“Fab breakfast, great hosts, beautiful house”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staunton
Artist's House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 12 Staunton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a night at the Artist's House last weekend, and had a really great time. Our room was lovely and characterful, including a very retro bath, and the world's highest bed. Sharon and Alan were chatty, helpful and interesting hosts - they recommended us a great hike in the national park, as well as some books to read. Breakfast was amazing, freshly baked strudel and spanikopita in a lovely setting. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank H K
There are newer reviews for Artist's House Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had the opportunity to go to a wedding in Staunton this past weekend, and had chosen the Artists's House Bed & Breakfast in Staunton for my father and I. This place surpassed all my expectations (and I work in the resort industry!). They had a kind of suite area upstairs in the house that consisted of an entire hallway off of which is a bathroom and two different bedrooms (and you get a key to the hallway door, so the whole area was ours). The price was incredibly reasonable, and the rooms were spacious, quaint, charming, clean and relaxing, and the layout worked perfectly for my Dad and I. They even have a separate smaller lovely studio cottage apartment on the ground level, separate from the house, that could sleep 4 (1 bedroom, and a trundle in the living room) and a child on the living room couch, with a kitchen. Oh, and there's parking on the property right in front of the house.

The breakfast in the morning was absolutely wonderful with fresh items every morning (the fruit salad was so delicious!), such as fresh apple pastries and fresh sticky buns, mini Greek spinach pies, wonderfully rich coffee, assorted juices (the cranberry was real cranberry juice!), the most delicious fresh homemade grits I have ever had, etc etc. They are completely creative each day about what they will serve - you never know what delights you will get. What a treat! And Sharon often packed us a couple yogurts and scones to take with us - so thoughtful!

Meeting the people staying at the B&B was equally fascinating - all had interesting stories to tell. The place just invites connection...

The house is well appointed and comfortable, the dining area had some tables next to a window with trees and birdfeeders and lovely birds for a view. I should mention that the house is filled with Sharon's wonderful oil paintings of the local area, and her botanicals of local plant life. There is such a spirit to the oils that comes through, a real energy, and the botanicals are so beautifully executed. They have a room upstairs where, if you wish to, you can peruse through various artworks and purchase them. (I succumbed!) This was a great memory to have of our trip as these artworks are so connected to the Shenandoah Valley.

And, not least, Sharon and her husband were so gracious, and wonderful to talk to, solicitous about our needs, and helpful with anything we required. They are truly what makes this place a gem!

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I recommend the "suite" area I described. If a person has trouble climbing stairs, however...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank AisQ
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at the Artist's House for an anniversary getaway this past weekend. It was our first visit but it certainly won't be our last.

We arrived on Friday night an hour later than planned. Sharon, the owner/inkeeper, waited around to greet us, show us around the B&B, and give us some late-night downtown Staunton suggestions (we've been to some places that would just leave a key and a note). She also was happy to let us use the kitchen's fridge / freezer to keep drinks and ice packs cold.

The B&B itself was actually the owners' home at one time, so it has been meticulously restored and maintained throughout (and as of 9/8 it is for sale for anyone who's interested...we would actually consider it ourselves if we lived closer). It's very nicely appointed in arts & craft-style decor (a more authentic version of today's 'craftsman' style houses) which includes dozens of Sharon's own paintings. There are four rooms / suites to choose from; we stayed in the Spruce View Suite but on Saturday Sharon gave us a tour of the other rooms and the guest house behind the main house.

Sharon had left a plate of cookies and chocolates for us, which was a nice touch. Our suite was very clean and the furniture appeared to be mostly antique. The sleigh bed was very comfortable and the bathroom has a walk-in shower (no tub) that includes waist-level jets. I believe the other two rooms in the house have tubs with hand-held shower hoses (don't remember the guest house but I think it also had a shower).

Breakfast on Saturday morning consisted of a fresh fruit salad, bagels, english muffins, jelly, yogurt, granola, coffee, and orange juice - and probably a few things I'm forgetting - most of it organic and with gluten-free options if we wanted them. Sunday included yellow cheese grits and apple struessel and we also got to meet Sharon's husband, Alan. Sharon gave us some day trip pointers and restaurant suggestions on both mornings, then we departed to spend the days exploring the area's various vineyards and breweries.

Sharon and Alan are running a very warm, friendly, and affordable B&B experience. I can't over-state how nice our stay was, other than to say I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to spend a few nights in historic Staunton, VA.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask Sharon if your room / suite comes with a tub or a shower and plan accordingly if that...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have stayed at Sharon's B and B twice. The home is so lovely, with all her beautiful artwork and her fantastic breakfasts! The rooms are spacious, immaculate, private, and very comfortable. The location is perfect for anywhere you want to go in Staunton. I will stay there again when I visit Staunton. Love the cookies and chocolate she leaves in the rooms!

Susan Aronson

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Artist's House for a delayed anniversary weekend getaway in Staunton this weekend. My positive experience with the bed and breakfast began in July, when we had to reschedule our stay at the last minute due to a family emergency. Sharon was extremely understanding and so kindly let us find another weekend rather than charging for the weekend we cancelled. We arrived with a warm welcome on Saturday morning to the beautiful property and were given plenty of recommendations of things to see and do for our day in Staunton. As a young couple on a budget, we stayed in the East Garden Room, the least expensive room at $85.00/night. I was expecting something WAY smaller and unimpressive for the lowest price! The room was rather large with a private bathroom (no shower, just an antique tub, which Sharon made sure we were aware of before booking!) and an extremely comfortable queen sized bed. It was at the end of the hall which didn't share any walls with the other guest rooms, which made for a very quiet night's sleep! Breakfast was a DELICIOUS home cooked meal, complete with apple strudel, homemade scones, potatoes, coffee, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit....amazing! We absolutely loved talking to Sharon and her husband as well as the other guests while we enjoyed our breakfast. The only bummer about our stay was that it was only for one night! We definitely hope to come back to Staunton in the future and stay at this wonderful property again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda B
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed at The Artist's House B and B in October on our way through to Charlotte and had a lovely stay! Sharon was very accommodating, the room was extremely comfortable. We also enjoyed perusing the house and her beautiful artwork. We will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Just stayed for the weekend for a mother daughter time at this wonderful B&B. Hostess was extremely welcoming and full of good information about the area. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in this beautiful home. The breakfast was delicious with plenty of healthy fresh choices. The atmosphere in the home was so relaxed. The price was very reasonable as well.

Room Tip: We stayed in the front bedroom and enjoyed a wonderful bath. The house is set back from the road so...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family