“3 Bears Cabin”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanardsville
Lydia Mountain Cabins
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Mountain Paradise cabin December, 2012. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to try a larger cabin & bring our teenage son, dog, and a few friends. We chose the 3 Bears cabin for the # of bedrooms & full-sized pool table.

The cabin was really cute & we had a nice time. The staff provided us with more than enough firewood for the fireplace (which we used and enjoyed each of the three days we were there). The pool table was wonderful - as was the hot tub & views from the deck.

A few things to note...

#1 - There were some stinkbugs. When we arrived, we found a window that was opened a little bit & thought that may be how some were getting into the cabin. We closed the window & hadn't seen too many more afterwards. When I called management to inform them, I was told they are common in the vicinity & management does have pest services for the cabins. If we wanted, they would have come then. The group of us decided to let it be - after all, we were in the woods.

#2 - The mattresses were not comfortable (nothing like Mountain Paradise!). We thought if they had invested in some half-way decent mattress pad toppers for each of the beds, that would have helped some. The linens were clean (Though the cheap mattress pads on each of the beds looked at though they should have been put through the wash) and there were ample pillows & blankets.

#3 - While towels and washcloths were provided, there were just enough for each of us for bathing - but had to use the same for the hot tub. I wish I had known prior to staying, I would have requested all of us take along extra towels for use after using the hot tub. When we stayed in the Mountain Paradise cabin, we were given many more towels than in the 3 Bears cabin - and that cabin was a one bedroom. When I inquired on that, I was told cabins with washers and dryers (as the 3 Bears has) have fewer towels. While I understand their thought on that, I didn't plan to wash the towels at night after using the spa to have them ready for showering the next morning. If you plan to stay in this cabin, take extra towels. Oh...and the cabin provided two robes. We assumed each bedroom would have had two robes offered for the spa.

#4 - The pans were in really, really, really bad shape. We could not believe housekeeping, or whomever goes through the cabins, would have allowed the only pans that were given to us to use were there. Only two were offered and both scratched so badly. We were afraid to get black debris in our food...and one of them had a handle that was barely attached! When I called management, I was told they do the best they can to supply the cabins due to those items are supplied via going to yard sales. My opinion is this - when people rent a beach house, camper, condo, or cabin, they expect to have certain items in usable condition - such as pots and pans. Therefore, places such as these should budget to replace these items when necessary. I will give management credit for showing up at our cabin with two cast iron pans and two other misc pans (used, but in much better condition than the only other two that were offered to us).

#5 - All of the chairs around the kitchen table are VERY wobbly. Every time any of us sat down, we wondered if we'd land on the floor!

To sum it up...we had a wonderful time. The cabin was very cute and the views were spectacular. Management was easy to get ahold of and was very, very nice. The pool table and hot tub were absolutely wonderful to have - in addition to the fireplace, due to it being pretty cold and windy when we visited. For those of you planning a stay here just note...it is the woods, there will be bugs of some sort. Take extra towels. Remember laundry detergent (oh, dryer sheets as well, as everything we took out of the dryer was very staticky!) Remember things like foil and ziplock bags. You will be provided with a small bar of soap and small bottle of shampoo, should you forget yours. The cabin does have dishes, coffee mugs, glasses, wine glasses, utensils, and baking sheets.

I hope this helps you in choosing a cabin getaway. We WILL be staying at Lydia again. When comparing Mountain Paradise and 3 Bears, we've determined Mountain Paradise was comparable to staying at someone's home - very neat, tidy, well appointed, etc - while staying at 3 Bears was more of a typical rental - some things are easily overlooked.

ENJOY! :)

Room Tip: All of the bedrooms have beautiful mountain views. Two bedrooms with full-sized beds and a shared ba...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank luv2bamom3

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Let me start by saying that I will absolutely come back and absolutely recommend Lydia Mountain. But there was one thing that kept me from giving this 5 stars. All of the cabins have firewood and we noticed that ours did not have near the amount of firewood as others. We called to see if there was any chance we could get more because I felt like we would run out before the weekend was completed. I was told the firewood guy delivers twice a week and he does not have a phone to be contacted. Sorry, but the right answer should have been - let's see what we can do and we will figure out a way to get some to you....
Had to get that off my chest.
We rented a one bedroom, one of the newer ones and fell in love with this cabin and the experience. My wife and two young daughters had a wonderful weekend that resulted in some good family bonding! We played board games and even went to a couple of Vineyards. Highly recommend Early Mountain Vineyard - very family friendly. We plan on making this an annual event and cannot way to go back. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
The cabin and hot tub was clean and loved the kitchen as we cooked in both nights!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JYDAWGS
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This was my first time at Lydia and I will definitely be back. The cabin was beautiful and spotless and the wood burning fireplace and hot tub were great additions. The full kitchen was great as it allowed us to cook most meals in the cabin so we could further enjoy the privacy and seclusion. They provided everything, including a very large amount of firewood. We had a fire going the whole weekend and didn't get close to running out of wood. This is a great place for a romantic getaway, and to recharge and relax. I would highly recommend Lydia Mountain cabins.

Room Tip: Mountain View Hideaway is one of the newest cabins, and the hot tub has an unobstructed view of the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina4977
Reviewed 16 January 2013

There is no place we'd rather be than a cabin in the mountains. Went to Lydia last weekend to hibernate and celebrate my birthday. Stayed 3 nights. We are first time visitor's and will definitely be back. We were blessed with beautiful weather. Sunny and 70. How unusual for January! We enjoyed sitting on the deck/in the hot tub star gazing at night or in the warm sun during the day. We did some hiking/exploring around. We stayed in Granny B's. Perfect for the two of us. We found everything to be clean and perfect. We arrived a bit early as the trip was shorter than expected, but they were very accomodating and didn't mind us checking in early. There was plenty of firewood available. Just rounded up some kindling and enjoyed a nice fire. Recommendations I would have for this cabin are most definately a screen door on the back door. And a screen on the bedroom window. With the weather we had it would have been so nice to have those open to capture that nice mountain air at night. And if possible to do anything about the "stinkbug" population. I read previous reviews that talked about them. They began showing up a couple hours after we arrived. We continually found them throughout the weekend - would just scoop them up and put them outside. Not a big deal, but quite annoying. Not afraid of bugs but just didn't want one joining me in bed or crawling on me. We must have thrown out a few dozen of them throughout the weekend. Overall, a wonderful stay. I would highly recommend. Not sure why some photos are sideways.

Room Tip: One of the beds in this cabin is very high and may be difficult for some to get in to.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kacunningham
Reviewed 29 December 2012

My husband and I stayed December 22nd through 24th 2012. I was a little apprehensive when driving the 2 miles to our cabin (one lane dirt road up the mountain); however, once we arrived I felt right at home.

The cabin is nicely secluded. It's also perfectly decorated, well - stocked with all amenities needed (except for food, of course), and spotless.

A nice treat was having a more than ample amount of firewood for the wood - burning fireplace. Another nice treat was having the hot tub on the deck just outside the main quarters. I mention that because I have stayed in a place that offered a hot tub; however, we had to walk a ways to get to it in the dark...and it wasn't fenced off (which, I could not help but worry should there be wild animals nearby).

The king-sized bed was very comfortable, it was nice having two full bathrooms, and having the pool table in the game room was fun! I will note, though, the spiral staircase to get to the game room was rather tight and awkward. Also felt a bit slick with socks on. An FYI...go barefoot - it definitely helps!

This cabin comes highly recommended. We'll definitely plan a return trip!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luv2bamom3
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We traveled there as a couple and will definitely return. The cabins are clean and completely furnished from everything from kitchen utensils to bathrobes for the hotel tub. I would recommend bringing your own bath products, tinfoil and non stick spray for the pans in the kitchen, flashlight, ipod speaker, candles, some additional newspapers for starting a fire but everything else is perfect!
The hot tub on the back deck just makes the trip. The setting is very private and at night you feel like you are along in the woods.
The cabins are hard to find in the dark, so if you are planning to arrive late, ask for exact directions to your cabin.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Although I enjoyed the serenity and pristine beauty of the mountains and "The Cottage at Nature’s Edge" was gorgeous, rustic and quaint, for the price of the accommodations, I was disappointed in the level of cleanliness and also that amenities were not as shown on the website. We stayed at the cabin the 3rd weekend in September 2012.

Cons (things you REALLY need to know):

Upon arrival, I had to sweep the entire back porch because it was a complete mess! There were spiders and webs everywhere, acorns, twigs and tree branches everywhere. I had to sweep every chair before we could sit in any of them because they were infested with spiders.

The advertised hot tub was not hot, barely tepid, set at 91 degrees (but felt barely warm), and even though we turned it up on Saturday when we arrived at 3 pm, it never became warm enough to enjoy even though we again took a dip on Monday morning before we left. TOO COLD! BRRRR! It was very disappointing to not be able to use the hot tub during our entire stay. It was one of the main reasons we booked the cabin.

We could not enjoy the advertised Foosball table in the very small "game room" because the room was infested with spiders, webs, and was filthy. There were bugs and spider droppings everywhere. After spending almost a half hour trying to clean the room so we could play Foosball I gave up. I just didn't feel as though I should be cleaning it (too much trouble) when I paid to be in a place that should have already been cleaned for our stay and enjoyment...especially as the Foosball game room was an advertised amenity pictured on the website as clean and ready to use.

We were surprised to find in the list of "Rules" left on the kitchen table (which required a signature) that we had to strip the beds of sheets and pillow cases and leave them in the bathtub before we left. We had to remove our trash put it in the car and drive several miles (out of the way and very inconvenient) to the resort dumpster or we would be charged a fee on the credit card to which they charged our reservation/stay. This wasn't explained to us during the booking process nor was it disclosed to us in the reservation email. Seriously, we had to strip the beds...we paid just over $200 per night for the cabin rental and for the money we paid, I feel this is something the cleaning crew should do...not the paying guest.

My travel partner dropped something which rolled under a bed in the bedroom and was totally grossed out by finding a men’s tube sock enveloped in a thick pile of dust under the bed. It looked as though a dust mop had not been run under the beds in each bedroom for quite some time.

In one of the bedrooms, the head of the bed lay up against the wall where the hot tub was directly on the other side. The hum of the hot tub could be heard and felt while lying in the bed. It was annoying.

During the reservation process I was told that the road to the cabin I was renting was steep and it was best if I had a front wheel drive car, but I wasn't told the road was dirt and gravel. I wasn't told the road in and out was a long dirt road. I rented a car for the trip, but had I known we were going to be driving up and down steep dirt and gravel mountain roads I would have rented a SUV.

We were unaware we weren't able to build a fire in the fireplace before Sept. 30, but they were kind enough to allow us to do so after we called and asked if they would make an exception because we were there only 7 days before the 30th. Originally, I asked if we could use the outdoor firepit and I was told we had to bring our own firewood, that they do not supply wood for burning. We used our firewood to burn in the fireplace.

Pros:

If you like being off the beaten path, staying in a gorgeous mountain setting, being completely secluded...this is the place for you! The cabin was very homey, comfortable, and with the exception of the above mentioned, the living room, dining area, kitchen and bathroom were spotless. The cabin was decorated with all sorts of interesting "country inspired" decorations which gave the cabin a very rustic feel.

The cleaning crew left us with very few paper towels left on the roll and we ran out, couldn't find any extra rolls, but we used provided kitchen towels and got by just fine. The cabin was well stocked with everything you'll need...plates, glasses (watch out for chips), cooking utensils, silverware, coffee maker, even salt and pepper.

There was a flat screen TV with DirecTV (no local channels), a comfy log style futon couch and comfy over-sized log style chair to lounge on, a front and back porch with rocking chairs and lounge chairs, the provided towels and provided robes (nice touch) were very clean and soft, the hot water was HOT (be careful!), and the cabin is situated on 5 acres in a mountain setting that is absolutely breath taking! We explored and found cute little out buildings and "relics" from days gone by which really added to the ambiance of the property.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and it was very difficult to leave. I would have given this travel experience a much higher rating, but there were just a few things we couldn't get beyond as I've expressed in the "cons" section of my review.

If you book a stay at this resort, be sure you ask lots of questions up front, especially about their very strict policies and rent a SUV if you can afford it...feel free to use this review to craft your questions. Happy trails!

Room Tip: At The Cottage at Nature’s Edge sleep on the futon in the living room or in the front bedroom unless...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank H2OSunAndFun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanardsville
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park
Bed & Breakfast at Mountain Valley Farm

Been to Lydia Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!