All reviews chef's tasting chef alan come hungry next morning jefferson room bottle of champagne shenandoah national park virginia wineries sitting area wonderful weekend the entire staff beds were comfortable waffles pairing tyler cottage fireplace
Reviewed 19 August 2018

Decided to give this B&B a try on our way back to FL from NY. Our host, Alan could not have been more welcoming and gracious. We learned (after enjoying a magnificent dinner and great wines) that the restaurant is normally closed on the day we stayed, but he opened it just for us. Now that's hospitality! And, I'm so glad he did. I'm a meat and potatoes with a beer kind of guy so when I saw cous-cous was the side with my stuffed pork chop (amazing!!!) I was a little unsure. Let me tell you...I'm a cous-cous fan now! At least when it's prepared by Chef Alan!. I don't know what he did to it, but I WANT MORE! We are hoping to revisit again on one of our trips and I'd recommend that if you are taking the Toll-Free Rt 81 corridor from the north east to FL you miight want to consider taking a detour to this grand old Inn. Tell Alan, JC sent you and let him pick your wine!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Lafayette1840, Owner at Lafayette Inn and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Wonderful having you visit. We hope you make the east coast "tour" again and return! - Alan & Kaye

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

We celebrated my Dad’s 93rd birthday here having been referred by a friend. Small dining room that was well lit. My dad complained of the chair being uncomfortable after awhile but the rest of us didn’t mind. We were too busy enjoying all of our food. The service was perfect with good recommendations for food and wine. We had the Yoder’s beet salad, grilled romaine lettuce salad and fried oysters for appetizers. Everything was beautiful and yummy. All of our dinner entrees were well prepared and fabulous. We had scallop risotto, lamb and grits, short ribs and steak and crab cakes. The freshest ingredients were used. The only thing we were not thrilled with was the special peach cobbler for dessert. But maybe we were just too full to appreciate it by then.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you Judy for selecting the Lafayette. We look forward to seeing you for the 94th...if not before! - Alan & Kaye

Reviewed 27 July 2018

We made reservations for the Lafayette Inn online not knowing how it would turn out. The choice was good, location quiet, lodging rooms were are spacious and well appointed. We took advantage of the breakfast which was very very good. I would recommend this lodging to family and friends. We ordered wine and cheese for arrival and the cheese selection was sumptious and the wine, Barboursville of course, was excellent.

Room Tip: Many rooms to choose from - all were special
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Lafayette1840, Owner at Lafayette Inn and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Thanks so much! Come back and see us. - Alan & Kaye

Reviewed 25 July 2018

Inn offered a special for the chefs tasting at $145 for two including a room for the night. However when making a reservation we were told that the offering was intended to be $145 per person which would have brought the total to around $375 for two people. To be honest the meal would probably been good based on reviews but the rooms not so good and that is quite expensive to say the least.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Lafayette1840, Owner at Lafayette Inn and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Jim & Joan,
We again apologize for our type-o in the e-Flyer. We tried to rectify as quick as possible. Matter of fact, your email came at 12:41 to let me know of the error. I replied at 12:42 and we had the e-flyer corrected at 12:45. I had to go to the Inn (working from home office prior) and canceled your reservation at 1:15. My point being, we take such things seriously.

We are pleased that over 4,000 have enjoyed our Chef Tasting over the years.

Perhaps another time/another offer more aligned with your goals as well.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention so we could fix/clarify promptly.

Reviewed 30 June 2018

This is one of those unique Inns and Restaurants that is worth the trip. In a small town near Charlottesville, Va, this is a class act worth the stay and meal. Excellent service and an historic building that has the feel of the deep south. The owner is the chef and his specialities are superb! Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Lafayette1840, Owner at Lafayette Inn and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2018

Thank you! We look forward to seeing you again when your travels merit! - Alan & Kaye