“Bakery, Breakfast Nook, and Art Gallery”
Review of Newtown Bakery

Newtown Bakery
Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Staunton
Staunton, Virginia
“Bakery, Breakfast Nook, and Art Gallery”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is a fantastic bakery (try the walnut wheat bread and rosemary rolls) that also serves an excellent breakfast and not just pastries but homemade quiches with locally sourced ingredients. It is also an art gallery with shows of very good paintings and photos, and they hold outdoor concerts on the back patio in good weather. They started selling their bread in the local farmers' market and are now one of the most popular venues in one of the loveliest parts of town.

• Visited July 2014

“Great bread...nice people”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is French bread in Virginia. Everything they bake is good, the croissants are flaky, the morning bun is not on my diet, but I've heard they're great: cinnamon, yeasty bread, crunchy sugar. A simple beautiful baguette is the real reason to frequent this place unless you came for a sandwich with ham and cheese on a baguette, with onion, mustard and mayonnaise. I haven't tried the beer garden. This inside dining is informal, a little industrial, artsy, thoughtful, prone towards writers, lawyers, women with friends and people who park their bikes outside. I know a plumber who loves the place.

• Visited June 2014
Orlando, Florida
“Amazing baked goods and coffee”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We loved everything they offered and they have amazing coffee. We also loved Dwayne! A must if your in Staunton.

Visited June 2014
Staunton, Virginia
“Not child friendly, not adult friendly either.”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Although I had purchased bread from this bakery before, I had never eaten a meal there until today. Unfortunately we had such a bad experience we won't be going back. Eating good bread is just not worth being treated so poorly by the owner of this restaurant. My family, which included a 2 yr. old & an infant, arrived for breakfast on a holiday weekend. There was not a high chair in the restaurant. Our 2 yr. old grandson got up suddenly from the table & ran over to one of the pieces of art on the wall. We immediately darted after him to stop him from touching the print but apparently the owner of the restaurant spotted him & didn't notice us. She screamed at him, leaving all of us in shock. Since we already had control of our grandson it was obvious to everyone that this display of anger towards a customer was totally uncalled for. My daughter was in tears. My husband spoke to the owner & she apologized to him. We stayed to finish our meal & wondered if the owner would apologize to my daughter--she never did. She avoided eye contact with us. Very sad that such an angry person is in a business that depends as much on good food as good customer service.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Lydspot
Raphine, Virginia
“Very good bakery/improved customer service would bring to five stars”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I have eaten at the Newtown Bakery several times. The breads and rolls are made from scratch and are excellent. The croissants and other pastries are also top notch. I recommend both chicken salad sandwiches (plain and the fancy version with fruit), and their soups of the day are often very tasty. There are some improvement opportunities that would bring this establishment to five stars.
First, nearly every time that I have gone to this restaurant, one of the two coffees of the day (self serve in sealed thermos dispenser) have been empty or nearly empty. When I mentioned this recently, the staff member declined to make more coffee "so close to closing." The problem was that they were going to be open for another 2.5 hours, and they should have gladly made more coffee. The remaining coffee, though tasty, was not quite hot enough or fresh enough. Second, when we arrived, all the pastries were gone other than the macaroons and some cookies. When I asked if they would be making more croissants or pastries, they said they were not. I was very disappointed, having driven 25 miles with out of town company to try their wonderful pastries. With two and a half hours to go, more pastries should have been baked. Third, is customer service. Every staff member there is cordial, respectful, and professional. But there is not generally a sense of warmth and welcome from the staff--only acknowledgement. Their attitude toward replenishing coffee and baked goods are examples of not putting the customer first in all things. The best restaurants not only provide excellent food as Newtown certainly does: but have a warm and welcoming atmosphere, deep appreciation for customers ("how is everything? Can I get you anything else?" vs. "thanks" as you are walking out. It is truly a management decision whether to act on these recommendations. One option is to say, "We have great food and treat customers decently; that is enough for us." The other option is to work as hard on the customer service end as the food; and the business will likely grow significantly.

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank kcfield

Been to Newtown Bakery? Share your experiences!