“Great Mom & Pop Restaurant”

Hometown Grill and Buffet
Ranked #31 of 140 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Home cooked food served on the Buffet and from the menu. Try our HOT Breakfast Buffet to start your day, take a break from work and stop in for our Lunch Buffet and enjoy our Dinner Buffet after a hard day at work!
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I got in after the lunch rush and before the dinner rush, I was the only person in the place. The waitresses were in the dining room cleaning tables, chairs, and booths, that's a good thing. I like a clean dining room in a restaurant.
I usually do not get the buffet due to most buffets are nasty. I looked over the buffet and decided that it was edible. The food looked appealing and it was very good. The fried chicken was especially good. Several items in the buffet were homemade recipes which were brought into the restaurant.
The waitress was friendly, the value was very good. I would definitely go back and eat there again and I'm picky about where I eat.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Last Sunday (March 9) we hosted at 60th anniversary party for a family member in a back room of Hometown Grill & Buffet. We chose this venue to save party attendees from having to bring food to the party. All the guests seem to enjoy the buffet which consisted of breakfast items, salad bar, and general food bar. I had the breakfast bar and enjoyed 2 servings. The staff were very helpful in serving our 50 guests, and the room was offered free of charge. I highly recommend the Hometown G&B for events of this kind and just a nice place to eat anytime.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Ok, we arrived in Staunton as a stopping point on a long drive from Atlanta, GA to New York. The Hometown Grill and Buffet happened to be 1/4 mile from the Sleep Inn we stopped at for the night (separate review on hotel) and we got a 10% discount for showing our hotel key. It's a local grill and buffet joint that's pretty much a hole in the wall type of place. The food is not spectacular but for two very tired folks who had been driving all day, it hit the spot.

First off let me say that Calvin was a most pleasant host for the dinner. Friendly service you'd expect from a southern, down-home joint.

We did not arrive until after 8:30pm so the hot food had probably been sitting out on the buffet for a while. Some of it was somewhat dry, but sauces did help with that. The fried fish was flaky and not bad, especially with the tartar sauce. I thought I would be "healthier" by opting for the roasted chicken over the fried chicken, but honestly the fried chicken was the best thing on the buffet along with the mashed potatoes.

The salad bar was decent and fresh and certainly a healthier option. My wife being a vegetarian, there was really nothing on the buffet other than the salad so she had them make their Spaghetti dish with just the tomato sauce, which also came with the salad buffet. She was pleasantly surprised that the pasta was not overcooked.

So this is not a four star restaurant nor is it a Golden Corral but for two weary travelers, it was very convenient and it definitely hit the spot. The friendly service was definitely appreciated.

1  Thank biscardicreative
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I liked this restaurant when it was Shoney's, now that the Shrewsburys have become the new owners, everything has changed--FOR THE BEST. They still have a great breakfast buffet but it seems they have added more breakfast food and breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so when they take down the breakfast bar to prepare for lunch and dinner and I'm late getting there, I can still order breakfast from the menu. The food on the buffet bar is alot fresher now and doesn't taste like it's sit there all day. The rolls are soft and warm. The steaks on seafood and steak nights are fresh made to order and let me tell you: I don't eat steak but my boyfriend does and he says they are delicious and not dried out like they were when it was Shoney's. I love the seafood as well, the stuffed crab shells and the small deep fried shrimp are my favorite but they have something for everyone's taste-even oysters. The salad is not wilted and the macaroni salad has got to be homemade because I can eat a bowl full of it. And the wait staff is so friendly and check on you often-your glass never gets empty that's for sure. Heather and Calvin are my favorite to have wait on us. I must say this is a great place to eat. We don't have to decide where we're going when we go out to eat, we know where we're going--HOMETOWN GRILL & BUFFET....Thanks Belinda and Darold for opening a great family place to relax and enjoy our meals...and thanks for the country music.

1  Thank Judy B
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Hometown Grille & Buffet has excellent food and outstanding services! I would highly recommended this place to anyone who is new to the area or just traveling through!