“Wonderful woodlands retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanardsville
Lydia Mountain Cabins
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Wonderful woodlands retreat”
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

A short distance away from the Swift Rub Gap entrance to the Shenandoah National Park, the Lydia Mountain Cabins are tucked away in the woods. Well-spaced so that each cabin offers no view (or soundtrack!) from the next, your cabin promises seclusion, peace & quiet and a close encounter with the woods around you.

We stayed in Granny B's and while afforded all the comforts we would need (aircon, a fireplace, a dishwasher, fresh towels & linen and all self-catering amenities) the cabin retained the charm, homeliness and appearance of a true cabin in the woods. Our cabin also sported an outside barbecue and hot tub (perfect relaxation!).

The cabin is ideally situated for day-trips into Shenandoah National Park (one of our main reasons for visiting) or simply for a quiet getaway. Activities are also offered (a zip-line that appears geared towards children, 'quad biking' in the woods & spa services, amongst others).

As a side note: We spotted a black bear near the bottom of the zip line slope. While a great sighting for us, it is important to remember that you really are staying in the woods!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank AllyVCT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the love nest in mid June (21st and 22nd). This was a get away for my boyfriends birthday. I had heard of Lydia Mountain Cabins from one of my friends and decided to try it for him, being we couldn't afford the beach. We arrived late on Friday after spending the afternoon exploring Monticello. When we walked in the cabin it was cool and clean and felt so peaceful. We discovered robes in the closet and decided to go try out the hot tub on the back deck. It was so private with all the trees surrounding it, couldn't hear anything, just peace and quiet. The next day I looked out the front door to see a sweet little black kitty sitting on the porch. I have a black kitty just like that and it was so wonderful seeing her, it made it feel like home, she even brought her little kitten to visit. We made breakfast and enjoyed the porch with a cup of coffee and quiet I didn't want to leave that porch. That morning as we were leaving to go explore, I look down and see 2 pennies on the ground near the steps, I bring this up because as we were leaving to check out Sunday I again saw 2 pennies in the exact same spot at the first time. This was almost like someone put them there on purpose. Very neat . We traveled around and explored the different winery's in the general vicinity. The Moss vineyards are lovely and so is the Reynard Florence winery was a delight. Both are fairly new and the one on one attention on the wine tasting is wonderful. Dinner that night was steak that we purchased in Ruckersville. The grill is right on the property and we even found coal to start it. After dinner another soak in the hot tub, so quiet and lovely. We both slept soundly both nights, and the sun shinning in the windows in the morning was a wonderful natural alarm clock.
We had to leave our little love nest by 11:00 so we packed up. Then we had car trouble, as in we had trouble getting in the car to leave! HA-HA. We will definitely stay there again and maybe try a bigger one with our family and friends. Thank you so much for the wonderful time.

Room Tip: Make sure you bring extra pool towels for the hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rjk101214
Poquoson, VA
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband brought me to Lydia Mountain and "The Snuggle Den" cabin for a wedding anniversary surprise. It was wonderful. We arrived at the cabin where dinner had been pre-arranged. The cabin was filled with candle light and the table was all set. Salads were already prepared and served and the rest of dinner (steak/shrimp/potatoes/rolls) was keeping warm in the oven. It was beautiful, romantic and delicious. The cabin is rustic but comfortable and very cozy with a fully stocked kitchen, good-size bathroom and central air. There is a private hot tub on the back porch and we were completely secluded. It was so quiet that we slept almost 10 hours the first night! The location is such that you can get in and out of the mountain very easy. We spent all day on Saturday exploring the Barboursville Winery and James Madison's Montpelier. I didn't even know that places like Lydia Mountain existed. It was a fantastic experience!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gernsey
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I live in Florida and was looking for a cabin that was easy for us to take our 20-mos. old grandchildren for their first outings in nature. I searched the website with care and called the manager explaining the experience I was intending to create. She answered my questions and in retrospect after my experience there I realize that she never told me that the cabin I thought would be appropriate was about 4 miles from the top of the mountain where the open areas and playground were. It never occurred to me that there were other cabins away from the main area because the google map on the site shows the "lodge and cabins" in the area I wrongly assumed was where our cabin (Sweet Reunion" was. She also neglected to tell me that the pitch on the driveway was so steep and full of pits and gravel, that you needed an aggressive vehicle to get up. We are city dwellers and this omission wascompletely unfair. My son-in-law manged to get up once after 3 trys after a suggestion from a neighbor that you had to back up on the road and speed up as fast as you can to get up the driveway. When I called the next morning, the manager told me the problem was mine because "I did not know how to use their site as to the cabin address was on the website and I should have looked." Really? No guess on my part from their web site. The conversation went south from there. I will spare you the details. All I can say is that cabin was very clean and accommodating. I was quite shocked with the lack of information on their website and the lack of consideration on both of my contacts with this woman. Good luck is all I can say.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I've stayed at Lydia Mountain twice. The first time ti was wonderful. The second time was in April of 2013 and my stay was absolutely ruined by the manager telling me all the things she couldn't do. The weather was unseasonable cold, the heater wasn't working very well and we wanted a fire. There was not enough wood for our second night so I requested additional fire wood be delivered. I waited all day to get a text message saying I could come get wood from the main office - no address. So i texted back to ask for an address. Finally after waiting for hours, I started driving around the mountain in the dark to look for the main office - big mistake - total waste of time. I was also denied my discount because I didn't ask for it when originally booking my stay. I called 48 hours before arrival requesting my $45 discount and was told it was too late because payment had been processed. When did MasterCard stop processing refunds - I guess they need the $45 to buy more fire wood - very poor experience all around. The manager's constant whining about how busy she was and didn't have time to do anything was annoying - the $45 that she was too lazy to process a refund for will cost them in the years to come as my wife and I will be staying somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank RidingMaster
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My wife and I have now stayed at two of the Lydia Mountain cabins for our anniversary trip (Romance Ridge and Mountain Paradise). To say the least, we will never go anywhere else for a cabin stay. These cabins are AWESOME. No complaiints at all. Tina is great to work with and the value is unmatched. The hot tube is such a nice touch. We hate to leave, but will be back next spring.

Room Tip: Mountain Paradise has a bonus pool room in the basement that can accomidate additional occupants.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Va-Ump
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Mountain Paradise cabin December, 2012. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to try a larger cabin & bring our teenage son, dog, and a few friends. We chose the 3 Bears cabin for the # of bedrooms & full-sized pool table.

The cabin was really cute & we had a nice time. The staff provided us with more than enough firewood for the fireplace (which we used and enjoyed each of the three days we were there). The pool table was wonderful - as was the hot tub & views from the deck.

A few things to note...

#1 - There were some stinkbugs. When we arrived, we found a window that was opened a little bit & thought that may be how some were getting into the cabin. We closed the window & hadn't seen too many more afterwards. When I called management to inform them, I was told they are common in the vicinity & management does have pest services for the cabins. If we wanted, they would have come then. The group of us decided to let it be - after all, we were in the woods.

#2 - The mattresses were not comfortable (nothing like Mountain Paradise!). We thought if they had invested in some half-way decent mattress pad toppers for each of the beds, that would have helped some. The linens were clean (Though the cheap mattress pads on each of the beds looked at though they should have been put through the wash) and there were ample pillows & blankets.

#3 - While towels and washcloths were provided, there were just enough for each of us for bathing - but had to use the same for the hot tub. I wish I had known prior to staying, I would have requested all of us take along extra towels for use after using the hot tub. When we stayed in the Mountain Paradise cabin, we were given many more towels than in the 3 Bears cabin - and that cabin was a one bedroom. When I inquired on that, I was told cabins with washers and dryers (as the 3 Bears has) have fewer towels. While I understand their thought on that, I didn't plan to wash the towels at night after using the spa to have them ready for showering the next morning. If you plan to stay in this cabin, take extra towels. Oh...and the cabin provided two robes. We assumed each bedroom would have had two robes offered for the spa.

#4 - The pans were in really, really, really bad shape. We could not believe housekeeping, or whomever goes through the cabins, would have allowed the only pans that were given to us to use were there. Only two were offered and both scratched so badly. We were afraid to get black debris in our food...and one of them had a handle that was barely attached! When I called management, I was told they do the best they can to supply the cabins due to those items are supplied via going to yard sales. My opinion is this - when people rent a beach house, camper, condo, or cabin, they expect to have certain items in usable condition - such as pots and pans. Therefore, places such as these should budget to replace these items when necessary. I will give management credit for showing up at our cabin with two cast iron pans and two other misc pans (used, but in much better condition than the only other two that were offered to us).

#5 - All of the chairs around the kitchen table are VERY wobbly. Every time any of us sat down, we wondered if we'd land on the floor!

To sum it up...we had a wonderful time. The cabin was very cute and the views were spectacular. Management was easy to get ahold of and was very, very nice. The pool table and hot tub were absolutely wonderful to have - in addition to the fireplace, due to it being pretty cold and windy when we visited. For those of you planning a stay here just note...it is the woods, there will be bugs of some sort. Take extra towels. Remember laundry detergent (oh, dryer sheets as well, as everything we took out of the dryer was very staticky!) Remember things like foil and ziplock bags. You will be provided with a small bar of soap and small bottle of shampoo, should you forget yours. The cabin does have dishes, coffee mugs, glasses, wine glasses, utensils, and baking sheets.

I hope this helps you in choosing a cabin getaway. We WILL be staying at Lydia again. When comparing Mountain Paradise and 3 Bears, we've determined Mountain Paradise was comparable to staying at someone's home - very neat, tidy, well appointed, etc - while staying at 3 Bears was more of a typical rental - some things are easily overlooked.

ENJOY! :)

Room Tip: All of the bedrooms have beautiful mountain views. Two bedrooms with full-sized beds and a shared ba...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank luv2bamom3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanardsville
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,088 reviews
Cave Hill Farm Bed and Breakfast
Cave Hill Farm Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 1 in McGaheysville

Been to Lydia Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!