“A Great Treasure”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“A Great Treasure”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have been to Staunton many times just because of how quaint of a town it is. The Stonewall was very nice. It is right there where you are able to walk to everything. I don't think we even got in the car once the whole time we were there. The staff was great. The rooms are a little small but it is a historic building so it was a nice size for the age. The rooms were newly renovated and were nice and clean. I will definitely stay here the next time I visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Powhatan, Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife had a conference there at the first of April and I tagged along. The rooms were very clean and the service was outstanding. Now it wasn't cheap to stay or eat at the hotel however it was very clean and very attentive to your needs. I understand also whatever the conference needed they were provided with no problems. We were an hour late checking out due to a conference over run and instead of charging the extra parking fee they made sure they had a person in the garage taking our badges and card keys and not charged extra.
We are going back to see more of the town at the first of may.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff is nice, but the rooms are very small with paper thin walls. Disappointed by the lack of electrical outlets, but happy the room was clean. Great location if you want to be downtown since there are several restaurants in walking distance. Breakfast buffet was ok and reasonably priced. They do not grant any late check outs which is fine, but it would have been nice if they would have at least kept my suitcase for me and my coworkers for a few hours.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LoveFunTravels
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were very fortunate to book a night at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel en route to North Carolina. What a lovely, restored hotel! We were equally charmed by the beautiful town of Staunton with all of his historic offerings, including the birthplace of President Woodrow Wilson which is only a stone's throw from the hotel. Our room at the hotel was spacious and very clean. The lobby was well appointed and featured many photos and memorabilia from the hotel's past. Breakfast wasn't included, so we paid for a fairly typical, nothing special breakfast buffet at the hotel. Next time, we might try a local coffee shop instead. On site parking is additional without a hotel package. Overall, the hotel staff was friendly and courteous. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

1 Thank Naturelover212
Commack, New York
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I had driven through and around Staunton a couple of times in the past with the promise to myself that I would come back and stay. I was camping outside of town on a road-trip from New York, and had a night open later in the week with nowhere planned to stay. I drove into town and instantly loved everything I saw. Staunton is the quintessential restored, historical main street. I walked into the Stonewall Jackson (dressed in "camping clothes", and was still treated wonderfully) thinking that it would be out of my price range. It was a little high priced but not as extravagant as I thought it would be, and really was the best location in town. I had a basic, small room, but it was beautiful. Have to admit, I did not spend any time in the room, but the town itself is fantastic. I had a great buffet breakfast in the Hotel in the morning, and stayed around in town as long as I could. Stay more than a day if you can.

Room Tip: Find any discounts you can. Ask at the desk. The more we talked, the lower the rate got. If you d...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is our second trip to Staunton and we highly recommend the Stonewall Jackson. Beautiful restored hotel, spacious rooms, attentive staff, great breakfast! Very convenient to Blackfriars Playhouse, shopping and great restaurants ! Check out the packages with theatre and breakfast!
Convenient parking on site.

Three Lakes, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We got a fantastic deal on this hotel using priceline. Didn't know this is where we'd end up until after we purchased. The only catch is that they put us in a handicap accessible room, but that was no big deal to us. The room was very comfortable and the view was beautiful overlooking the historic downtown. Would love to stay again.