“An amazing find for a first time B&B experience”
Review of Frederick House

Frederick House
Ranked #3 of 12 Staunton B&B and Inns
West Virginia
“An amazing find for a first time B&B experience”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I have wanted to stay in a Bed and Breakfast before, but never took the leap in doing so. We stumbled upon Frederick House and began looking at their accommodations and reviews. I am so glad that we chose to stay here. We stayed in Womack 18, which is a small room with a queen bed and private bathroom. We absolutely loved it! We were not in the room much as we had plans to explore the town, so the small room perfectly met our needs. The location of the room was also great as once we parked our car, we did not get back in it until we let to come home. Evy and Joe were amazing from the first point of contact. They assisted us with getting tickets to see Macbeth, along with a backstage tour of the theater, and always made sure that we had everything we needed. The breakfast is rather tasty. Both mornings we were greeted and served a good breakfast with fast service. During our stay I had the apple and raisin quiche and the waffle while my husband had fruit and yogurt and the strata.

I cannot express how much we enjoyed our time in Staunton and staying at Frederick House. We are already planning another trip to return in the very near future!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
JoeHarman, Owner at Frederick House, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your review that is so comprehensive. You reflect what we attempt to do for our guests. For a guest staying with us we recognize that it is more than the room. We try to assist you with all aspects of your visit to Staunton and the Shenandoah Valley by giving suggestions about how to enjoy this area. We are available to our guests at check-in and at breakfast each morning. We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were very pleased with our choice of Staunton as a holiday base in Virginia, and delighted with Frederick House and its friendly and helpful hosts, Evy & Joe.

The room we stayed in is large, comfortable, clean and well maintained, with a lovely terrace area to sit in. The furnishings are traditional and stylish, without being fussy, and there was plenty of storage space, a very comfortable bed and good sized bathroom.

Evy's home-made breakfasts are wonderful. She goes to a considerable amount of effort to make these healthy and delicious. Joe could not have done more to help us enjoy our stay, and his help with our daily plans was invaluable. All the staff are polite, efficient and friendly.

I really wouldn't hesitate to recommend Frederick House, and the lovely town of Staunton. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: The hotel has several annexes, our room was on the top floor of the building next to the main hotel...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I was able to park 50 ft from my door, greeted by the delightful proprietors and two totally charming urchins who assisted the next morning at breakfast. My room was spotless, furnished with 50's era furniture but modern king size bed and, how rare is this, a great mattress! Modern shower but thin chamois like towels. They worked but were unusual. Wonderful five minute walk to restaurant. Good night's sleep and excellent coffee with fresh fruit and good breakfast choices. I will go back for sure.

Stayed July 2014
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

By accident, Staunton was a drive-thru town. We were so pleasantly surprised, that we decided to stay a night the next time through. We stayed at the Frederick House. It is beautifully run, the owners are friendly, vivacious, informed and helpful. The room we booked has everything you need. The bed is very comfortable. The breakfast choices are delicious! Staunton is a great little town with loads to do. Visit the Visitors' Center for lots of info and super friendly staff. We recommend the American Shakespeare Center. We saw a comedy that was super fun. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 15 July 2014

If I can give this a 3 and a half stars, I would. This was an average and pleasant stay for us. We stayed for one night in Patrick house, which is about a block and a half from the main house. Frederick House consists of a few houses, and ours is one where you can a key to the house and your room. It feels a little like an apartment building in a way.

The room was nice and big enough for us, and we don't really have any complains except for two things. We were provided with a shampoo/soap bar and it really doesn't work. I wish I have read previous reviews as I would have brought my own shampoo. I have long hair and it just doesn't work for me. It works for someone like my husband with a one-inch long hair but not me. I also dislike the shower curtain which has a tendency to stick to your body as you're showering in a tiny stall. I read in the reviews that someone else said this was an issue, and the owners said perhaps a round shower rod would work better. It would, but they have not change it.

The other reason why I gave this 3 stars is the breakfast. The breakfast was good and sufficient. It didn't wow us. We were given a mug of coffee and a tiny glass of orange juice. No one came to refill either even though it was very clear the way we placed the glasses that we would like more. It's just little things like this that makes this an average and not a great B&B. I would be very disappointed with the breakfast if we actually stayed in one of their more expensive rooms (over $200), but because we stayed in one of their cheaper rooms, we are okay with it.

Other than that, the owner (Joe) was nice enough, and they also have an ice-maker machine in the main house. If walking is an issue, make sure you don't stay in Patrick house, as it's an uphill climb from the main house. The weather was nice, and so we didn't have any issue. I can see this being a problem for older folks or if the weather is bad. The owners are great supporter of the playhouse, but I would suggest researching online first to see if you can get better priced tickets than the ones they offered.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs if you want more peace and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dizziey
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have lodged in the Frederick House several times within the past 3 years and have always found Joe and Evy to be willing to help with theater tix (Blackfriars), directions and advice in their wealth of information about Staunton and its history - they have been "movers and shakers" in the recent civic history of Staunton. They host and coordinate a beautifully run and beautifully-appointed B&B Complex in in the heart of town complete with as many say, a tremendous and scrumptious breakfast. Also a wonderful place to stay for musicians as the Staunton Music Festival convenes in August.
Gwen and Don Frazier - Manassas, VA

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We had spent tonight to the B&B in Appomattox and wanted to spend one more night in Staunton. When we were called the the hotel Joe was very friendly, and told us he had a room. As soon as we came, he asked if we wanted to go to the theater which we did, and he immediately booked us tickets. The room was extremely large and quiet, the play was great, and breakfast was very good too. Would definitely choose to come here again.

Stayed July 2014