“Pleasant Surprise”

Hampton Inn Staunton
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I'm from Staunton and I'm here with my fiancé and my future in-laws this weekend. Yesterday we hung out in downtown Staunton and saw a play at the Black Friar's so our plan was to stay at the Stonewall Jackson (a lovely hotel with a lot of history and character). I was really pleased that my fiancé's parents got a room there because it's their first time here and I wanted them to gave a great first impression. Unfortunately, the rest of the hotel and all of the nearby bed and breakfast were full, so we ended up with a room here, at the Hampton Inn.
The location, as I knew, is not good. It's across from our 'mall' which is a pathetic excuse for a mall, and everything else around is pretty generic and unattractive. However, I have to say I'm pretty pleased so far and I'd stay here next time we come to Staunton.
The price is quite a bit lower, the beds are comfortable, everything is clean and updated. I like that the beds have machine washable duvet covers that actually get washed, unlike most hotels that have nasty bedspreads that don't. The employees are so friendly! The breakfast is really impressive and there's a pool and complimentary wifi. Good coffee with several options on the brew. Complimentary cookies. Really, it's everything you need for a quick stop, and the drive to downtown is less than 5 minutes. Will come back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
StauntonHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn Staunton, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for the great review! I am so glad you all enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again the next time you stop through the area.

Take Care-

Reviewed 25 April 2014

No discount offered for senior or AAA due to spring break in the region. Renovations occurring on the floor where we were staying and the room was extremely noisy (near highways). If one is going to the hotel to sleep I suggest that you bypass this one for sure as its location is next to a highway. Perhaps if you can get a room on the opposite side, it might be doable.

1  Thank Rose S
StauntonHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn Staunton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

I wanted to let you know that this review was meant to be written for another hotel. Our hotel in Staunton, VA is not under construction, nor are we a spring break destination that would not offer any type of discount for our senior travelers. I am so sorry that you experienced this situation at another Hampton property, and I suggest you contact Hilton Guest Assistance to help resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

while we initially lamented not staying at a historic property downtown, this was so well priced, so convenient, staff was so great, and breakfast and facilities so well kept, that when we return for Blackfriars Shakespeare, we will definitely stay here again; staff were better than a typical urban concierge; only complaint is that they need more pillows; only two for a king bed is inadequate, otherwise this property would have been completely comparable to a higher end brand hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I arrived at the hampton in Staunton after a three hour drive to smiling faces asking us about our trip. Everyone is very nice and the breakfast is very good! I would defintly come back to the hotel! The rooms are nice and comfortable.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed here overnight to break up a road trip. I didn't check in until after midnight. The front desk clerk was very friendly and asked me if I needed help when she noticed I was traveling alone with a small child.

Room was clean and all that I expected from a Hampton Inn. Complimentary breakfast was good. I really wanted to like this place. However, I had a few issues (in order of occurrence, not severity):

I couldn't get the television to turn on. It indicated it was on but I never was able to get a program. It's Direct tv I believe. I called down to the front desk and the lady tried to help me over the phone (reset the box, make sure you are on the correct channel/input, etc) but nothing ever happened. Since it was late at night, I let it go. But it was really frustrating to not be able to watch television after spending hours on the road. I can't recall the last time I have had issues with the television at a hotel (and never at a Hampton).

When I woke up this morning and went to turn off the alarm clock, I scraped my hand against the night stand. There was a chipped edge on the corner of the nightstand that made the corner very sharp.This is probably something that wasn't easily noticeable. I actual cut the palm of my hand. Now, I don't want to sound dramatic. I don't need stitches or anything but I did bleed and it does hurt. I actually got blood on the pretty white comforter. I don't blame the hotel, it just bummed me out. I did notify the front desk attendant when I checked out and I am confident the hotel will address this. If my young son had cut himself on this edge, I would probably be more upset.

The final thing that really irked me was only having one package of regular coffee in the room. I know this sounds trivial :). There were four packages and three were decaf, But after the other issues (no tv, cut hand), I really wanted my coffee!

I think it is unlikely (hopefully) that all these annoyances would happen to someone else, so I guess I would recommend it to others. However, I just can't rate it as very good based on the experiences I had.

1  Thank boredlazy
StauntonHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn Staunton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, and for choosing us as your stop-over. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the television and the nightstand chip. My staff informed me of this situation the morning of your departure, and we invoked our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on your behalf. We have taken the appropriate steps in resolving the room issues, and I appreciate you bringing them to our attention. If you decide to travel through the Staunton area in the future, I do hope that you will consider us for your overnight.

Again, thank you so much, and if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

If you are traveling through the Shenandoah Valley on business or pleasure, book a night at the Hampton Inn Staunton. The staff is great, and the hotel is close to great restaurants, the Blue Ridge Pkwy. and a number of local attractions.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Lane W
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Staunton for a night while traveling the Valley Pike in Virginia. I cannot praise the staff there enough. They were enthusiastic, attentive, and helpful. They gave great advice about restaurants and attractions. Based on that advice, my wife and I had an outstanding dinner at Emilio's in downtown Staunton. Breakfast the next morning, was just as outstanding: hot, delicious, and plentiful. Again, the staff, including maids, was just as attentive and pleasurable as they were the previous evening. The Hampton Inn Staunton not only maintains the high standard that I have come to expect form all Hampton Inn hotels, in my opinion it set the standard. Well done and we'll be back!

Room Tip: I prefer a room facing the front, looking toward the mountains.