“the best”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 29 January 2012

great little place where everything is homemade..best bbq & jerk chicken and pulled pork plus outstanding carribean entrees..excellent service with economical prices too

Reviewed 31 December 2011

The food was wonderful- nice variety of BBQ & Caribbean food. However, be warned! They have no restrooms!

1  Thank Tomandjuli
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I arrived in Staunton on a Sunday and was disappointed that this place was closed until the day I was leaving - on a Tuesday. I was anticipating eating there several times as I have heard so much about it.

In the end - after checking out of my hotel, I cruised over and parked - hoping that they would be open and they were!

As I had a long drive back to Baltimore and was taking part of Skyline Drive on the way - I opted for what I have been craving for - a pulled pork sandwich.

First of all - it was only $4.00. That is unbelievable - living near Baltimore has gotten me used to handing over big money for anything lately.

The smell of the pork did not allow me to even exit the parking lot before I inhaled half of the sandwich. The taste was unlike anything I had ever tasted before - it was an incredible burst of flavor - the pork was melt-in-your-mouth tender and I would have to say that this BBQ is closest to North Carolina style - tangy - but with a twist.

I am not a fan of the cloyingly sweet BBQ that you usually find - this was some kind of Carribean-Southern combination of spices and flavors.

I was kicking myself on the ride home - wishing that I had purchased a gallon of the stuff to take home.

While Wright's is usually my first stop whenever I am in town - I think this modest little BBQ may be my new go-to-first!

Reviewed 28 September 2011

I arrived in Staunton late and hungry for a business conference. I wanted some protein. I found The Smoking Rooster via Google Maps. Nice walk in older neighborhood. Good weather. Approached the door to the small restaurant and learned that they were closed. :( But, the owner said, come on in I will take care of you. And he did. He prepared for me a delicious half rack of ribs to go. The Martin chips were good also. Check this place out. A good family man working hard to offer something different to the community.

2  Thank redavis2
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Delicious food and the portions were a good size. We definitely got our money's worth. Had we known about the place sooner we would have had them cater our party. Now that we do know we will definitely be going back and using them to cater our family and business functions in the future. If you haven't tried the food you need to. Loved the chicken and ribs and the sides were to die for!!!!!!!!

2  Thank valley540girl