“Great Stay - Above Average Residence Inn”

Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Great stay at the RI in Springfield, VA. Stayed here for a business trip to NGA. It was a little getting from parking garage to the lobby (a label on the garage elevator stating that the lobby was on the 1st floor would help, seems obvious but when you get out of the elevator, I wasn't sure if I was on the correct floor to get to the lobby for check-in). Other that a little confusion when first arriving, the hotel was in great shape. Breakfast and dinner was great. Breakfast seemed to have more variety than the RI standard choices. Having dinner at the hotel was nice (no need to fight traffic); several RI have changed to limited nights/snacks. This hotel offered a full dinner Mon-Thurs. Room was impeccable and hotel staff friendly with a smile and "hello" when passing them. Gym was well utilized and more than adequate to get in a workout. Didn't use the pool but it looked to be in great shape. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
caresse w, Manager at Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and were able to utiltize many of our amenities. We are glad that you had the oppourtunity to enjoy both our hot breakfast buffet and our dinner at Evening Social. We take pride in the wonderful service and quality our Gatehouse attendants provide in preparing and serving these meals. We are happy to hear that our associates provided a warm greeting during your interactions with them throughout the hotel. We look forward to your next stay at our hotel, hopefully you will have time to take a dip in the pool!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We were very pleased about all aspects of this hotel. The rooms were spotless, the staff was friendly and responsive, and they allow pets (which is a huge plus). The breakfast and dinner served in the lobby was top-notch. They even had a shuttle to the metro station. Yes, it is on a busy road, but it didn't really bother us. We were in a spacious two-room suite on the 6th floor - I would recommend a higher floor, as it might be the reason the traffic noise wasn't a problem. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area and need a little more space and a kitchen set-up.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed at this Residence Inn while we visited the museums at the Smithsonian in DC. We knew of the drive and know where to park once we arrive in DC and we didn't want to stay right in the heart of "everything DC". There were four of us - my husband, myself, our son and daughter. We reserved a two room suite - one child had the bedroom (with it's own bath) the other on the pull out couch. My husband and I had the second bedroom with it's own bath. It was a tight squeeze in the living area when my son pulled out the sofa bed (no room between the bed and the dresser) but we all did have a tv in each of our rooms and it really wasn't an issue at the end of the day when we all just wanted to "veg out".

We stayed at a Residence Inn in PA recently and liked the idea of the FULL kitchen, plates, glasses, dishwasher, stove, microwave, silverware - the appliances in this room were very nice - stainless steel. It was great to bring dinner back to the room and be able to eat the kitchen table after a long day of sight seeing.

The hotel offers a weekly, nightly special "social hour" and they have a varying menu depending on the night. We were there on a Monday night and the offering was "Southwest salad night". We did decide to check it out (with some reservations as to what my son would have eaten...). We went into the main lobby and it was a VERY nice buffet of chicken, peppers, salsa, guacamole, burrito shells, sodas, water, complimentary beer and wine and al of the fixings required! Cookies, brownies, desserts were also included. It was like going out to dinner in your own hotel...ALL complimentary - very nice job.

My only complaint would be actually getting INTO and OUT of the hotel - signs are a bit misleading and although our room was the last one in our particular hallway (we thought GREAT! no one running past our room at 2 a.m. or 6 a.m.). Because we were at the end of the hall, we overlooked: a 10 lane highway (5 lanes on either side) in addition to a causeway that was higher than the highway, closer to our room (hubby took a walk and did state: yep - you can see into our room from that causeway...) ran perpendicular to THOSE roads - another 6 lanes (3 in each DIRECTION) - our room was at that juncture. And these roads were BUSY - and I do mean BUSY.....literally all night long!!

Another issue I put on the comment card was there were no recycle bins for paper or cans/bottles in our room or on the grounds anywhere. This (like many others) is a hotel that states to try and save resources by not changing sheets every night and reusing towels to save water, energy etc.

Our gal Maria who cleaned our room did a great job with our rooms as well as the pull out couch for my son. The rooms and baths were always clean and looking great. I would stay again but would make sure I was not in that same room situation - would ask for a quieter room knowing the number of the room we were on last time - maybe on the opposite side of the hotel.

Room Tip: try to stay away from the rooms that overlook the highway (look for the "MV late night Video st...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Meg A, General Manager at Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Marilyn R,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience with the hotel! I am pleased to hear you and your family were able to use many of the amenities our hotel provides! I appreciate your feedback in regards to the pull out sofa. We will take a look and see what items can be moved around. Also we do have recycling containers in each room. I apologize if that item was not in your room! We do take conservation seriously in the hotel so I will make sure to bring your observations to the team!

We hope to see you again if you are in the area!

Have a great day!

Meg

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a GREAT quick stop hotel conveniently located off of route 95. We arrived to a welcome that included a complimentary Asian dinner. Awesome buffet which included a wide variety of food and DRINKS included. The room was amazing. Two bedroom suite with living area and kitchenette. CLEAN!
In addition, breakfast was also included which was another amazing buffet.
We will definitely choose this hotel again on our travels down south!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
caresse w, Manager at Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hello,

We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! Asian Night is one of our more popular Evening Social nights, and we are glad that your family was able to experience and enjoy it along with our complimentary breakfast buffet. The two bedroom suites are extremely popular with our guest reservations, and we're glad that the suite met your travel needs. We look forward to your next stay at the Springfield Old Keene Mill Residence Inn, and we thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived at this hotel and were very pleased with the circular drive entrance and adjoining free parking garage. The hotel lobby was very expansive and "new Looking". We had asked for a quiet room and got our keys and proceeded to our floor and a VERY long walk to our room. While I appreciate Residence Inn's efforts to provide a "suite" for everyone, it was a tight fit. When we opened up the convertible couch for our child, it made for a difficult walk thru. Top it off, the maid didn't even bother to make up the couch bed, just left it as we did, semi-open. Also, the dishwasher had not been turned on either.
Being a small suite, it was very difficult to regulate the thermostat. The first night we sweated thinking we had set the temperature at a comfortable number. The second night was even worse as the air blew on our bed! I really don't know why more hotels don't just put in ceiling fans so circulate the air comfortably and quietly!
The breakfast was minimal at best....and a very short window to get anything.
When I had called to ask how close the Metro stop was I was told it would be about a 10 minute walk.....NOT! I know they had a shuttle available, but not good to rely on that. The bonus was that parking at the Metro was free on Saturday!

Room Tip: Ask how far away the room is from the elevator if you have trouble walking
1  Thank MiMi143
Meg A, General Manager at Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear MiMi143,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Your feedback is very valuable and very much appreciated!

I do apologize for the problems with the metro infortmation and for the room not meeting your expectations. I can definitely understand your frustration! I can assure you that I have addressed the issues with our team to insure that they are not repeated in the future.

Again, Thank you for choosing our hotel for your travel needs and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to be your host again in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We hosted our Family reunion here over the weekend of 7/10-7/14. The hotel staff was exceptional in making sure our family was well served and comfortable. Laura was kind, patient and helpful and went above and beyond throughout the planning process. The hotel was full so noise was to be expected but it certainly was not any more than average. The rooms were clean and well appointed. We had guests that arrived early and the staff let those that were there get checked in as early as 9 am when possible. We used the meeting room and the staff even went so far as to make small personalized centerpieces for the tables. The rate was more than reasonable for the accomodations and I appreciated everything that was done to ensure out stay and reunion guests were comfortable and happy throughtout. I will recommend them to anyone that may be looking for a block of rooms and for my future corporate and personal events.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the courtyard. Others face the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Meg A, General Manager at Residence Inn Springfield Old Keene Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear MrsA7432,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am so excited that you enjoyed your weekend at the hotel! Laura was thrilled to be able to take care of your family reunion with little extra touches! We hope that the 80th birthday surprise went well!

Thank you for choosing our location for such a special weekend!

Meg

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This property is clean, well maintanined and the staff are exceptional. I used them for a family reunion with overnigh roooms and using the banquet room. Laura and the entire staff went above and beyond to make sure our guests were comfortable and that we had access to everything we needed for our dinners and gatherings. They even made personaized centerpieces for our dinners on Friday and Saturday evening. They made sure everything was in place to accommodate our group and to help meI pull everything off without a hitch. Our guests stated to me on numerous occasions how impressed they were with the property and the overall service. In addition the rate was more than affordable which allowed for a very nice studio suite.
I will certainly keep the Marriott Residence Inn in Springfield in mind for other events, personal or corporate.

Room Tip: Even number rooms face the courtyard. The other rooms face the highway which can be noisy.