Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Philadelphia
“Just Okay”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel only for one night. Check in was very quick. It was a typical Holiday Inn Express. Everything was clean and in order. The TV was outdated and there was not very much in the way of cable channels to watch. Used the hotel shuttle to go to Mike's American Grill (See my review) Bed was clean and comfortable. I got a second floor room. It had terrible view to HVAC units. A continental breakfast was waiting for me in the morning. It was your typical Choice Hotel/Hampton Inn breakfast options; you know with the waffles, cereal, pastries, juice and coffee. Tried to use the business center but I couldn't get internet access. Check in was really easy. The best thing of this hotel was the location to restaurants, stores and pharmacies. They were in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Philly_Dan,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Freehold, NJ
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed t this hotel on 3/31/2012. Hotel room was above average. This is not a luxury hotel but a good, solid place to stay that is very near downtown Washington DC (approximately 12 minutes straight shot on 395). Mattress was a bit firm for my taste. Everything was clean and moderately updated. Shower head/pressure was wonderful. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was your standard fare for a freebie (eggs, sausage, biscuits, otameal, pancakes, cinnamon buns, bagels, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, coffee, juice). The breakfast area was constantly being restocked. Did not experience a noise issue though I saw several large groups of young people. Restaurants are close by, though we chose to eat in DC. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I always stay at this hotel an everytime I stay there my stay gets better an better. Staff is very friendly an helps out with whatever I need. The shuttle is a plus I go eat an to shopping centers. A person who stands out is STACEY BOULWARE.....He goes above an beyond, I was ahving a bad day and was very irritated. He welcomed me with a warm big smile an complimented me on how nice I was. I really needed it at that time an it brightened my day. I needed directions to a place, by the time I got my room he called me with the direction and divning directions witha direct number to a nice car company that was willing to take me. Stacey remembered my name and had the room I like the most available. I appreciate my stay an Ill always stay here and I commend Mr. Boulware for going over an beyond, with not just me but all people staying there including having respect for his co-workers. I just appreciated him. Thanks Stacey

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Samira R
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were having a mini-family reunion. At the last minute my parents discovered that they could not stay at my sister's and had to get a room at the hotel we were staying at. Mr. Stacy Boulware took excellent care of my elderly parents (in their mid-80's). They are in the room next to us and he gave them an excellent rate.

I stay at Holiday Inn Expresses whenever I can. I do so because of employess like Stacy who understand true customer service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vince B
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I find myself wondering what the last few reviewers were smoking... the only way this place would ever see 5 stars is if it added up its 2 stars for value and 3 stars for service. In fact if you look at the reviews closely it seems quite obvious that the hotel management wrote them. I mean how many people from Springfield VA with the same initials as the manager are staying at hotels in Springfield VA? And on top of that giving every aspect of the hotel 5 stars, give me a break. So I'd suggest ignoring the 2 or 3 reviews below this one because anyone who rates this dump as 5 stars is clearly faking it.

In any case let me give my honest review:

I stayed here on business for an entire week and this place was a huge disappointment. While the lobby is nice and the staff is pretty good, there is no more to compliment here. The rooms are crap, the beds horrible, and the pillows in particular are awful. The AC/heater units are so loud that they wake you up every time they kick on. They claim the hotel has been 'recently renovated' but the furniture is beat up and stained and the doors, walls, and bathroom fixtures look decades old. The ceiling, which was water stained, is a popcorn ceiling... hello 1980's???. There is no closet, but rather a type of metal coat rack that was ripping out of the wall in my room. The phone in my room would randomly hang up in the middle of phone calls, so I stopped using it at all.

The free breakfast was okay, but I have had much better at other Holiday Inn Expresses. But even getting to the food was a challenge since each morning seemed to bring another busload of high school students on a class trip that dominated the entire breakfast area.

Someone below compared this place to a Motel 6, and I'd say that is a fair assessment. Except that Motel 6's are usually a little less beat up and about a third the cost.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank frank3355
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
frank3355,

Ben J
IHG Care
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This hotel compares to 5 star hotels I have been to in customer service, cleanliness, and overall atmosphere. All the staff is great, but one sticks out in particular - Stacey Boulware. He is always in a great mood and uplifting even if you're not having a good day. I in fact sat down the manager of the hotel and complinted her on her whole staff. Another great thing is the hotel has a free shuttle that will take you around to local places and pick you up from the Metro free. Ths hotel gets an A++ from me, and I was there for several weeks.

Room Tip: For just a little bit more get a fridge and microwave in your room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank James C
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many nights over the several past years. I have also stayed at other hotel in this area as well and I have settled on this one as the best overall. It is an older building but has recently been beautifully renovated. The staff is generally friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I would, however, single out staff members Stacey Boulware and Vera Ellen. Their genuine friendliness, helpfulness and knowledge of the area are the attributes that have made me a regular at this hotel (and I'm sure many others). I have seen the same rapport I have with them displayed with many of the other guests. I see them greeting many guests by name and the guests returning the greeting and acknowledging Stacey and Vera by name. They work really hard to make the guest feel at home!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business