“Great friendly staff”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Millville, Massachusetts, United States
“Great friendly staff”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We arrived later in the evening after traveling from MA. Chris (who checked us in) was friendly and helpful. Went out of his way to make our check in fast and even fun. We were told we were the "guests of the day"! Got upgraded to a king suite, so that was pretty cool. Stayed here agian on our return trip and the service was just as good! We have been overall very happy with Hampton Inns, but this one seems to go above and beyond. The free breakfast is just enough to get you going in the a.m. too. Food is prepared well, pretty good choices...although in the cereal would be nice if some boxes of chex (gluten free) too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 14 June 2014

As usual being a Gold Hilton Honors member we got an automatic upgrade to a king suite and had a really nice room. Very clean, quiet and comfortable ... just what we needed for this one night stop on our long road trip. The young man at the front desk (Chris) was so cheerful and helpful ... told us all about restaurant options nearby and historic sites in the area plus evening entertainment venues. Check-in was a breeze. It had been a long day and we didn't feel like going out so we just ate at the AppleBee's restaurant that was near the hotel.
Thanks Hampton Inn Staunton!

Room Tip: We always stay on an upper floor away from elevator where it is usually more quiet even when a hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vinalhaven, Maine
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I love staying at Hampton Inns. They are consistently clean, well-taken care of and predictable.

The one in Staunton had an amazing breakfast! The best "free" motel breakfast I've encountered. The scrambled eggs with cheese and ham was delicious! Gourmet, even. The coffee (dark roast) was also a cut above most coffees in motels. Fruit salad: terrific.

And, as usual, clean, well-appointed room and friendly service. Good job, Hampton Inn!

Room Tip: I had one o the first floor in the back and it was very quiet, AND I could check up on my U-Haul tru...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank petoq
Alachua, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Staff and facilities top notch. Breakfast wonderful . I have paid much more for less service. I was in town for a memorial service for my parents ..the staff overheard ad provided a very thoughtful card extending their condolences. I thought this was above and beyond the expected courtesies and very much appreciated the effort.

1 Thank Bruce M
FT Lauderdale, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were staying at different hotels, none matched Hampton for the best all around service , the rooms were always clean and fresh and the breakfest was just right because we had a choice of what to eat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Robert L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel exceeded all expectations for a 3.5 star! Did I mention that it is only rated as a 2.5 star?

I am an admitted "Hotel Snob" who has champagne taste on a beer budget! When we decided on a weekend getaway to Staunton from the DC area, I had my doubts about this hotel. In the end, we chose it because it had larger rooms, wasn't near a railroad track and had fairly decent reviews. After purchasing the room, we packed our bags and prepared for the worst!

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Reservations: I called to verify our reservations and request extra pillows. I individual with whom I spoke was incredibly professional, polite and accommodating! That immediately reassured me us as to our decision to stay at this hotel.

ARRIVAL

Outside: The hotel grounds are what you would expect from a 2.5 star - behind an Applebee's and gas station, next to a Tractor Supply Co., very little landscaping and surrounded by their asphalt parking lot. That being said, the parking lot was clean and well lit! We felt safe unloading our vehicle (we arrived at about 11pm) and going inside.

Front Desk: The employee at the front desk was extremely polite and professional. She set a standard that would be met by each employee from that point on! I was promptly welcomed and given our room keys.

(Side note: Maybe I've been in the DC area for too long, but I was incredibly surprised by how friendly the staff was. It has been a while since I've visited a business where I'm treated like I'm an old friend! Maybe that says a lot about this particular hotel...or more likely, about the incredible people who reside in the Staunton area!)

FOYER/HALLWAY

The foyer, elevators and hallways leading to the room were very clean. You can definitely tell this is a NON-SMOKING hotel.

DELUXE KING ROOM:

Size: This is one of the largest hotel room I've stayed in! There was more than enough room for us, the car seat, stroller, bags, etc. The only thing we found odd due to the room's size was not really being able to watch TV from the bed. You can see the TV screen, but it is on the opposite side of the room (length wise). This problem was solved by wearing ourselves out during the day and wanting to jump into bed once we got home!

Overall Cleanliness: The room was VERY clean! The floors were clean, everything had been dusted, and the room smelled fresh!

King Bed: We've found that many hotels try to pass off a queen sized bed for a king. This was a TRUE king bed! It was also VERY comfortable. I believe this was a Serta mattress - not your average rock mattress carried by most chains! The bedding was also very clean and fresh. The comforter was made from faux down, I believe, and was great! Pillows were also full, not the normal flat feather pillows normally found at hotels.

Bathroom: VERY clean and not cramped at all. There was plenty of counter space! Our room was stocked with plenty of towels, wash cloths, etc.This bathroom was a shower only, so no soaking in a warm bath! That being said, I've got to applaud the great shower head and water pressure! I like high-pressure showers! I want my shower to be able to peel the paint off of the wall! One of my biggest pet peeves about hotel showers is usually a lack of water pressure - not here! The shower head allows from a gentle shower to a high-pressure wash! Perfect! My only complaint is that the towels were your average, low-end, scratchy hotel towels.

Fridge & Microwave: The fridge was your standard mini-fridge. It works great for keeping water bottles cold and freezing ice packs for the next day's outing. The microwave was quite possibly the smallest one I've ever seen! I was going to buy some popcorn to pop, but wasn't sure that it would fit! Ok, it would probably fit a bag of popcorn, but that is about it. This is perfect for heating up a last night's Chinese food or a Hot Pocket, I guess. We never had the need to use it.

AC/Thermostat: This room had a digital thermostat. It works so much better than the normal blue-to-red dial found on most cooling units!

Adjoining room: The room adjoining this particular room housed two queen beds. This would be perfect for a family or group of 5+!

Counter Space: My favorite feature was all of the counter space! The room contained a long counter with a deep sink! As the room only had a shower, we couldn't adequately bathe our six month old in the bathroom. This deep sink doubled as a personal bath / hot tub for our little one and she LOVED it!

POOL

The pool is outdoors and I'm sure quite cold! To get to the pool area, you have to walk out of the back door (exit to the parking lot) and then into the fenced pool area. It would be great if the pool could only be entered from inside the hotel.

BREAKFAST

The breakfast was about what you would expect from a 3.5 star hotel, so above par for a 2.5. There was plenty of hot food - even when we showed up about 15 minutes before breakfast was to end. There was plenty of seating. They even had a high chair for the little one. The employee preparing breakfast was very willing to come wipe down the chair for our little one to use.

Side note: One morning, while at breakfast, we happened to be able to see into the kitchen area. The individual preparing the breakfast dropped a tray of food....and promptly threw it away, then washed his hands and went back to preparing more food! That is exactly what I wanted to see!

OVERALL:

I've never stayed in a Hampton before this trip, settling for their big brother The Hilton instead. This experience has changed my mind and made me a believer! We love the Staunton area and will be returning several times over the remainder of the year. If this particular hotel can beat the price of the other Hamptons in the area, we'll be there!

Y'all are obviously doing something right! Keep up the amazing job you're doing!

Room Tip: You are far enough away from the highway that noise doesn't seem to be an issue regardless of wh...
2 Thank Ryan M
StauntonHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn Staunton, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write this great, detailed review! I love to hear the experiences of all of our guests, but particularly ones who have never stayed with us or another Hampton. I am proud that we exceeded your expectations, and look forward to your return visit this summer!

Best Regards,

Andrew Bailey
York, PA, United States
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Excellent service; really great complimentary breakfast with omelettes! Rooms clean and nicely decorated, and very comfortable. Easy access off Route 81 but very quiet. If you are travelling in the Staunton area or anywhere nearby, this is an excellent choice.

1 Thank Sharon F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center
Hampton Inn Waynesboro / Stuarts Draft
Red Roof Inn Staunton
Red Roof Inn Staunton
#6 of 15 in Staunton

Been to Hampton Inn Staunton? Share your experiences!