“Superb!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Staunton, Virginia
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have had countless dinners at AVA and they've all been excellent. Everything I've ordered has tasted wonderful, the presentations are always beautiful, and the portions are perfect. The servers are friendly and the kitchen staff goes out of its way to accommodate requested substitutions. AVA specializes in wine and I'm always pleased with the selection. I recommend this marvelous restaurant without hesitation and urge those in town to opt for this spot in Staunton to dine or just to enjoy a drink.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Fried chicken and waffles were great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

The food was fabulous. The chicken was tense and juicy. One of the really nice things was they allowed us to substitute on several items so we got exactly the meal we wanted. It is a wine bar and we don't drink so I can't comment on that.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank J K
Staunton, Virginia
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We decided to try AVA based on decent online reviews and word of mouth. We left wondering how anyone could recommend it among all of the other better choices in staunton! The food was lacking in taste, quality, and presentation, especially for the price. The appetizer and salads were palatable but unremarkable. The filet mignon entree was horrible -- extremely undercooked and tough with overly salty sides. Perhaps it was our oversight to order a steak in a largely vegan/vegetarian restaurant. Nonetheless, this place is nothing of what most would seek in a "wine bar."

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank NAT18214
Fairfax, Virginia
“Wish it were better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Great wine list. Terrific appetizers. But service is mediocre at best. Server didn't mention cheese on entree & since I'm VERY allergic (as in go to the ER) I was paying attention. He wasn't particularly helpful when it arrived that way. Sides tend to be cold. Had to ask for my second glass of wine twice. My husband sat with an empty glass of wine through most of his meal. Go try the neat wines, get an appetizer & go somewhere else for dinner.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jackie b
harrisonburg, va
“Wish we could give it another chance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Have you ever been asked what you wish to order before a chance to order a drink? This is how our evening began.
The price of the filet should have alerted me to its size. The smallest portion I've ever ordered. No wonder it was impossible to have it medium cooked; it came well done. Sides were missing from order. One entree was totally wrong. All in all a bad experience! Atmosphere is grand with seating arrangements but afraid we will not return.

• Visited November 2013