“Fast but welcoming”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I'm addicted to Coffee on the Corner. It's my go-to breakfast and/or lunch stop every time I'm in Staunton. And I've even done sandwich-style dinners on occasion!

Staff is welcoming and helpful. Owner remembers regular customers and welcomes us.

Food is very tasty! Lots of interesting sandwiches (the reuben is outstanding!), good soups, nice morning oatmeal, though the bagels are merely ordinary, a nice range of coffees, loose teas (and lemon for those of us who need their tea citric acid'd!). No one makes you feel unwelcome if you just sit and read and sip. Internet access (and several places to plug into power) seems to encourage individuals and small groups to make it a working meal. A couple of soft chairs, a couple of tables with checker/chess boards on the top-- what more can you ask for in a simple coffee shop!

Note: sandwiches come with chips; no fries available, but if I want fries, there are other places to go.

I'll be eating lunch there again in June when I return to Staunton.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were in need of lunch. Happened upon this spot thinking it was only coffee. To our delight found out lunch was available, so we stayed. We were pleased with our meals and would have lingered but had to make an appointment. The coffee and drinks they were making looked delicious, but if in need of a quick and tasty lunch this place fills the bill.

1  Thank TuesdayWednesday
Reviewed 9 May 2014

In my 13 years as a resident in Staunton, VA, I had never been treated as shabbily by a local business as I was by the owner of Coffee on the Corner, Claire. I came in on a Monday morning, dressed in proper work attire, after my volunteer job, to escape the pouring rain while waiting for the bus. In all politeness, I ordered a piece of chocolate cake to go and asked if the charge could be split between cash and credit. The barista said she would have to check if she could do that and disappeared for a moment. She came back to the register, and the owner, Claire, called out from behind the curtain, "No!" That was all she said. The owner did not come to explain the situation or say, "I'm sorry we cannot accept that form of payment" as would have been correct to do. As you can imagine, I was insulted that I was given no explanation, so I will not be returning. I say get your coffee anyplace but Claire's place.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Loved the coffee and the service at the "Coffee on the Corner" in Staunton, VA. Very quaint and friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Wonderful people work there and frequent there. Lots of college students and teachers, with the feeling of intelligent creativity going on all around you. Wonderful - stop in and have a cup!

1  Thank stephenscitymom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stopped for a couple of Americanos, but the food looked so good we ended up having a very tasty lunch.