“WELL MANAGED AND GOOD VALUE”

Best Western Springfield
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I must qualify "good value" by saying I was in Springfield for a convention, and could have gotten a convention rate of $124 at the Hilton. I made my reservation on the BW website for a $90 dollar senior rate, but when checking in, was told my rate would be $124. Imagine my surprise! However, the nice young fellow on the desk changed it to $90 and I got what I wanted: a quiet, clean, comfortable room. This is an older property originally built as a Days Inn, but was a much nicer building than usual: brick exterior, restaurant (now used just for breakfast), nice sized rooms, etc.) Also has a very nice outdoor pool.
What lends itself to good management, in addition to the front desk experience, are what I observed; a courtesy shuttle, clean rooms and grounds, nice landscaping and an interesting thing: lots of construction skilled tradesmen stay there, which is a real plus: they are quiet, go to bed early and are generally pretty pleasant. (The also rent rooms in blocks!) And smart management has provided a picnic table and grill behind the hotel and under a part of the "Springfield Mixing Bowl" - a gargantian interchange). Tradesmen working out of town can't afford to eat out. Neither do they want to "dress for dinner." Rather, they enjoy a place to cook some dinner, visit and drink a few beers. Really smart hotel owners who can build up this kind of clientele would do well to provide a nice picnic area. (And by the way, construction guests don't steal or tear up rooms, either.)
I found this hotel's staff to be consistently friendly and helpful, the property well maintained and in every respect, what I wanted. I will continue to stay there as long as my needs arise.

Room Tip: Be sure to try for a discounted rate, but if not, at least it will be a lot less than other lodging...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank filmbuyer2016
There are newer reviews for Best Western Springfield

Reviewed 11 May 2014

After reading other reviews, we chose an executive room that is on the upper floors of the hotel. It was very quiet and we weren't bothered by traffic noise from the numerous roads nearby. The room size was not extremely big but adequate. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean with one of the best shower heads we've ever encountered in a hotel room. We did find the WIFi was quite slow when accessed from our room. The one outstanding feature of this hotel is the free shuttle service to anywhere within 3 miles of the hotel. They even offered a list of restaurants in the area and the distance from the hotel. We took advantage of the shuttle several times during our stay for restaurants and the local Metro station. By Metro train we were able to be at the National Mall area in 40 minutes. It eliminated the extreme hassle of driving to and parking in Washington DC. We found the hotel staff to be friendly and very competent. A word to those of you who must be gluten free, there is very little that is safe to eat at the hot breakfast offered. Overall we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was perfect for a single- night stay with the family. There is an extensive hot breakfast included (eggs, waffles, pastries, etc). Rooms are average. Very convenient to both the highway and the DC metro.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Upon check in, no TV, no refrig.as promised on making reservation [refrig needed for my Rx drugs. Had to switch room to get a good TV. A/C was very loud. Room was marked non-smoking but it had a smoking smell..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
HIJung820, General Manager at Best Western Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

The fact that we were not able to meet your expectations is a major disappointment to me. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience during your most recent stay. I regret the inconvenience and frustration that your non working TV and lack of fridge has caused you and am sorry that we asked you to move to a different room. I assure you that your experience is not the standard to which we aspire, nor which our guests have a right to expect.

Microwave and refrigerators are only guaranteed on our executive levels. All other rooms are based on availability. We do try our best to accommodate requests and am sorry we failed to do so.

If you are ever back in the area, please give us one more chance to make it right. I will personally make certain that we provide you with a room with a working TV as well as a fridge.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We recently spent five nights at the Best Western in Springfield. It met all our needs for a great trip to Washington DC. We booked through Expedia and got a very good rate. The room was very clean and maintained. We got a surprise upgrade to an executive suite that included a fridge and microwave. The hot breakfast buffet was great with lots of choices and a clean dining area. The hotel staff was very friendly and they offered a shuttle service to and from the nearby metro station. It is a great service especially for those, like me, not used to driving in such busy traffic! The hotel does sit in a very busy intersection with an off ramp right behind it. Our room was on the ramp side but we didn' have any traffic noise and sleep peacefully. We would certainly recommend this hotel and hope to have a return trip ourselves in late summer.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DJWSummersville_WV
HIJung820, General Manager at Best Western Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we appreciate your kind words. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and hope that you will visit again soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel for a quick business trip in the DC area. Room was neat, clean, very comfortable bed. Competitively priced with other hotels in the direct area. Excellent breakfast offering. I would recommend this hotel for other business or personal travelers.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
HIJung820, General Manager at Best Western Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Eric,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please visit us again soon!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My buddy and I were going to be in DC for a week. Due to various reasons we pretty much had to wait until a week before we made reservation. And it turned out that our timeframe coincided with the Cherry Blossom Festival and parade and etc. Mind you neither of us have ever stayed in a Best Western. Anyway prices for all DC area hotels were going through the roof! Upon my hours of research, I read many reviews and "settled" on this one, somewhat with dread in our hearts. We did just pay $89 a night for a Best Western after all.($139 for weekend of the festival and parade.) We were there Tuesday through Monday.
Boy were we WRONG!

Pros:
1. Extremely friendly staff. I dealt with staff from 6am to 2am and all of them were genuinely happy to serve! I have never stayed anywhere the staff were so eager and friendly. Are all best Western like this? Staff was amazing and prompt. Did I say friendly? Huge smiles and eager to take care of the guests. This was on top of the 4 bus load of kids that were there when we checked in and 2 more buses that pulled up for the weekend. I would have gone crazy but the staff didn't even seem fazed. I would have never guessed about 200 plus kids.
2. Room: I did take the advise of other reviewers and got the room on 4th floor in the middle(409) literally right next to the router. It had a mini-fridge and a microwave plus a hair dryer, coffee-maker etc. It had a flat screen TV but no HD channels...odd. Plenty of storage space though room was slightly small. It was clean and just fine. It did not have down-pillow or stuff like that but I did not have a single issue with the room's cleanliness or the bathroom. Yes, it is a slightly older facility and It was a bit stuffy upon entering but once A/C kicked on it was just fine.
Some complained about the A/C noise: it was your standard window-unit level noise, it wasn't noisy nor was it loud. It was perfectly okay. I usually sleep in complete silence at my house and this A/C did not bother me at all. I do think someone smoked in the room before. there was a bit of residue smell lingering but as I said, A/C fought it well. Bathroom was once again, just fine. It was as clean as it could be. Shower was a good size, toilets worked just fine. Plenty of towels and supplies that were stocked well. Water pressure was good. Some reviewers complained about hot water - I believe they might have rectified this issue - zero problems with it. It got rather hot fast actually and stayed based on times of 6am, 7am, 8am, 10am, 11:30am, 2pm, 5pm, 7pm, 10pm and midnight.
Some also complained regarding the noise from the interstate directly behind the building. My window directly faced the exit ramp. - I had zero issues. yes I could tell cars were driving by but at no time did it bother me. Makes me wonder if those reviewers were sitting in complete silence for some reason. That would be the only way one could notice it.
3. Breakfast - this will both have pro and cons. It was rather good in my opinion. Yes it was your standard affair. : eggs, potatoes, various cereal, milk, juices, bagels and other pastries. And it was hot and fresh(for hot food). I stayed for an hour each morning at various times and watched the staff constantly check it and bring re-fills and whatnot. I enjoyed it so much that it became my routine though I am not a morning person. I also went to it during various times and never once was it crowded. I just consider myself lucky on this. During the weekend I noticed they added sausage links to the menu, that was nice. (I guess higher rate for weekend nights allows this?)
4. Location - right off the interstate ramp. a few turns and you are there. It was in a area with two other 'nicer' hotels. After my experience with staff and rooms, I could not justify spending premium for "cherry blossom week"-rate. Within a couple sq. mile was a nice mall, a Super Target, Home Depot, Walmart, a bunch of shopping plazas and various of restaurants that served up various food. We had a vehicle so we drove around but I would imagine one could easily walk to some of these locations. Also Hotel had complimentary shuttle to Metro(maybe they would take you to Walmart if you'd asked them nicely?). We mainly drove to Metro station(5 min ride) but I did take the shuttle one day. Very pleasant experience in a nice minivan instead of a huge Ford Econoline mass-hauler. Another nice surprise. Driver was friendly and in great spirits. Said to call when I needed a pick up a station prior so I would not have to wait. That was a nice advise, I thought.
Metro Station is the end of the line for Blue track. It was always nice to have a seat going into DC while I watched it get packed. To get to your Smithsonian and etc, it would take about 40 min. It was not a bad ride in.

CON:
1. Wi-Fi. : this topic was actually addressed by many reviewers and I made a specific room choice for this. Other than the first night, I was not able to log onto the Wi-Fi until Saturday. Lobby area I could however. IT kept saying "Too many subscribers are logged in. Try again at another time" I thought it was a fluke but finally spoke up one night to the Front Desk a couple days later. Alex was EXTREMELY Helpful. Let me say again. Alex at the front desk was fantastic. He was training another gentleman and they all confirmed the issue by pulling all the phones out and trying to connect to the Wi-Fi. Alex actually followed me up to the room(CARRYING A HUGE LADDER) and reset the router and did his best to fix the issue. At the same time, he did tell me that they had upgraded their Wi-Fi capacity to handle many issues brought up by previous reviewers. It however did not fix the issue. I was not upset however. Hotel did have 400 middle-high schoolers, all with 3 electronic devices each. why do they all need a cell phone and a tablet on a school trip, I'd never know.
Wi-Fi issue did get resolved when 2 of the buses left for good. by then the Wi-Fi was super-fast.
I was able to watch HBO Go on my iPhone while my buddy was watching Netflix on his iPad. didn't even flinch. Not too bad for a hotel Wi-Fi.
Another compliment to Alex. I an into him one morning a few days later and he was kind enough to ask me if Wi-Fi was better, I was pleasantly surprised that he remembered. Not too bad Alex.

Overall.
Yes I would stay there again, definitely. I would even ask for the same room. Would I stay at another Best Western? I am not sure. However when I'm in DC, I will stay here. I was at the Mandarin Oriental one day. Traffic was ridiculous, it was super windy, loud(cars, honking etc.). No thanks. I don't need a fancy decorated room, just to sleep. Completely unnecessary. Loved the hospitality of staff, location(tons of ethnic food options in Springfield VA), cleanliness and value for the money. Excellent. I would actually bring my kids there should I travel to DC with them. Metro is definitely the way to get around DC.
Great job Best Western Springfield and Thank you Alex. You were great.

Room Tip: I'd go with higher floors. First floor seemed like the 'party floor' with little kids. I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheChwlee

Thank you for giving us a try as well as taking the time to write a review. I'm so happy to hear that you and your buddy were pleased with your stay. I'll certainly pass on your kind words to Alex and the rest of our team to let them know that they are appreciated. Please come visit us again soon. We're in the process of upgrading our number of device connections, so by the time you come back, we'll hopefully be able to provide you with a flawless stay.