“Basically great place, but an off night”
Review of Zynodoa

Zynodoa
Ranked #2 of 131 Restaurants in Staunton
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, Georgia
“Basically great place, but an off night”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I went prepared to LOVE Zynodoa, based on its reputation (plus I think I'd been there once before). I left kind of disappointed, although I still think it's a good restaurant and would go back - just that several things didn't work out very well on this visit.

All started out fine - they didn't have a Virginia Chard by the glass so I had a Virginia Viognier which was very good. They brought a little jar of what they call Virginia peanuts - mix of peanuts, soybeans, and something else with a bit of sweet glaze and a bit of hotness. Very good, although the top part was the best (where the peanut-brittle-like larger pieces were stuck) and it got kind of boring at the bottom.

I wanted small plates, so after much consultation with the waiter I ordered the corn bisque and the goat cheese tartlet (hoping that would leave room for dessert). Corn bisque was very good, although thinner than I was expecting - I think it was mostly corn liquid, not much added thickener or dairy, which is probably a good thing. Also included good bits of bacon and sliced green onion, which somewhat overwhelmed the corn flavor.

Goat cheese tartlet (highly recommended by waiter) was pretty good but very salty and pickly-tasting. I was expecting kind of a custard texture with the caramelized onions mixed in, but this was more like a lot of pickled onions with a bit of cheese stuff. The crust, as advertised, was shortbread and very very rich and crumbly and a bit sweet. It was a good combination and would have been perfect for a few people to split as an appetizer, just eating a bite or two -- but as my dinner it was just too much pickle. So I ate about 2/3 of it and told the waiter that. He said "Well, that's the first time I've ever heard any complaints about it!!!" I said it wasn't a complaint, just my reality.

So he brings the dessert menu. Everything was chocolatey and rich (I was hoping for something fruity). He came back and I said basically that. He got kind of huffy and said, "Well, it IS dessert." I said I didn't want dessert, and he just grabbed the menu and spun on his heel and stomped off. I honestly don't think he meant to be rude but it certainly came across that way. Very soon he came stomping back and plonked the check down on the table and started to stomp off without saying anything. I said "Thank you" kind of coldly (OK, snottily, I admit it) and he finally realized something was wrong and came back and said "Is there anything else?" I said no.

So after he got the check there was quite a wait, but then he came back and said "I talked to a manager and got the tartlet taken off your check, since you didn't like it." I thanked him (and tipped on what the total would have been) but I guess he figured that was why I was annoyed, and the whole thing was not a very cordial exchange. I do think he had good intentions but just had no training as a waiter beyond how to carry a tray without dropping it. A place at that level of food (and reputation) needs to train its servers in the whole art of graciousness.

So, I'll go back on a future visit to Staunton, I won't order the tartlet, and I'll hope that either I'm not in his section, or he's learned more about being a good waiter by then.

1 Thank FoodieOnAHarley

Boston, Massachusetts
“Late night - yes, a must try for dinner”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Got out of a concert around 10 PM and looking for an open restaurant for a light bite. Behold Zynodoa - welcoming, well decorated, enjoyable and informative waiter and bartender. Asked if we could still get served and when they closed. Answer: yes and when you leave. So true. Enjoyed drinks, salad and several light plates including crab on lemon risotto (to die for), stuffed portobello and double cooked pork belly ( fantastic). Staying 5 nights - must get back for dinner!

1 Thank drdblu
Jeffersonton, VA
“Delightful food!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a first rate place, the food is wonderful and the service is excellent. We eat dinner before seeing the play at Blackfriar's and they made sure we were out in plenty of time. Hope to return!

Visited August 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Fresh farm to table and DEEeelish!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Enjoyed a birthday celebration dinner here while staying at the Iris Inn in Waynesboro. They were kind enough to work us in on a busy Monday night after making a last minute reservation. Enjoyed 2 great dishes - brined chicken and roast pork - from a very interesting menu. Great service - never rushed, nice cocktails as well. Will definitely return on our next visit to this sweet town.

Schaefferstown
“highly recommend”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We really enjoyed our meal here. Locally sourced food, skillfully prepared. One of the best meals i have eaten in a long time. I was not a fan of the "middle" table in the banquette seating, but the food more than made up for my initial qualms.

Visited August 2014

Been to Zynodoa? Share your experiences!