“Totally positive experience”

and 1 more site!
Frederick House
Ranked #3 of 12 Staunton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I was able to park 50 ft from my door, greeted by the delightful proprietors and two totally charming urchins who assisted the next morning at breakfast. My room was spotless, furnished with 50's era furniture but modern king size bed and, how rare is this, a great mattress! Modern shower but thin chamois like towels. They worked but were unusual. Wonderful five minute walk to restaurant. Good night's sleep and excellent coffee with fresh fruit and good breakfast choices. I will go back for sure.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 15 July 2014

By accident, Staunton was a drive-thru town. We were so pleasantly surprised, that we decided to stay a night the next time through. We stayed at the Frederick House. It is beautifully run, the owners are friendly, vivacious, informed and helpful. The room we booked has everything you need. The bed is very comfortable. The breakfast choices are delicious! Staunton is a great little town with loads to do. Visit the Visitors' Center for lots of info and super friendly staff. We recommend the American Shakespeare Center. We saw a comedy that was super fun. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

If I can give this a 3 and a half stars, I would. This was an average and pleasant stay for us. We stayed for one night in Patrick house, which is about a block and a half from the main house. Frederick House consists of a few houses, and ours is one where you can a key to the house and your room. It feels a little like an apartment building in a way.

The room was nice and big enough for us, and we don't really have any complains except for two things. We were provided with a shampoo/soap bar and it really doesn't work. I wish I have read previous reviews as I would have brought my own shampoo. I have long hair and it just doesn't work for me. It works for someone like my husband with a one-inch long hair but not me. I also dislike the shower curtain which has a tendency to stick to your body as you're showering in a tiny stall. I read in the reviews that someone else said this was an issue, and the owners said perhaps a round shower rod would work better. It would, but they have not change it.

The other reason why I gave this 3 stars is the breakfast. The breakfast was good and sufficient. It didn't wow us. We were given a mug of coffee and a tiny glass of orange juice. No one came to refill either even though it was very clear the way we placed the glasses that we would like more. It's just little things like this that makes this an average and not a great B&B. I would be very disappointed with the breakfast if we actually stayed in one of their more expensive rooms (over $200), but because we stayed in one of their cheaper rooms, we are okay with it.

Other than that, the owner (Joe) was nice enough, and they also have an ice-maker machine in the main house. If walking is an issue, make sure you don't stay in Patrick house, as it's an uphill climb from the main house. The weather was nice, and so we didn't have any issue. I can see this being a problem for older folks or if the weather is bad. The owners are great supporter of the playhouse, but I would suggest researching online first to see if you can get better priced tickets than the ones they offered.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs if you want more peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dizziey
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have lodged in the Frederick House several times within the past 3 years and have always found Joe and Evy to be willing to help with theater tix (Blackfriars), directions and advice in their wealth of information about Staunton and its history - they have been "movers and shakers" in the recent civic history of Staunton. They host and coordinate a beautifully run and beautifully-appointed B&B Complex in in the heart of town complete with as many say, a tremendous and scrumptious breakfast. Also a wonderful place to stay for musicians as the Staunton Music Festival convenes in August.
Gwen and Don Frazier - Manassas, VA

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We had spent tonight to the B&B in Appomattox and wanted to spend one more night in Staunton. When we were called the the hotel Joe was very friendly, and told us he had a room. As soon as we came, he asked if we wanted to go to the theater which we did, and he immediately booked us tickets. The room was extremely large and quiet, the play was great, and breakfast was very good too. Would definitely choose to come here again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sheila A
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Service is unerringly friendly and prompt. Rooms are lovely, comfortable and clean. Breakfast alone is worth the stay. Any time I am anywhere near Staunton (usually to visit Liberty Univ.) I choose the Frederick House.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If B&Bs can be judged by the owners, you won't find anyone any more accommodating that Mo and Joe at Frederick House in Staunton. Our room was spacious, with nice bathrooms and amenities. But what really impressed us was the civic-mindedness of this couple who have been active in this community and partially responsible for bringing Shakespeare plays to the town. Their skills at cooking, meeting and greeting, and sharing places to go all made the experience at this B&B one to remember.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple