed with them for three years running, and each year they scale new heights with their wonderful breakfast! Now, they're even making their own luscious cheese. During more than three decades of dining at The Inn At Little Washington, we have stayed at every B&B in the area and The Hopkins Ordinary is, hands down, the best.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

My wife and I stayed at Hopkins for a one-night get away after a day of hiking in Shenandoah. The owners Kevin and Sherri were more than accommodating and made our short visit very memorable. We were immediately offered a beverage upon arrival while we cleaned up for dinner reservations later that evening. After dinner we enjoyed a starlit view from the beautiful deck. We slept in the Oregano Room, which was small but quite comfortable. Because of an extra early departure on Monday morning we were not able to try the breakfast, but Kevin and Sherri were very gracious to leave out some scones and fresh coffee for our commute back to the city. For the price and comfort, this is a great get away with very accommodating owners. Light sleepers may have a problem with the sometimes busy main street.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

My husband and I went here for a quiet weekend away from DC, and highly recommend it for that purpose. The owners, Kevin and Sherri, are terrific and willing to go the extra mile to make sure their guests enjoy the stay. They helped us with dinner reservations and recommendations for wineries to visit nearby, so if you're looking for a good place to eat or go wine tasting, definitely talk to them first. We were also impressed with the breakfasts, which included old standbys and more modern, creative touches. The historic hotel (150+ years) was a nice change of pace from the more modern places we usually stay, and we loved that our room came with a wood-burning fireplace. I'd love to come back when the weather is a bit warmer to enjoy hiking in the mountains.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2009

My husband and I wanted to get away from DC for the weekend as it was our first wedding anniversary and we stayed at the Hopkins Ordinary. The owner's Kevin and Sherri were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. The rooms are beautiful, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was amazing and they really went the extra mile to make our stay one we will always remember. I highly recommend this B&B and there was absolutely nothing negative that I can say about our stay. If you are looking for a wonderful weekend away from the city and you want a beautiful place to stay, good wine and incredible food this is the place for you! We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2009

I booked the Hopkins Ordinary for New Year's Eve to get away from DC. The drive, while not short, was well worth the effort.

The owners/hosts were gracious, kind and knowledgeable. They were engaging but careful not to intrude. They brought me tea to my room, lit a fire in the fireplace and had me try some seriously delicious home made cookies.

When I woke up the following morning, there was a great breakfast with three different varieties of bacon. Following my meal, the owners helped me book a massage and directed me to Old Rag, a near by mountain where I was able to take a wonderful and challenging 3 hour hike.

The Hopkins Ordinary will not change your life but it will certainly make it enjoyable while you're there. This place gets my overwhelming approval.

• Liked — The Owners/Hosts
  • Disliked — I wish it were closer
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

My husband and I were "stuck" without a reservation the night of our anniversary. The Hopkins Ordinary had one room available (the Oregano). While the room was small, it did not feel the least bit claustrophobic. The double bed was a concern to us (as my husband is tall), but the mattress was so comfortable, that we slept well. The bathroom was great-big shower with twin shower heads and a nice clean cottage feel. I would reiterate what someone else mentioned-this is not "cutesy" or "country". It is clean and simple, with great linens and nice toiletries.
The innkeepers were helpful and friendly without being invasive. Upon our arrival, Sherry offered to make reservations at the Thornton River Grille across the street.
While relaxing between check-in and dinner, we sat on the top porch in rocking chairs and watched the little town of Sperryville wrap up its day. Sherry brought us wine and tea and cookies to "hold us over".
The whole experience was lovely. It seemed the innkeepers were only interested in our happiness and well-being. They do a great job,

Stayed November 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sperryville
The Mimslyn Inn
The White Moose Inn
#2 of 8 in Washington
The Inn at Little Washington
South Court Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hopkins Ordinary Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!