Motel 6 Staunton
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Make no mistake, this place is tired. As a previous reviewer mentioned, it's the old 70's style Holiday Inn type where the buildings surround a pool (which I can't rate since it was winter). Rooms are quite large. However, the bathrooms were incredibly worn, and the fixtures/ceiling were old and chipping as mentioned earlier. I didn't find the room or bathroom to be dirty at all. Not spotless, but acceptably clean.

I liked the bed linens/duvet cover/pillows.

There was a problem with the heater, where the thermostat dial (Room 125) wouldn't work. Therefore, it was either on (blowing out warm air) or off. And getting up multiple times during the night, either sweating or freezing to turn it on or off was hard. I did bring this to the attention of the front desk in the morning, and I am sure they will take care of it.

Also note that the room we stayed in (125) is right next to a stairwell, which you can hear quite clearly when someone goes up or down. If this bothers you, I'd request a room that's not next to stairs.

Breakfast was nice, and they had it out promptly by 5:30 (advertised at 6) which was good for us since we needed an early start.

I give them an above average rating due to the quality/level of service. Value is good compared to rates of competing hotels in the Staunton area. With a bathroom renovation and new carpet, this place would be great.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 November 2009

I would not recommend this hotel. The service was wonderful, but the facilities need to be updated. The bedding and furniture were fine, but the bathroom was dreadful. The tub's finish was falling off and running down the drain. The tub was also dirty and the bathroom had hair in it from the previous guests.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2009

This is an old motel (perhaps an original Holiday Inn?) that desperately needs A LOT of TLC -- or perhaps to be bulldozed. The exterior components of the buildings seem to be slowly rotting away.

That said, once you get in your room (not always easy -- my door stuck hard to the frame), you will be pleasantly surprised. Probably because by that time you're not expecting much! But my king bed room was tastefully furnished (for a Quality Inn), the bed was firm with newish looking linens, the carpet was clean and the maids had done a good job cleaning up. Sure, the bathroom was old and small, but reasonable.

The check in staff was courteous and friendly (the desk clerk even wore a jacket and tie!), and the free continental breakfast was surprisingly good. It even included bacon and eggs (OK, not the best of either, but edible and the price was right).

So what seems to be going on here is that someone has bought an old motel and is TRYING to run it as best they can (without sinking a ton of money into renovating the property). I give them kudos for it. And if you can get a cheap rate here (you should be able to), or it's the only place available on a busy fall weekend, you can stay here with confidence that it won't be a bad experience.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Older motel, but the rooms have a refrigerator, microwave, and a good dog walking area. It seemed that half the guests had dogs. It's not plush, but it is a good value for the money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I stayed here just one night and was VERY impressed.. When I walked in the room it literally sparkled, kudos to "Dilly" the maid for that--good job!! Everyone I dealt with was courteous/helpful when I had questions about restaurants/stores etc.---No it doesn't have a restaurant on site--no it's not next to a gas station and yes I guess you could say it's "remote"---Remote IMO usually translates into "quiet" and that it was !! It's located next to I-81--I'm guessing I drove 4-5 miles to food/gas, so for me no problems there. I don't usually write reviews ,but after reading some of the negative reviews I felt I owed it to this particular Quality Inn to say--"GOOD JOB GUYS"---I'll be back next year !!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2009

While the price was reasonable, this property is poorly maintained. The exterior is in great need of powerwashing and painting. The stairs are rusty, the windows dirty. It looks like it has not been cared for in years!
The bed was comfortable and the room reasonably clean, but the carpet needed replacing, and the toilet rain constantly. As mentioned buy others, the a/c unit produced a loud rattle. The free breakfast was a joke! Coffee and milk were nearly out and the desk clerk (the only employee seen) did not check on them. The "egg patties" were cold.

I did not have trouble with a wireless signal, but i did have to exit and reopen my browser frequently because the log on had an apparent time limit.

I hope the owner will see this and cares enough to get this property in better shape!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2008

I have stayed here a few times, most recently in May 2008. Older property, but pretty well maintained. Exterior corridors, 2 story with no elevator. Although it's right on the interstate, there's nothing around the property except fields so it seems kind of remote. Travelers who are extra security concious need to keep that in mind. Check in was very friendly, much friendlier than check out. Room was clean and comfortable, usual amenities plus a microwave and fridge. Pillows and mattress were comfortable. Lousy Wi-Fi, good signal but it was so slow I couldn't even use it and I tried with 2 different laptops. Called the front desk, the clerk hadn't received any other complaints. Next morning around 8:30 I tried it again and it was working fine. Guess someone came in who knew how to re-set the routers. More and more this is becoming an issue at these economy motels. They used to have a breakfast room, now it's in the lobby, very skimpy but better than nothing. I was out of toothpaste so I went to the front desk for a complimentary pack; the clerk (I suspect she's a member of the owner's family) was totally unfriendly then and at checkout. Overall an OK stay except for the internet issue and I had a good rate. If you just need a clean comfortable place to put your head for one night this should do just fine.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rocknrun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Red Roof Inn Staunton
Howard Johnson Express Inn Staunton
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#4 of 15 in Staunton

Been to Motel 6 Staunton? Share your experiences!