“Nice campground with good ammenities”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staunton
Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My family which included a 5 year had a nice time at this camp ground. We stayed in a deluxe cabin which was nicer than expected. It was clean, and with the loft for my sons sleeping quarters and toys there was plenty of room. Partial kitchen was stocked with dishes and pans but lacked things like measuring cup and mixing bowls. Nice amenities with pool, playground and fishing, Might be nice to have a miniature golf course in the future. We really enjoyed Candy bingo and the duck race. My son also enjoyed the craft hour and hay rides. The staff is very friendly and made you feel welcome. It was a nice relaxing weekend and we would definitely stay there again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Joy - We're so glad you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us! We try hard to plan fun activities and keep our facilities clean and well-maintained and are pleased that you found them overall satisfactory. I will mention the lack of measuring utensils to our head of housekeeping - this was something we hadn't considered! Thanks for your feedback. :)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Well, I should have heeded the advice of a previous review re: "POOR Customer Service". My daughter and I just got done hiking the AT and thought a night in a "real" campground w/ amenities would be fun. We were on the road and called at 8:30 p.m. and were told if we registered by 9:00 the rate would be $20, but there would be a price increase (>$30) if we arrived later and registered in the morning. I drove quickly to the campground, arriving at 8:54...whew! Well, the office lights were off and it looked like a Mom and daughter were counting the register money. We tapped on the door and THEY TOTALLY IGNORED US, BUT FOR A BRIEF GLANCE UP AND A SMIRK! Really???? Of course they knew a customer was coming, as I had just phoned, but they clearly didn't care! I tried calling (while standing at the glass door looking at them), and they also ignored the call! Really??? They obviously don't care about their potential customers. I honestly wish they would have forewarned me they were jerks, so I could have at least avoided the 30 minute round trip drive from and to the hwy! We ended up staying at the Comfort Inn just up the road in Winchester and were treated with politeness and respect. If you want to avoid a spoiled camping trip by jerky owners that don't care about customer service, then steer clear of the Walnut HIlls KOA. It's really too bad, because it looked like a beautiful campground. I can only anticipate they may respond stating I pulled in later than 9, but believe me, my cell phone is accurate and they just wanted to make their nasty point!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank capec0dsplash
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

I am so sorry about the experience you had recently attempting to camp with us. Unfortunately, we cannot stay open to wait for every single person who calls to say they are on their way, as many people are merely price-shopping and never show up. That said, the office should be open and the staff available to campers until our posted closing time (currently 9pm on weekends) and I have both spoken with our front desk staff and shown them your review as a reminder that closing even five minutes early is not acceptable. Thank you for your feedback, and I hope your stay at the Comfort Inn was pleasant.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at this KOA when our son graduated from JMU. We stayed in the larger cabin and was absolutely impressed with how clean it was, how we'll stocked it was, and very, very comfortable. This was a much better stay than going to a nearby hotel! All the comforts of home and very peaceful and quite. The folks who run the campground always had smiling faces and were very helpful. We highly recommend this KOA!

Room Tip: Make your reservations in advance.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa K
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Lisa - I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. I know we're not super-convenient to JMU, but I hope the cabin itself helped to make up for that!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I recently spent 3 nights at the Staunton / Walnut Hills Va KOA with a group of friends and wanted to share my experience. The campground and facilities are clean and well kept. The surrounding area and the city of Staunton are absolutely gorgeous. I had such a great time that I was already planning my next trip to the campground next year (we take a guy’s trip every Spring and have for the past 15 years).
Let me preface this account by saying that this is a family run facility. The parents and their daughters all work there. One daughter is the Manager; the mother is the “Head of Housekeeping”. The father serves in some capacity as well. The additional staff is courteous and very friendly.
My experience turned from great to awful on the way home from our trip. We cleaned the cabin, did the dishes, swept etc. and then checked out at the office.
On the ride home, I receive a voice mail and an email from the manager Erika (the daughter) stating that “it looks like we may have accidentally packed away two of their blankets on our way out”. I immediately called her back and assured her that we did not have her blankets and this must be some mistake.
I explained that when we arrived, we noticed that neither bunk bed had blankets on them, but we didn't think to say anything…all but one of us brought our own bedding (sleeping bags and pillows) so no one felt the need to ask for blankets that we didn't need.. She said she would check with the Head of Housekeeping (her mother) and get back to me.
So now it is basically my word against her Mothers. I’ll bet you’ll never guess whom she believed? She called back and stated that the blankets were there when we checked in and that we would be charged to replace them ($45).
I immediately pulled my vehicle over immediately and shot a time stamped video of me unpacking my whole entire vehicle, bag by bag to prove that I didn't steal their blankets.
We exchanged numerous emails involving my friends and I trying to reason with them, but in the end, they charged me $45 for two blankets that I didn’t take (they were never in the cabin). I explained that I understood with the business that they are in, they have to protect themselves from people stealing their items, but this wasn’t one of those times. They wouldn't hear my side at all. CASE CLOSED.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that if I had the blankets, I would send them back and avoid being charged…I was given an “out” to do so?
What is more likely, that a group of 40 something year old men stole two blankets, deny it and then vehemently tries to defend themselves…or that someone made a mistake at their job (the mother)?
I am now stuck trying to reverse the charge on my Visa card. I have spent WAAAY more of my own time on this than the $45 is worth to me. I should just move on, but it is the principle of the matter.
The most frustrating aspect of the whole situation is how absolutely unreasonable this family is. They are the judge and jury, meanwhile their customer has no recourse (KOA Corporate has never returned my phone call concerning this). They are willing to jeopardize a mutually beneficial relationship over two blankets…which I don’t and never did have. They may own a business, but their customer service is very lacking. I also want to clarify that I don’t feel that this is done intentionally on their part. I genuinely believe they think I took the blankets, which is their right, but common sense would dictate that I wouldn't be wasting all the time and effort to defend myself if I did indeed take them.
PLEASE BE FOREWARNED, if my experience hasn't dissuaded you from staying there, please take video and pictures of your cabin the minute you get there. Do a physical inventory of blankets, towels etc. and provide this to them. I don’t want anyone to allow them to do this again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Chase S
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

As I have said in response to your emails, on the phone, and in response to this review posted in other places, I feel that your party and our business have come to an impasse. I am very sorry that this situation has gotten so negative, but unfortunately I do not feel that we can provide you with the type of resolution you seek. However, we are going to implement your advice to avoid this situation in the future and leave a sheet in each cabin with a list of what should be found there and asking guests to call the office if they do not find these items in the unit. We were (and still are) surprised that your party didn't let us know that you required more blankets during the course of your stay with us. We wish the best to you and your party in camping at another of Virginia's lovely campgrounds.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Nice quiet KOA that is far enough away from interstate to be generally free of road noise. We always try to get one of the full hookup back in sites on the small lake that is the centerpiece of this campground. You can sit in your camp and feed the ducks and just relax. One of our regular stops.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2_WV_Retired
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thanks so much for the kind review! We love our lakefront sites too, and hope to see you back on one soon!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Reserved a site here to stop as a layover on the way home from camping in S.C. I haven't stayed at a KOA in a long time, but I may have to start giving them a chance again. This KOA was very well maintained, clean, friendly, and up to date. We were coming in late and we got a call when on the road asking if it was OK if they moved us from the site we reserved online to a different one. Apparently the one we picked was a bit tough getting into in the dark and the manager or owner was concerned for us. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we were given two sites for the same price instead. Easy pull through with nice, level gravel sites. It was perfect for us to stretch out since we had two vehicles. Yes, it caters more to bigger RV and travel trailers...and maybe I'd have been annoyed if it was the middle of summer. In fact, it wasn't and it was pretty quiet. Even with a few larger rigs around us we weren't bothered...probably since it was cold and we all had heat running and windows shut. Each site where we were had cement pads with Adirondak chairs or swings, raised metal fire pits, a propane grill with a full tank (yes....I said a grill with a tank), full hook-ups, and cable. The bathrooms look like they had been recently redone and were clean and bright. They even smelled like bleach and cleaner when I went in around 11pm. It was a refreshing change from the state park I'd just left, which was pretty dirty. There were laundry facilities on site as well, which I'd have taken advantage of if time had allowed. Around 11am a man in a truck pulled up and asked if we had garbage he could take for us. Yup....garbage pick up every morning right at your rig. WOW!!! It's VERY obvious to me that this KOA is trying hard to remain above par. I think they're doing well, and I'd come again. Having said that.....if you're looking for secluded 'State Park' style sites, you may be disappointed in the open atmosphere. Even so, the sky was beautiful at night to stare at the stars and the morning sun revealed nice rolling hills for a daytime view. I only gave 4 stars due to the lack of wooded sites, but in reality it's more preference I suppose. These guys do a nice job all around. Our kids (Age 7 thru 13) want to come back. If I'm passing through again I'll certainly look at stopping.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rhoke
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Rhoke, thanks so much for your thoughtful review! We work very hard to please our guests and are delighted that you and your family were happy with your site. We hope to see you at our park again for a longer stay in the future.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

It's been a while since I visited, but I finally told myself I needed to leave a review. Firstly, the campground was absolutely gorgeous and very well maintained. We looked around in the area, and it was by far the most beautiful.

My young children (under 8) begged me to take them tent camping for months, and I finally caved. My main concern was how loud they would be. I didn't want to disrupt any neighbors, so I tried to find a campground with a site that was more private. Our primitive tent site was more than I could have asked for. It was down a hill and back in the woods, nestled between two creeks. We felt like we were all alone back there. It was very quiet and all we could hear was the water.

The owners and staff are super amazing too. During our stay, they were very accommodating, and always smiled and waved when they saw us. When I got home, I wrote an e-mail telling them how much we loved our stay and what I would like to see improved some. They promptly responded, thanking me for my feedback and explaining what they would like to do in the future. They even welcomed me to e-mail or call back for updates.

We went in the off season, so I cannot say what it's like when there are many people there. We will be returning as soon as it warms up this year though!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank C G
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

C G, I'm so delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! You were in one of our best tent sites, and I sincerely hope we'll see you there again in the future.