“Excellent - Why Not??? I think so!!!”

Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Staunton
Reviewed 13 March 2014

An excellent rating? Well yes, anyone can find something wrong and the sharper your eye for failure the quicker you will write your negative review. I try to stay positive, but have posted some negative reviews when I just had to. The Stonewall Jackson Hotel is Excellent. I have stayed a few times over the last five years. I am a budget traveler and usually stay at the HoJo down the street for $60 a night. When I find a deal at the Stonewall I stay when in town for Shakespeare at the American Shakespeare Center, steps away from the hotel. This visit my stay averaged $100 a night and I had a gift certificate. I got an email the other day from the hotel offering an $85 a night deal. The usual rate is beyond my wallet. Now you know me and my expectations. The hotel itself: I love the history and use of an historic and renovated building. I have only stayed in the old section and I cannot tell that it is old. My room was very clean and very comfortable. Bed was perfect. I only stayed 2 nights and asked for no housekeeping, a note under my door explained that I could get service before a certain time by calling and later in the day a bag with fresh towels was hanging from my door handle. The lobby is beautiful with a restaurant and bar (did not use). There is an elevator that takes you right to the parking garage which is connected to the building (I believe $4 a day). I traveled via Amtrak - the station is a few blocks from the hotel. The indoor swimming pool looked nice and the hot tub looked inviting, but I never made it. Also a fitness center. From the hotel you can walk to all your needs - entertainment - stages, screens, live music/Food - every meal can be found within 5 blocks with more options the more blocks you walk/Shopping - many stores downtown to browse and buy. For me, this place is excellent and all the luxury I need. For those who need someone to tuck them in at night this may not be worth 5 stars, but for your average American, this is an excellent hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We really enjoyed our trip while staying at The Stonewall Jackson. The hotel recently received a complete rehab which was pictured in the lobby area. It was very interesting to the transformation.The rooms were very nice and clean, a step up from your chain hotels. We enjoyed drinks at the bar by the fireplace, there were some good beers and wines available. The indoor pool and hot tub area was very nice. The pool was a bit cold for us but we enjoyed lounging in the hot tub. The staff was very helpful during out trip. Our only disappointment was that they did not have robes available to wear down to the pool area. The town of Stauton and the surrounding area is a fun town to poke around, we had a lot to do and were not bored. If we visit Stauton again we'll be back to the Stonewall!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have stayed here on multiple occasions in the past two years. This is the nicest hotel in Staunton and is within walking distance of many local restaurants. The staff is very nice and helpful and I would recommend to anyone for both business and personal travel.

My only complaint is the size of the rooms, which is very small.

They offer return visit discounts.

The parking is either included in some room packages or $4 per night. Very reasonable and appreciated since my last trip was during icy weather.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms on the corners.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and had a blast! The staff is so nice and the rooms are clean with comfortable beds. The location is excellent for Staunton visitors. I would certainly recommened this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I have enjoyed a number of romantic getaways around central Virginia. This was one of the best! The hotel is stylish, clean, comfortable and very well located close to some outstanding restaurant and entertainment options. It is right next door to the American Shakespeare Theatre. Even though it was cold, I did not bother with my coat for the 20 yard walk. We also very much enjoyed both the hotel food options and some top notch local restaurants like The Shack and Zynadoa. The Shack does not take reservations and you better be there by 5:15 pm if you want a seat before a show. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is different than Greenbrier, Homestead, or Keswick Hall in that it is not as rural. However, it has its own unique grandeur and, frankly, I liked it better because there was a variety of interesting shops and restaurants within a few blocks and the hotel staff provided top notch service. You get top notch service at the other places, too. My point is that we did not feel that we had stepped down in terms of service. We will be back!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view towards the west or south.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was the last night of a long trip as we were heading home from the deep south. We were tired and it was late afternoon when we arrived in Staunton for the first time. Well, downtown that is. We had stopped numerous times just outside of town for gas on our way to WV over the years but never ventured into downtown!

Anyway, we stopped at the Visitor's Center and were greeted by such a nice man who asked what we were looking for in a hotel and said while there were many choices, the Stonewall might suit us well. So we called and were able to book a beautiful room with a queen bed for a great price and the hotel was right around the corner! The room was lovely, the hospitality excellent, the bed very comfy, and parking was only $4.00 a night with the ability to leave and return using our room key! Perfect in every way.

From our hotel we walked to the Aioli Restaurant and had a fantastic dinner and did some window shopping on the walk back. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast in the hotel's lovely dining room and did some shopping at the great stores in town. We were able to do more in a short time there than so many other places! We will return to the Stonewall Jackson Hotel in the future and highly recommend it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Love this hotel! Can't wait to return with our kids and attend another play at Blackfriars! Loved walking downtown and visiting all the quaint shops. you must eat at The Clocktower and get the homemade potato chips!

• Stayed: February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Best Western Staunton Inn
Quality Inn & Suites
#6 of 14 in Staunton
Hampton Inn Waynesboro / Stuarts Draft
Howard Johnson Express Inn Staunton

Been to Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!