“Great Attention to Detail and Service”
Review of Zynodoa

Zynodoa
Ranked #2 of 137 Restaurants in Staunton
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014

There were 4 of us at Zynodoa in Staunton, VA. We received excellent service and great food. The only 'error' was a forgotten/late arriving cocktail. Two people had the fried oyster appetizer (very moist), while the other two shared a side of twice fried potatoes with sea salt and paprika (why that was our appetizer is another story). All mains were excellent. The boneless short ribs (2 people) were tender and juicy served with velvety mashed potatoes. There was brine marinated chicken and the fourth had flour gnocchi that were light as a feather and delicately seasoned. Two shared a chocolate pot de creme and two the cherry fragipan (torte). With a bottle of excellent red wine, dinner and tip was $230. These guys really try, from getting the best local ingredients through pleasant service. The priciest restaurant on this vacation that included Williamsburg and Fredericksburg.

1  Thank Compuvideo

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I ate at Zynodoa last night and were thoroughly charmed. Downtown Staunton, home of Woodrow Wilson, was completely deserted, but Zynodoa was a warm, welcoming exception to the "Closed on Monday" rule. Lots of the food is grown locally in the Valley, and some on the restaurant's OWN FARM. For openers, they served us a spectacular leek and goat cheese tart-savory, crispy and delicately flavored. My bride had their shrimp and grits, again, savory and flavorful with huge shrimp (excessive broth the only downside). I had the steak frites- super flavorful steak with local mushrooms and leeks and a smallish portion of delicious crispy fries with garlic aioli. Only criticism of my dish was that it was luke warm, not piping hot on service. We split a wonderful cherry tart with chantilly cream for desert. Other than serving a neighboring diner's beer in a brandy snifter (!!?), we couldn't find a flaw in presentation or service.
People were super friendly. We're coming back in the summer for Shakespeare in the neighboring Black Friars Playhouse.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wow what a great restaurant. The food was some of the best I have ever eaten. I must warn you, however, the food it very rich and I am not used to such richness, but enjoyed every bite. The setting is very nice and seemed to be a local favorite. I cannot wait until we are back in Staunton to try it again.

1  Thank Walter D
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were driving along I-64, heading west, and stopped for the night at a lovely inn (Iris Inn) in Waynesboro, VA. The innkeeper recommended Zynodoa when we said we were desperate to avoid a chain restaurant. It's a small, comfortable place with a pleasantly relaxed atmosphere. Wine list was good and not wildly expensive. Food was truly great. The only disturbing factor was the wait staff person who was trying so hard that she was intrusive, popping over every few minutes with inane comments that always ended in a strange giggle. Other than her (we were reluctant to tell her to back off because she's new and would take such a comment badly), a really nice choice for dinner in Staunton. We heard there's another excellent restaurant in town, but it was closed on the Monday night we were there. Hint: we asked if it would be OK to take our unfinished bottle of wine in the car with us as we drove back to our inn. Apparently, it's OK to do so. Widens the range of wines you can choose from as there weren't many available by the glass.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Southern Fried Pork was very good and my bartender was nice, but overall kind of hostile towards solo diners. Had to order a prix fixe 3-course meal, though 2 would have sufficed, and then out of one of the items on the prix fixe menu.

Been to Zynodoa? Share your experiences!