“Horrendous, what's #18 like??”
Review of Econo Lodge East

Econo Lodge East
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
“Horrendous, what's #18 like??”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Absolutely the worst hotel my wife has ever stayed in and the staff just didn't care. Was only option for 2 bed, nonsmoking room within 25 miles of Staunton last night (Sat) due to holiday travel and local events. Sheets not clean, skanky capet, towel rack falling off, nasty stuff on the toilet and tub. The #17 rating of 18 hotels in Staunton is unfortunately unwell deserved-avoid this place!!

Room Tip: "not at this place"
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dmocap2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
PA
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have never seen a hotel room as filthy as this. The bathroom was never cleaned. When I called the front desk the phone just rang and rang. I immediately walked to the office and the manager was just sitting there, she purposely did not answer the phone. I will never stay at an Econolodge ever.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank cmdwcd

Travellers are raving about these Staunton hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This place was cheap but I got 10 bed bug bites in one night and they never mentioned they had a bed bug problem. Considering the effort that it takes to get rid of bed bugs once you bring them home, this place is not worth the risk.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Eva C
Wallkill, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I've been staying at the Econo Lodge, Stauntan for years on my way to and from my Mothers house. Its never been a fancy place but fine for a nights sleep on my half way mark to SC. This last time I stayed there on my way home, I got home and had bites on my back, legs and stomach. I had a total of 25 bites in the "breakfast, lunch and dinner pattern". This is a sure way to tell if these were bed bug bites. I also noticed a little red mark on my sheets and should have left then but, thought it was a stain. (another sign of bed bugs)

I called the Econo lodge and told Iris what happened. She asked that I call back and speak to the owner, Mr Gondie. I called back and got his wife. She said she checked the room and "didnt see anything" Im still getting more bites at this point because thats how bed bugs work. The bites dont show up right away most times. She offered me a 15% discount because I always stay there. I wasn't too thrilled with that answer so, I tried again and again to get Mr.Gondie. I was given the run around for days and finally called my bank to dispute the $48.00 or so charge on my account. Thats ALL I wanted was my return trip refunded because I know these things happen. Im still waiting for my paper work to dispute it because at this point I can't even get them to answer the phone at Econo lodge, caller ID?

Thank God the critters didn't come home with me. I left most of my stuff in the car. I will never stay at the Econo lodge in Staunton again and its their loss because I might have gave them another chance had they done the right thing and refunded my $48.00. I travel down that way sometimes 3 times a year.

If you are going to stay in the Econo Lodge of Staunton, DO A BED BUG CHECK! or better yet, stay at another hotel because this man, Mr.Gondie is not a man that will do the right thing!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Aubrea
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 13 May 2012

On a recent trip to Staunton we stayed at the Econo Lodge because of convenient location and reasonable price. Upon checking in the desk manager (Iris I think) was very friendly, professional and helpful. The room was basic but definitely adequate - only complaint - enough hot water for only one shower, the second and third taking a shower had barely warm water.

Because I was not expecting much from the breakfast included with the room I did not even grab a cup of coffee there and cannot comment. Lot's of nice places close by and a coffee maker in the room was more than sufficient. The over sized (for a motel) refrig and the microwave - most appreciated. The room was quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Checked in here one night during a road trip. The man at the desk was professional enough, but not willing/able to point out dining establishments in the area, other than the Chili's next door. The room smelled musty. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable, as were the pillows. There was a red smudge (nail polish? blood?) on the side of the toilet tank. There was no heat on in the room when I arrived. I turned it on when I got there, and the room didn't get warm until the following morning. There are no elevators, so you have to carry everything to the second floor. There were quite a few vending machines. I did not go to the Continental breakfast. The day manager didn't speak very good English, and was very hard to understand. Not really worth the price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Willow1400
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Spent one evening here during a recent roadtrip. Our room was very clean and comfortable, shower was nice and hot, a little spartan on the room furnishings. Breakfast was minimal and in a very small area of the front lobby but the coffee was good and hot. Parking out front of our room. An OK place to stay during our roadtrip.

• Stayed January 2012