“Great Property and very accomodating”

Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Great Property and very accomodating”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This property is clean, well maintanined and the staff are exceptional. I used them for a family reunion with overnigh roooms and using the banquet room. Laura and the entire staff went above and beyond to make sure our guests were comfortable and that we had access to everything we needed for our dinners and gatherings. They even made personaized centerpieces for our dinners on Friday and Saturday evening. They made sure everything was in place to accommodate our group and to help meI pull everything off without a hitch. Our guests stated to me on numerous occasions how impressed they were with the property and the overall service. In addition the rate was more than affordable which allowed for a very nice studio suite.
I will certainly keep the Marriott Residence Inn in Springfield in mind for other events, personal or corporate.

Room Tip: Even number rooms face the courtyard. The other rooms face the highway which can be noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Harrisonburg, VA
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel this past weekend and were delighted that they had a 2BR suite available when we made reservations. I love to stay at Residence Inn locations whenever traveling with my youngest son especially and this time we had my three year old niece along as well. We arrived in town a little early and fortunately, our room was ready when we got there. We checked in at about 1 p.m. and found the room to be very clean and nice. (It's probably about time to update some of the furnishings but clean always ranks high with me!) After heading out for lunch and to run a few quick errands, we returned to get ready for a concert we were attending at Hylton Memorial Chapel. There was a knock at the door from the guests across the hall. They wanted to be "respectful" and let us know that they were having friends and family in from W. VA and ask that if they got too loud during the night if we would just knock and let them know. Red flag! The hotel has a strict policy about parties and smoking and guests sign a statement acknowledging this at check-in. My family said to just let it ride and see how things went when we got back. We did not return to the hotel until about 11:30 but the party across the hall had obviously just gotten started. Wanting to avoid a confrontation and not knowing just how many people were in the room across the hall, I called the front desk (this is when I realized that instead of three phones--one in each area of the suite, there was only one in the bedroom with the king bed) and was assured that it would be addressed. At no point did we ever hear anyone from the hotel come to the room or follow up with us to be sure things had settled down. My daughter who slept on the sofa bed in the main room caught the worst part of this and shared the next morning that she really didn't sleep because the noise never stopped. Did I mention there was stomping and running in and out of the room? When we checked out early Sunday morning to continue with our plans in the area, I advised two employees at the desk of our experience. I was offered 5,000 reward points for my trouble and questioned about why we did not call back after that. Really?? Driving home that afternoon and discussing with my family how they had also been disturbed by all of this during the night, I opted to follow up directly with the general manager when I returned home. A day has passed and there has still been no response to my message.

Had it not been for the statement signed at check-in, I may have chalked this up to a bad experience and opted to not stay at this hotel again. But, I just keep seeing that statement in my mind and wondering why this was tolerated for a particular group of guests. I am sure if our children had been too loud, we would have been called out on it. In some of the reviews I read about this location, people complained of street noise. We were on the third floor and could see the top of the hotel parking deck from our room. I wish we could have heard the street and traffic noise. It would have been anticipated at least instead of the random outbursts we heard through the night.

The hotel was really nice, the staff was even nice--maybe too nice, breakfast was good, the pool had a lifeguard on duty and our room was spacious and clean, but if neighbors knock and tell you they are going to have a party--believe them and ask for another room immediately.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Meg A, General Manager at Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear VATraveling Mommy,

I am so sorry to hear about this experience! I can only imagine how frustrating this entire experience and your stay has been for you and your family! I am sincerely sorry for this situation! I can assure you that this is not something that normally occurs at our hotel! Also, I disappointed that you reached out for me. I can promise you I have received no such message! I am not sure where the communication occurred.
Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts. I will be sure to share your experience with the entire team on handling these situations in a more proactive manner.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent one night here as a stopover on our way back to New Jersey from North Carolina. We arrived half an hour before midnight. Check-in was fast. We were given a room on the third floor facing the street. It is nicely decorated like a studio apartment and less like a hotel room, and is clean. The kitchen is well stocked and there is a good-sized refrigerator and a microwave oven although we did not have a need for them. The television is on a swivel whereby it can be facing the sofa or the bed. The sink is separate from the bathroom which is nice. When I'm about to sleep that's when I noticed the noise from the street traffic. I haven't had this problem in any of the other hotels I've stayed in even when the room is facing the street. This was when I remembered that I had requested for a room on the high floor and away from the street when I booked (based on the recommendations of the other reviewers). It took me longer to fall asleep and when I did, those street noises did not wake me up. However, for those who are light sleepers this may be an issue. The breakfast was very good with a number of hot items available and there were three staff taking care of it. I would have given this hotel a perfect rating had it not been for the street noise.

Room Tip: Make sure to request for a room on the high floor and away from the street. If you're checking...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pramedor
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night after attending a ceremony at Quantico so we could take our daughters to DC. This hotel has a free shuttle to the nearby Metro station and we utilized it yesterday to go to DC. We were given an upgrade to a two bedroom suite which was a very nice surprise. Our daughters enjoyed the pool but we thought the hit tub looked a little green so we didn't use it. Staff is very friendly. Our room was clean and updated, although the recliner in our room was a little worn on the arms. No big deal though and we really liked this hotel and staff. Love Marriott!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Dee409
Meg A, General Manager at Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hi Dee409,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent trip with your family! I am happy to hear about you enjoying the room and the shuttle to the metro! This is a great way to avoid traffic and get around the area! We hope you will stop chose to stay with us again when in the area!

Thanks again!
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My family and I stayed here for three days as a quick getaway over Easter Weekend. I have twin toddlers and one has food allergies, so our choices are usually pricey and limited. I booked this hotel because I wanted convenience into DC, a separate room for our toddlers to sleep, and a kitchen where I could cook a few things so I didn't worry about my allergy-riddled baby.

This hotel was wonderful in so many ways! Upon check-in, a staff member said the magic words that every hotel CSR should say: "I saw you were traveling with young kids, so I put you in a quiet area of the hotel." I was ready to give a four-star reccomendation on that alone. But really, EVERY member of the staff we encountered was friendly - even the lifeguard at the pool. The room we had was at the end of a hallway, so everything was quiet.

The breakfast was perfect; there were lots of hot and cold options and the staff was attentive to keeping everything stocked. The pool was perfect for a quick dip with the boys - they loved it. Houskeeping did a great job as well.

This is by far the BEST option in Springfield. I will, without a doubt, be back again soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JustStace
Hi JustStace,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your experience! I am SO happy to hear we could exceed your expectations from the moment of check-in! I can only imagine how stressful it would be traveling with toddlers with food allergies and I am thrilled to know we could give you the peace of mind to know you could take care of your family while away from home!

I will be sure to share your experience with the team as we LOVE to hear great stories like this!

Thanks so much!
Leland, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here twice while visiting family in Springfield. The location is perfect for us - only 5 minutes to the kids' house. We actually pulled the bedclothes up to see what kind of mattress was on the bed because we slept so well here. The hotel is very clean & neat. The breakfast is your standard free hotel breakfast - scrambled eggs w/some sort of meat, yogurt, bagels, muffins, cold cereals, etc. But the surprise was, the hot food was hot & the cold food was cold. The only reason I can't give it an excellent rating is because of the noisy location on a very busy road in Springfield near the "spaghetti bowl" configuration of highways in the I-95 corridor. We will be staying here again, BUT we will ask for a room not on the Old Keene Mill Rd side - it looks right down onto that road & in view of several on/off ramps. If there is a quieter side to this hotel, we'll find it because we plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face Old Keene Mill Road.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AuntyTay
Virginia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here to visit an event at the DC Convention Center. Since we live about an hour from DC and have worked in the city is was perfect for us because we were familiar with DC and could drive in by car. If you need to rely on Metro, you'll still need to drive to catch it. We were pleased with the room, breakfast, and cleanliness. When my husband checked in he wasn't happy about the staff in that they essentially ignored him for a few minutes but my check out experience was very positive. I was greeted before I reached the desk and they were very pleasant. The breakfast was one of the better we've seen. It was the little things like salsa and chives for the eggs, yogurt parfaits and pancakes and oatmeal pre-made. Not instant oatmeal. Also the way the staff opened another room for a large group to use so they wouldn't overrun the area for the rest of us. We had a partial kitchen fully stocked. Very close to nice dining.

Room Tip: We had a suite on the top floor. Very quiet except for some road traffic.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family