“Lacking for a Holiday Inn Express” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Winchester South

Holiday Inn Express Winchester South
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stephens City
Hamilton, Canada
“Lacking for a Holiday Inn Express”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stay at a lot of hotels in a year, most of them being the Holiday Inn chain so I decided I should start to leave my impressions of them.

I'm going to leave out the standard items that should be in all Holiday Inn Expresses and really just focus on where it is lacking.

The good:
- The staff are nice
- Large bathroom
- Decently clean

The bad:
- The internet is brutal. It is so slow and it keeps asking to you to re-login all the time, making using the internet for anything productive impossible. (see attached speed tests) This was not a single day occurrence, its pretty much unusable all week.

- The faucet in the bathroom does not have a smooth flow of water. It comes out all over the place and sprays up onto you. (room 106)

- The breakfast is also bad. The bananas are grey. (How is that even possible?) and the bagels/bread products are all stale. This is one of the worst HIX breakfasts I have seen. (its bad by default, but this is worse.) it also annoys me that they use Styrofoam and packaging for everything. Not really green at all.

- The heater is quite loud. (Unfortunately, this is fairly common at HIX though)

- Minor annoyance is that the TV is 720p, ya its HD but common, a 1080p TV is not much more.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester South, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear scottstevenson,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the the room conditions prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
DeWitt, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Having recently stayed at the Comfort Inn next door on the outbound leg of my trip, I wanted to try someplace else on the way back a few days later, hoping to find a more comfortable bed. I was willing to pay a little more for it, so I chose the HIE.

Unfortunately, the bed here was only marginally better than the one at the Comfort Inn, and everything else was similar or only slightly better here. I've stayed at other HIEs around the country and many of them are better than this. That's not to say that this is a poor choice; if you are passing through and need a decent place for the night, this HIE will do okay.

I ran into one annoying feature in my room. The open closet has plastic hangers of the type designed to discourage theft (no hook on the top, just an enlarged knob that hangs on a permanent fixture on the rod). I've seen this sort of thing in many hotels before, but they have always been metal and quite sturdy. I took off my heavy winter coat, placed it on a hanger, and when I hung it up, the flimsy plastic fixture popped open and dropped my coat on the floor. Thirty seconds later, my wife hung up her coat with the same result.

I also had a gripe about the fitness room. It's small and has a stepper, a treadmill, and a stationary bike. I started with the bike and within just a minute or two, I switched to the treadmill. The bike seat was very uncomfortable and the machine itself was deafeningly loud; so loud, in fact, that I had to turn up the volume on the TV (just three feet away) to a blasting level just to hear it over the bike noise.

Breakfast was good but not exceptional.

Unlike the Comfort Inn, this hotel does have an elevator, an advantage if you cannot get a room on the first floor.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester South, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Joe H,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

We read with much concern the troubles you have encountered during your stay with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had with the room condition particularly with the closet and we are truly sorry for the dissatisfaction you had with fitness center.

Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Dhan M
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

we found this hotel very clean and the staff was quite friendly. Location was good and close to Blue Mountains. Definitely will make this stopover for future travels.
Breakfast next morning was excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New Bern, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed 1 night on my way to Harrisonburg Vs.
The room was clean and comfortable. The check in manager was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good a expanded continental that was maintained by hotel staff. Would use this property again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The staff at this location is absolutely terrific! I have recommending this hotel to my colleagues as well as family. The general manager does a great job running this facility! Though my personal favorite is carol! She has an awesome personality and she greets her guests as if they were her own family. I have been staying on and off in hotels through out the state for the past month and this is by far the best location I have encountered. The breakfast is delicious and the customer care truly is outstanding! It really helps with the traveling especially being away from my family for so long it really makes the difference and for that I would like to say thank you!

• Stayed November 2013
Earth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Pros first:
Our room was very spacious. The bathroom was spacious as well, with a whirlpool. We don't like whirlpools, but it was comfortable to take a shower in the large tub.
The bed was comfortable.

Now the problems:
On the whirlpool corner I found hair ( not ours ), not something I expect to find in a Holiday Inn Express hotel.
In the afternoon it took the hot water forever to arrive to our shower.
The toilet paper was located far from toilet, why?
The elevator's floor was dirty.
On ground floor, the light in the elevator's button did not work, so one couldn't know if it works.
Breakfast was really poor. There was only fattening junk food. The only edible food was bread, yogurt, milk and some cream cheese ( not Philadelphia, a kind of a cheaper imitation ).
The cutlery was not clean, we had to pick several knives and forks in order to find clean ones.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winchester South, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear AllKnowMother,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations you have experienced. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Schenectady
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Recent rennovations evident. VERY helpful staff. We stayed there three times in a two week period because it was so good. Very convenient to interstate. Two very good restaurants less than 1/2 mile away- Roma-an Italian/Greek place and Del Rio- mexican. Both have great food, abundant portions and attentive service. Breakfast at this hotel is much better than usual. Machine made pancakes actually have taste. Must try hot cinnamon rolls. They even provide boxes because they expect you to take rolls with you. One of best values for your money I've come across and I travel a good deal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Wingate by Wyndham Winchester
Ramada Strasburg
Ramada Strasburg
#2 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express Winchester South? Share your experiences!