“friendly atmosphere,excellent food!!”

Ranked #10 of 12 Staunton B&B and Inns
Hanover,Va.
“friendly atmosphere,excellent food!!”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our room ( #1) was very nice and was ready when we arrived about noon. Greeted and shown to our room. The cook had just made some Thai fish cakes, so we had those and some chicken strips that my wife thought were outstanding! The fish cakes were excellent as well. The next am we had a Thai breakfast prepared by Ubon that was interesting and tasty. This was our first experience with Thai food and we thoroughly enjoyed both the meals and the hospitality afforded us at the inn. We'll be back soon!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hank357

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Yamhill County Oregon
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We are staying here right now - 2 couples. We were driving near Staunton so I looked on Trip Advisor on my cell phone, and this is the only B&B that came up as available. We got here about 7:30 pm. Parked the car in front, walked up the front stairs, and walked right in the front door. No sign of anyone, but the lights were all on and many tables set. So we went next door to the restaurant where there was one waiter/cook, and one elderly man pouring water and helping to wait on people. We asked if there were 2 rooms available, and the waiter/cook, while trying to wait on the one table of customers in the restaurant, called the owner and let me talk to him. He said there were rooms available, gave me the room numbers and the cost, and said the waiter/cook could take care of it. He figured out the cost, had to call the owner again to figure out how to run the credit card, took us up to show us the rooms, which looked nice.
Then we went to use the bathroom, lifted up the toilet seat, and saw why it was down. Dark, dirty, and plugged. So I went back to the restaurant, waited a long time for him to come out of the kitchen, explained the situation, and he then gave us another room, which is supposedly a nicer room. It is nice, but strange. No bedside tables, which is very inconvenient, as there are no bedside lamps either, and the bed is high, so setting books, tissue, etc. on the floor is uncomfortable. TV only has sports channels. Very loud air conditioner.
I think we caught them off guard and they weren't prepared for guests, but I think they should have told us they didn't have rooms instead of piecing it together for us. The place seems empty. We had to lock the back door. Maybe they are setting up for a wedding on the weekend or something? Maybe owners are out of town? I think the waiter/cook and the elderly helper are relatives? They are very nice and trying to be helpful, but don't really know what to do. Anyway, a very odd experience and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have reservations.
I hate to leave a bad review like this when the others are so glowing, because I'm sure our experience is not the norm. But it is our experience and it is weird.
No breakfast either, so this is NOT a bed and breakfast. Just a bed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Calor

Travellers are raving about these Staunton hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Ubon has an awesome personality and this inn is beautiful and comfortable. We arrived kind of late in the evening and were welcomed and made to feel at home. The house was built maybe in the 1870s and is sturdy and historically interesting. Downstairs there is a mix of Thai and southern decor. The inn is owned by a very nice family and I strongly recommend this as a place to stay in travels through Virginia. In the room where we are staying there is furniture from Dan's great-grandfather. As a guest here you will be a visitor in their home, but with enough privacy to feel comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank P G
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I'm not sure which is better, the Thai restaurant or the inn. The building is a beautiful 160 year old house, which has been well preserved. The rooms are great... you can expect to have a clawfoot bath tub, wireless internet, and satellite TV.

The food at Ubon is literally the best Thai food I've ever had, and I have eaten at many Thai restaurants. Ubon takes care to make all of the food from scratch, and does not use msg.

Ubon is so warm and friendly. She has a great personality and made us feel welcome instantly.

Guests have the option of either a Thai breakfast or American breakfast. Truly a unique experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful, romantic 1-night stay here for our anniversary. We were greeted by one of the owners, Dan, who was super nice! :) He gave us a tour of the Inn, as well as the restaurant, and brought our luggage up to our room. We stayed in room #7, which is a lovely room with its own bathroom. My favorite part was the old-fashioned clawfoot bathtub in which I indulged in 2 bubble baths during our stay! ;) The bed was comfortable, too (sheets smelled SO good!!), and having cable TV was great. I would describe the decor of this Inn as fun, funky, and eclectic- just our style! In my opinion, it is very clean. If you are super picky about minor things like a little bit of wallpaper peeling, or a teeny tiny bit of dust, then perhaps a beautiful old Victorian Inn is not the place for you.

The Restaurant portion of the Inn was absolutely fantastic! The food is prepared to order, just as spicy as you would like it. The service is great too, Gail really went out of her way to make sure everything was just perfect. We had the pleasure of speaking with the other owner, Ubon, too- she is just as sweet as can be and treated us like family. They prepared the most delicious soup I have ever eaten for us for breakfast on Sunday morning… and they don't even normally do breakfast there! They were also very attentive to my vegetarian needs.

Overall, this is a wonderful gem of a place to stay for a getaway, and we will definitely be back! :)

• Stayed September 2012
Orange, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This past April my boyfriend and I were driving across the country headed to our new home in Texas! Having a love for Thai food, we made sure to seek out Thai restaurants on our journey. After an extremely long day of driving, we were very hungry and after an google search we found Ubon Thai. The plan was to grab a bite to- go and head back to the hotel, I must say I'm go glad it didn't happen that way!
As soon as we walked in the door we felt like family. The owner was there to greet us at the door and she wanted to know all about us! We took a tour of the beautiful victorian hotel which was connected to the restaurant while she prepared our meal. She told us of her family and her amazing journey in obtaining the restaurant and hotel. She was such a delight to sit and talk with! But wait, how could I forget the food!
This was by far the best Thai food I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It's been two months since we had it and I still can't wait to head back for more! Every dish had a unique flavor which was bold and wonderful (much like it's creator). Seeing how much we enjoyed it, she had us sample different dishes and told us about how they were made. Additionally, a friend from town came in and joined our little group. He explained how it is the best food in the area which we didn't doubt.

If you're in the area and enjoy Thai, it would be a crime to your taste-buds to miss this place. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends