“Loved it !! will not disappoint”

American Shakespeare Center
Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Staunton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Blackfriars Playhouse is the world's only re-creation of Shakespeare's indoor theatre. "Stunning", says Frommer's. Located in historic downtown Staunton, VA, this 300-seat Renaissance theatre offers productions of Shakespeare and classic plays year round that the Washington Post says are "shamelessly entertaining" and the Boston Globe says are "phenomenal...bursting with energy”.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Loved it !! will not disappoint”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Saw Macbeth. I have never read Shakespeare, but thought this would be a unique experience. I was very glad we went. I loved it.

Since this is a original representation of the works of Shakespeare, the language can be difficult to understand, some actors are easier to understand then others. I honestly found myself lost at times. BUT... the actors portrayed their parts so well that I still was able to figure out what was going on. I would highly recommend that you read about the play and understand the plot before you see it, I think it would greatly enhance the experience.

The actors were professionals and they were awesome, and you can tell they LOVE what they do. All the actors were great but, Patrick Midgley was my favorite, loved his expressions, and enthusiasm.

The playhouse is beautiful and really added to the experience. I would recommend seats down stairs or on the far end of the playhouse upstairs. Sitting on the sides upstairs will block part of the stage. Also the 2nd row upstairs on the far end does not have backs, instead I would choose the 3rd row if this is your only choice.

The play was about 2 hours long.

1 Thank Jeff R

Carlingford, Australia
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Fabulous show”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We saw Macbeth, the cast was very good, with a real enthusiasm for their craft. The whole experience was fabulous theatre.

Virginia Beach
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“See a play”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

These actors are terrific. They interact and care about their audiences. They have the ability to leave you laughing or on the verge of tears.

The theater is great.mEvery seat is a good one. My wife has back troubles and so we sit in the Lord's Chairs.

Tickets are easily obtainable and the prices are very reasonable.A great experience!

Visited July 2014
Jeffersonton, VA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“wonderful!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

It was our first time and we hope to attend other events there. Macbeth was so well done, I felt as if were in England watching it with the locals.

Charleston, WV
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Superb experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The production of Macbeth was superior. The cast was talented, energetic, and forceful. Well worth the price of a ticket. The theater itself was a wonderful reproduction of the Globe.