“Worst Hotel I Have Been Too.”

Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Prince George, Virginia
“Worst Hotel I Have Been Too.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I booked this hotel on accident using Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" tool because I forget to set a different location. Obviously, my bid was accepted and I wasn't able to cancel. We arrived late in the evening to check in and the lady at the front desk didn't seem to know what she was doing. We asked if the hotel's restaurant menu was in our room and she said she didn't know. She gave us our key card yet failed to give us directions as to which floor our room was on. She was far from being friendly. So we proceeded to our room, thinking that the rest of our stay would be good. We weren't about to let one seemingly un-trained hostess ruin our stay. We arrived at our floor and a dingy smell greeted us. We thought that perhaps this was just the hallway's smell, so we entered our room and the smell worsened. There were white flakes on the floor (see photos) to greet us and screws scattered on the nightstand. The pillows on one of the beds were messed up and in their place were what looked like white paint flakes. It looked as if a handy man had begun fixing something, forgot a tool outside and then had never come back to finish the job. There were white putty marks on the wall above both beds and the carpet along the wall was peeling off. I have traveled a LOT and have never slept on such an awful bed. It felt like a hand-me-down bed from my great grandmother or something. The pillows were basically oversized cottonballs in pillow cases and the bathroom had much to be desired. The counter was clean and the toilet seemed clean as well. The tub had brown and orange stuff in the tub's caulking. Gross! Luckily I only paid $50 to stay here, because if I had paid more I would have been extremely upset. This place should be a 1 star hotel in my opinion. With all this said, I really hope this hotel gets it together though, because I feel like it has potential. It is a good location for visitors to historic Staunton, the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashley G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Dear Ashley G,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Your comments about the bathroom conditions and the service you have received which fell below your expectations have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Janice A
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
North Carolina
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Property has a modern decor and is backed onto golf course - so pretty view from that side of hotel - other side is highway. We had no complaints during our 3 night stay. Front desk personnel were helpful and courteous. Breakfast was a bit pricey. Interior rooms were quiet during our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Lisa B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 December 2016
Dear Pretty Good,

I was going through some things as the New GM and I noticed that we missed the chance to thank you for your review. Thank you and I aplologize for not getting back to you in all these years I hope that you are well. I am glad that you like the renovations and I hope that you will give us another chance in the future

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Had a chance to stop at this hotel for one night while traveling north on I-81. It looked like they just updated the rooms with new furniture and accessories. After taking to the front desk personnel it appears it was all done prior to big event they had recently. Room was great and a golf course view was a perfect way to start the morning. One word of caution… the breakfast buffet was useless Sunday morning. No menu to order from at the restaurant unless you order room service… does not make any sense.

I did not use any other services such as the pool, gym or conference center so no comments on these services...

Room Tip: Stop at one of the Virginia Welcome Centers around and you will find a 20% discount off their walk-i...

SPRING HILL
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Where do I start: 1) first and foremost was the mattress. This should have been replaced 20 years ago. I don't know a lot about mattresses but I do know that when you get into bed you should not find yourself rolling into a depression in the middle. 2) Bathroom, could not use the exhaust fan due to the fact that it sounded like a lawnmower engine. Had to wait 10 minutes between showers because the water filled up the tub and went down very slowly. 3) Ice machine broken on our floor and had to use the one on the floor below. 4) no laundry bag and ironing board cover ripped. 5) lastly the whole room smelled of mold. All in all this hotel is in desperate need of and upgrade or else shut it down. It is definitely not worth the price. I would expect these conditions from a $30 a night hotel and not a $100 a night hotel.

2 Thank FRANK D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear FRANK D,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. All our guest comments are valuable and we consider them seriously in the consistent endeavor to improve the quality of our products and service.

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the challenges you have encountered with some of our amenities and deeply regret the inconvenience and dissatisfaction this has caused you.

We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests & this is crucial for us to address any issues that may come up. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Staunton hotels

Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stopped here after driving 12 hours in a moving van - the staff was welcoming, the property very clean and the grounds very well maintained. The room was large, the beds comfortable and the shower hot. We ate in the restaurant on the property for dinner that evening and breakfast the next morning. The food was good and the staff were efficient and courteous. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling that way.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

The guy at the front desk was unfriendly. The water in the pool is not clear and there are small live animals swimming in the water. I think the pool should be closed by the authorities. On top of that our room smells heavily.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear JHellmuth,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and provide the best experience possible.

I humbly extend an apology for the dissatifaction you had with our level of cleanliness and deeply regret the poor experience you had in our pool area.

Dhan M
Barnstead
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Checked in at 4:30 with reservations made a month earlier and clerk spent 10 minutes on phone with maid service upstairs trying to find out if a room was available. Finally get upstairs and less than half of the rooms had been serviced at 4:45.

Room Tip: Restaurant on site so no breakfast available other than in restaurant
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear 03218,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments regarding the staff are very much appreciated. This is one of the ways that let us know where we need to improve.

Connie D