“Fantastic cabin in a scenic location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lydia Mountain Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanardsville
Lydia Mountain Cabins
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic cabin in a scenic location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Let me start by saying that the pictures do not do this cabin justice, we spent three nights in “Mountain Paradise” and the only regret is we did not stay longer we would gladly have lost time elsewhere on our trip to have spent longer there, we just fell in love with the place it really is a credit to both the owners & the staff at Lydia Mountain no issues with bugs, mice, or anything ,I am a mosquito magnet but did not get even one bite, the cabin was beautifully clean the bedding was clean & fresh plenty of clean fresh towels, two lovely bathrooms one with shower & bath one with a shower, fully equipped kitchen, comfy big rustic king bed & two futons two flat panel TVs hooked up with Netflix which the kids loved all streamed great & worked very well as everything in the cabin did, the wifi was great the a/c was fantastic, the raised veranda was a lovely place to sit in the morning or evening & the hot tub was clean & stayed hot the whole stay, the pool table downstairs was good fun, our kids just loved down there, it was their den, I woke early one morning & sat in the tub reading it was so relaxing, we had a campfire every night & BBQ every night also, you really felt remote from everyone & everything, just a fantastic place to be, the owners built it just right & have made it very homely with so many nice little touches & the rustic furniture, we were so sad to leave & loved every second of our stay, we would love to return & stay longer next time, also the way you have no contact with anyone with the keyless entry & leaving the paperwork in the mailbox is a great idea it all helps with the feeling of getting away from it all....thanks again for a wonderful stay it is a time we will always remember.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cheshirelad01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We booked the "Old Damn Cabin" for a romantic getaway - which from the photos looks w.o.n.d.e.r.f.u.l. But this is not what we found. First, it is right off of a busy road. It is not secluded and it is located to a mosquito-infested-stagnant-water pond. (Although when we arrived, there was a very cute family of geese waddling around the pond.)

When I looked at the photos, I had visions of the cabin backing up to, and overlooking, the pond with the hot tub well positioned with a view. But rather the cabin is off-to-the-side and the hot tub is not hidden in the shadows of the cabin, not even overlooking the pond. The grounds are overgrown as well and you constantly hear the noise from the busy street - not romantic at all.

When we arrived it was easy to get into the cabin as it is a keyless entry (nice and convenient). Inside it is cute, but it needs to be aired out a bit because the smell of smoke from the fire is very heavy (common in cabins like this one). There were a ton of stink bugs inside the house - in the bed, on the floor, on the walls, in the kitchen. The bed looked worn and old, and the bedding the same. It didn't seem as though it was cleaned inside at all prior to our arrival.

The outside was also not very impressive. We were told that there was a grill that we could use to barbeque so we brought a lot of food. But when we arrive the grill was broken in pieces on the ground next to the hot tub and looked like it was ten years old and very used. The hot tub was also not impressive - it also appeared old and well worn.

Despite having paid for a week, we left within an hour of our arrival and did not look back. We went to another old cabin that we love to visit - luckily they had space for a few nights. We were sad that we lost the money, but I was not willing to stay in a dirty, loud and misrepresented place any longer than I had to. We were going for my husband's birthday and ended up being very disappointed.

Despite several calls to the manager of Lydia Mountain Cabins, she never returned our calls. Please be advised that your money is better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AdventureSeeker75
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a romantic getaway/short summer vacation.
First let me start out by saying that the cabin itself was beautiful and very peaceful. Also, we liked that we were not bothered by the management the entire time we were there. Check-in was not at any certain time, which is also nice to not have to feel rushed to arrive in time for someone to give you keys. The area was off the beaten path and it was very close to the national park and fairly close to other attractions. The hot tub was also great, and stayed warm (despite a 12-hour power outage one night) the entire time we were there.
When we first arrived, our door wouldn't lock (it is keyless entry). We called management and a guy came right away to take care of it for us. This was around 11pm, so I was very grateful that they were so responsive.
When we were ready to go to bed, we noticed that the sheets were very stinky. They were obviously not clean and I thought they smelled like urine, although my husband just thought it was sweat. At any rate, we changed the sheets and made do with some spares that were in the closet (but were for the full sized futon and not the king bed). We were debating on what to do about it, and decided to just buy our own sheets. I do realize we did not call management about this, but we were concerned we would just get more stinky sheets. They never should have been dirty in the first place, really. On the first morning, the alarm clock went off at 8:30am and woke us both up (we hadn't touched it). Very frustrating!
Our cabin was supposed to have central air, but apparently it wasn't working so we had a portable air conditioner unit instead. It was noisy and didn't work as well as central air (our cabin ended up being cool but still humid). Sitting on the porch out back was nice, but the air conditioning needed to be shut off in order to enjoy the serenity of it.
We had no issues with the hot tub, which was great.
By the time we left (we stayed 5 nights), however, there were rodent droppings in all corners of the bathroom. I never saw any actual rodents, but they were obviously there somewhere.
Another thing to note is that if you have ATT for your cell phone service, it is very sketchy in the area. My husband and I had no cell phone service in the cabin at all and if we hadn't had Internet (something extra you have to request), we would not have been able to make or receive any phone calls. There was no telephone in the cabin, either.
As other reviews have stated, you do have to take out your garbage on your way out and put all sheets and dirty towels in the shower/bath. I did not find the gravel road to be too big of a deal, but it was summer when we stayed and we have an SUV.
Overall, I would not recommend this place to a friend.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lynn A
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

A short distance away from the Swift Rub Gap entrance to the Shenandoah National Park, the Lydia Mountain Cabins are tucked away in the woods. Well-spaced so that each cabin offers no view (or soundtrack!) from the next, your cabin promises seclusion, peace & quiet and a close encounter with the woods around you.

We stayed in Granny B's and while afforded all the comforts we would need (aircon, a fireplace, a dishwasher, fresh towels & linen and all self-catering amenities) the cabin retained the charm, homeliness and appearance of a true cabin in the woods. Our cabin also sported an outside barbecue and hot tub (perfect relaxation!).

The cabin is ideally situated for day-trips into Shenandoah National Park (one of our main reasons for visiting) or simply for a quiet getaway. Activities are also offered (a zip-line that appears geared towards children, 'quad biking' in the woods & spa services, amongst others).

As a side note: We spotted a black bear near the bottom of the zip line slope. While a great sighting for us, it is important to remember that you really are staying in the woods!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank AllyVCT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at the love nest in mid June (21st and 22nd). This was a get away for my boyfriends birthday. I had heard of Lydia Mountain Cabins from one of my friends and decided to try it for him, being we couldn't afford the beach. We arrived late on Friday after spending the afternoon exploring Monticello. When we walked in the cabin it was cool and clean and felt so peaceful. We discovered robes in the closet and decided to go try out the hot tub on the back deck. It was so private with all the trees surrounding it, couldn't hear anything, just peace and quiet. The next day I looked out the front door to see a sweet little black kitty sitting on the porch. I have a black kitty just like that and it was so wonderful seeing her, it made it feel like home, she even brought her little kitten to visit. We made breakfast and enjoyed the porch with a cup of coffee and quiet I didn't want to leave that porch. That morning as we were leaving to go explore, I look down and see 2 pennies on the ground near the steps, I bring this up because as we were leaving to check out Sunday I again saw 2 pennies in the exact same spot at the first time. This was almost like someone put them there on purpose. Very neat . We traveled around and explored the different winery's in the general vicinity. The Moss vineyards are lovely and so is the Reynard Florence winery was a delight. Both are fairly new and the one on one attention on the wine tasting is wonderful. Dinner that night was steak that we purchased in Ruckersville. The grill is right on the property and we even found coal to start it. After dinner another soak in the hot tub, so quiet and lovely. We both slept soundly both nights, and the sun shinning in the windows in the morning was a wonderful natural alarm clock.
We had to leave our little love nest by 11:00 so we packed up. Then we had car trouble, as in we had trouble getting in the car to leave! HA-HA. We will definitely stay there again and maybe try a bigger one with our family and friends. Thank you so much for the wonderful time.

Room Tip: Make sure you bring extra pool towels for the hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rjk101214
Poquoson, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband brought me to Lydia Mountain and "The Snuggle Den" cabin for a wedding anniversary surprise. It was wonderful. We arrived at the cabin where dinner had been pre-arranged. The cabin was filled with candle light and the table was all set. Salads were already prepared and served and the rest of dinner (steak/shrimp/potatoes/rolls) was keeping warm in the oven. It was beautiful, romantic and delicious. The cabin is rustic but comfortable and very cozy with a fully stocked kitchen, good-size bathroom and central air. There is a private hot tub on the back porch and we were completely secluded. It was so quiet that we slept almost 10 hours the first night! The location is such that you can get in and out of the mountain very easy. We spent all day on Saturday exploring the Barboursville Winery and James Madison's Montpelier. I didn't even know that places like Lydia Mountain existed. It was a fantastic experience!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gernsey
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I live in Florida and was looking for a cabin that was easy for us to take our 20-mos. old grandchildren for their first outings in nature. I searched the website with care and called the manager explaining the experience I was intending to create. She answered my questions and in retrospect after my experience there I realize that she never told me that the cabin I thought would be appropriate was about 4 miles from the top of the mountain where the open areas and playground were. It never occurred to me that there were other cabins away from the main area because the google map on the site shows the "lodge and cabins" in the area I wrongly assumed was where our cabin (Sweet Reunion" was. She also neglected to tell me that the pitch on the driveway was so steep and full of pits and gravel, that you needed an aggressive vehicle to get up. We are city dwellers and this omission wascompletely unfair. My son-in-law manged to get up once after 3 trys after a suggestion from a neighbor that you had to back up on the road and speed up as fast as you can to get up the driveway. When I called the next morning, the manager told me the problem was mine because "I did not know how to use their site as to the cabin address was on the website and I should have looked." Really? No guess on my part from their web site. The conversation went south from there. I will spare you the details. All I can say is that cabin was very clean and accommodating. I was quite shocked with the lack of information on their website and the lack of consideration on both of my contacts with this woman. Good luck is all I can say.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanardsville
Lafayette Inn and Restaurant
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,084 reviews

Been to Lydia Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!