“To call it Hellish would be unfair to Hell”
Review of Lake Anna Lodge

Lake Anna Lodge
Lake Anna Lodge
“To call it Hellish would be unfair to Hell”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Dirty. Smelly. Water tastes so bad I didn't even dare to brush my teeth with it. Seems popular with loud, obnoxious drunks, who like to set up their lawn chairs directly outside other guests' rooms , party all night, then set up again early in the morning to wake you.

Just a sample: Management ranges from unhelpful to openly hostile-depending on why you're bothering them. Husband and wife managers have screaming fights in front of guests. They take reservations, then give away the room, leaving the arriving customers high and dry. They show prospective customers into rooms that are already occupied. (All of these things happened to members of my family on our recent trip).

A dog was tied up directly behind my room for 3 days straight, day and night, howling.( For all I know, it's still there). Got the royal runaround about it when I asked management. They seemed baffled that anyone should be concerned that a dog was being treated this way. That poor dog's howling kept me awake all night, every night- and not just because it was loud, but because it was upsetting. All I could do was inform Animal Control. And they did come, but said there was nothing they could do because the dog had water, SOME food, and "shelter." (That, in this case, was a small plastic igloo-type thing that gave the dog NO protection from the hot Virgina sun, in the open field she was tied in.)

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank ThisScreenNameTaken

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have stayed at Lake Anna Lodge several times over the years, beginning about 2002. I've never been one to let just one slip up color my view. The rooms have never been good. The plumbing fails: toilets leak, bathtubs don't drain, hot water is cold. The place is cinder block, the beds are nasty. The management has become more and more surly over the years. The wait staff at Chelsea Joe's, Now CJs, is slow and rude. The food is good only if you have to walk to dinner. If you aren't a local, you won't be welcome. You may actually be thrown out.

It hasn't gotten any better. Friends of ours stayed there two weeks ago. Nothing has changed, poor accomodations, no hot water, rude management.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Silent_T_B430

Travellers are raving about these Spotsylvania hotels

Spotsylvania, Virginia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

i stay for 4 days the new people are nice and friendly. the restaurant and bar is reopen they are doing as much they can to get the place in order and keep people happy I hope yow guys help them 2 get the place back in track is open but no phone into jan 28 14 new #will be 540 895 5302

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed there the weekend August 17, 2013 for one night. I could not get past the smell...it is still in my nose. The mattress was flat as a pancake. Seriously, this place should be shut down. The towels were dingy, nasty dirty. I bought my own towels, and throws for the floor, chair and bed. I left my Lysol at home by accident. I thought I would loose my mind. I did have my wipes, and wiped EVERYTHING down. The TV got one station and two remotes. We went next door to the so called restaurant. My husband want crab cakes and specifically asked the so called waiter were they good. He told a bare faced lie. They were horrible...I didn't order anything because I was skeptical...based on the reviews I told my husband they were pretty good. Big mistake. After the bill came $39.00 the waiter asked if we enjoy the meal...I told him no and the crabcakes were burnt and full of some sort of filler. My husband was soo disappointed. He want to say anything. I told the waiter that they were nasty...his reply was I mixed them myself and they didn't have much filler in them. He should be ashamed of himself. A huger indication there may have been something wrong was I saw people drinking but didn't see any food. Even the fries tasted like sawdust. How do you mess up a fry. I would rather sleep in a tent in the parking lot than to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mzsazsa2
Smoot, WV
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed at Lake Anna Lodge July 12, 2013 - July 14, 2013. The staff greeted us with a friendly smile and a pleasant attitude. The motel rate per night is very reasonable.

The motel is located, as advertised, near 3 marinas, Chelsa Jo's restaurant is attached to the Lake Anna Lodge, and just a couple of miles from Lake Anna. The room was clean and cleaned each morning; stocked with enough clean towels, wash clothes, hand towels, toilet paper, and bath soap for two people for each days visit. The room was very clean had two double bed that were comfortable, with clean linen, pillow cases, microwave, refrigerator, tv, A/C, telephone, chair, open closet space, and a dresser with plenty of drawer space for two people's clothes.

We planned our next visit to Lake Anna that will include lodging at Lake Anna Lodge; unless we buy a home near Lake Anna, VA.

Room Tip: Get off the beaten path and enjoy your stay at the Lake Anna Lodge with its older but valuable locat...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Glen P
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Dirty rooms, threadbare towels, filthy bedspread, they demand payment, not a preauth, up front for total stay, refuse refund if your stay cut short. Thieves, liars and cheats. Rather sleep in dumpster!!! Surprisingly, the charred talapia was excellent in the restaurant!

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Remaxagent1962
farfar-n-away
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This is a small motel near convenient to the Lake Anna State Park and local vineyards. Rooms are decent sized and come as 2 queens or 1 king. In addition, the room had a microwave and refrigerator. They were both unplugged and I did not try them to see if they worked. The refrigerator had door open with a towel on the bottom shelf and and the floor. Don't know if the previous occupant left something gross in there or if the fridge was leaking.

There is also a heating/air conditioning unit. It was a pleasantly mild (60's/50's at night) so the unit was not used. However, I'm not sure if I could use it. The knob to adjust it on and adjust it from warm to cold was broken off.

The beds are comfortable and the room clean. There was plenty of hot water though on the second floor, the water pressure was not great. You do also have to hold down the toilet handle until you hear the bowl completely empty. OTW the toilet will not be flushed.

The walls are very thin. I could hear the person next door on his phone conversation. I don't know if he was upset and speaking louder than usual or if that was his normal speaking voice. But I could hear quite a few of his words. Bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

The motel has a restaurant/bar on the premises which serve decent food. The motel also allows dogs for a small extra fee.

Overall a good value. The motel is inexpensive and convenient. Owners are on premises and easily accessible by phone and come quickly to the office when called.

Room Tip: Better water pressure on the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spotsylvania
Best Western Plus Thornburg Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Crossroads Inn & Suites
Stevenson Ridge
Stevenson Ridge
#1 of 3 in Spotsylvania

Been to Lake Anna Lodge? Share your experiences!