“MANAGER WAS NOT FRIENDLY, POOL WAS FILTHY, ROOM WAS VERY CLEAN”
Review of Motel 6 Staunton

Motel 6 Staunton
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed 9 October 2010

The manager was not friendly at all. Upon check-in, he also overcharged me for rollaway bed.After a 6 hr drive in hot summer, I was anxious for kids to jump in pool and have some fun and exercise. Pool was filthy with bugs flying around, and filter was not pumping water in pool. Kids refused to get in pool, When we went to eat breakfast next morning, there was no coffee, Finally got coffee about 20 minutes later, after we had eaten . Front desk person in am was also not friendly, with no personality, and was not dresssed appropiately for the front desk. I'm not sure who he was, but he corrected the problem and apologized for mistake on bill, and after waiting 20 minutes, I finally got my refund and left.,

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2010

This was one of the best hotels I have been in. Very spacious and clean. The carpet had just been cleaned. Nice pool and a big plus for me was a laundry room. Full complimentary breakfast. Perfect location and very nice and helpful staff. The value was grat only paid $40 a night for a room with two double beds. Two adults. Definately will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Wendy1974
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I usually don't stay at places that are not rated by AAA but decided to take a chance on this place since the $:value rating on TripAdvisor seemed to be okay. I personally liked the location. There are two exits around which the "highway" motels in Staunton are clustered; this hotel is located at the more remote exit (the next exit up on 81) and was the quieter of the two areas. There are 3 hotels at this exit and nothing else but open land. If you get a room on the back side of the hotel your view is across a wide open field to a small hill - no other buildings in site - and the noise of the freeway is minimal. The room had good amenities - refrigerator, microwave, luggage rack, sofa, desk - but everything just looked tired. My two biggest facilities issues were that the safety latch on the door was broken off so it would not have done its job and the finish on the tub was worn off or peeling in several areas. I also had an issue with their dog policy. The website and the reservation confirmation I received from Choice Hotels said the fee was $10 per night (in most places we have stayed including the hotel the night before that meant $10 for any number of pets); when we arrived we were told the fee was $10 per dog per night. Not too big of a deal but the attitude of the management when I pointed out the difference was less than hospitable. We also discovered that they will not let you leave the dogs in the room even if they are crated. So, we ended up having to take our meals either in the hotel room or outside and were only able to observe the outside of the sites in Staunton. We asked for restaurants which would allow dogs on the patio but nobody was able to identify any. We looked for places to board the dogs for the day while we visited some of the sites but discovered there were no convenient options in the Staunton area. Overall, our experience was that Staunton was not a very dog-friendly town despite how well-behaved we have trained our dogs to be.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Not much as far as curb appeal when we arrived. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was more than expected. But the room came with a tub that had paint peeling really bad and looked disgusting. The room was okay for sleeping and a one night stop for sleep. Would recommend if the bathroom was nicer - get what you pay for....

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Yes, it's by the freeway, but there are hills that muffle the noise, so it's amazingly quiet. The rooms are clean for the most part, (our tub was a little grey from age and use) but it was tolerable. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast selection was more than adequate (bacon, eggs, bagels, pastry, oatmeal, juice, coffee) The staff was EXTREMELY courteous and helpful. The pool is clean and inviting. AND the price couldn't be better for what you get. All in all this is more than enough for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The Quality Inn Staunton, as others have pointed out, does not look like it would be a good place to stay based on outward appearances. It's clearly ex-Holiday Inn with exterior maintenance more or less on hold for some time now. Paint is peeling, the concrete walkways are not attractive, and it looks like it needed a power-washing some time ago. I would have preferred a newer hotel, but this one was one of the few I-81 corridor hotels available on a graduation weekend without exorbitant rates.

The older woman at check in was very friendly and allowed us to check in at just after noon - a plus since we were tired from nearly 17 hours of straight driving. The outside deflated our expectations, so we were actually pleasantly surprised with our room. The room was clean and nicely decorated, though the carpeting still needs to be replaced. The bathroom could use a freshening as well (the tub unit was especially scratched up and worn), but it did provide excellent shower pressure - better than at our house, in fact.

The beds in room 123 were quite comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. The hotel's location is a double edged sword - surrounded by fields, there's no place to eat at that exit (225) and we ended up eating at the Cracker Barrel off exit 222. However, the secluded location made for a very quiet stay and we slept with little disturbance. Breakfast in the morning was also good and included eggs and bacon.

Our rate was $63.99 plus tax. Is it a good deal? Considering the prices of other area hotels this weekend and the fact that we did have a good night's sleep, it is. However, in the past year, I've stayed in a brand new Drury Inn near Charlotte, NC for the same rate, and my three night stay at the Quality Suites of Pineville, NC also came out to $63 a night with a "three nights for two" special, so it isn't the best $63 room out there.

With that said, if you need a clean, quiet, and inexpensive place to stay for a night or two off of I-81, look past the dilapidated exterior and give the Quality Inn Staunton a try.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Make no mistake, this place is tired. As a previous reviewer mentioned, it's the old 70's style Holiday Inn type where the buildings surround a pool (which I can't rate since it was winter). Rooms are quite large. However, the bathrooms were incredibly worn, and the fixtures/ceiling were old and chipping as mentioned earlier. I didn't find the room or bathroom to be dirty at all. Not spotless, but acceptably clean.

I liked the bed linens/duvet cover/pillows.

There was a problem with the heater, where the thermostat dial (Room 125) wouldn't work. Therefore, it was either on (blowing out warm air) or off. And getting up multiple times during the night, either sweating or freezing to turn it on or off was hard. I did bring this to the attention of the front desk in the morning, and I am sure they will take care of it.

Also note that the room we stayed in (125) is right next to a stairwell, which you can hear quite clearly when someone goes up or down. If this bothers you, I'd request a room that's not next to stairs.

Breakfast was nice, and they had it out promptly by 5:30 (advertised at 6) which was good for us since we needed an early start.

I give them an above average rating due to the quality/level of service. Value is good compared to rates of competing hotels in the Staunton area. With a bathroom renovation and new carpet, this place would be great.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Red Roof Inn Staunton
#3 of 15 in Staunton
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#5 of 15 in Staunton

Been to Motel 6 Staunton? Share your experiences!