“Definitely Not 'Hooked' - slow service, mediocre food”
Review of Hooked - CLOSED

Hooked
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 7 & Cascades Parkway
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We did not order the sushi; maybe that was our mistake. Our experience wasn't completely terrible, but given all the other stellar food options in the Northern Virginia area we won't be back here. The pro is it does have a nice outdoor seating area with shade, and the interior of the restaurant is nice, but the ambiance was kind of killed by loud and questionable music choices (think 1990s Backstreet Boys).

We had two side salads to start with that weren't bad but way overpriced. I had a pear mojito cocktail that was ok.

I ordered the shellfish clay pot and my husband ordered the Louisiana seafood gumbo. A small amount of shellfish was served in a watery, not very flavorful "curry" with lots of bok choy and grape tomatoes and pasty overcooked rice. Curry, by definition, is usually on the thicker and more flavorful side; it was also odd because it was oily and dairy at the same time, which obviously resulted in some indigestion. Not to mention, I am 125 pounds and I left hungry. The gumbo was ok but the chorizo in it were pretty nasty; I usually love chorizo and had never had unsatisfactory chorizo before.

1  Thank bigcitygurl_13

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently visited Hooked for Mother's Day! Started with a cocktail that was the special of the day! It was very good. Not too sweet but wonderfully satisfying. I ordered the crab cakes w/asparagus. The meal was wonderful. I love crab cakes and know when they have been prepared well. These were just right.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was not my first time at Hooked, but I took a few friends who haven't been and they loved it. The restaurant was pretty crowded, with a class reunion taking up most of the bar, but the service was excellent and the food was great. We had a young sushi virgin with us and the manager explained to her what she would like and she walked out a sushi fan. We ordered most of the rolls and had the lobster mashed potatoes as a side. This place will remain on my list of reliable favorites.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Took my friend for a birthday lunch. The food was fresh and tasty. Service was good and decor is nice. This restaurant is on the pricey side so more of a treat, but I recommend.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

On a trip to Northern Virginia, on a Friday, in Lent … I needed to find a seafood restaurant. Now, there are some other sushi restaurants, but I wanted a wider variety. I am glad to find Hooked. Fried Calamari, Crab Bisque, and Crabcakes, was a great combination. The Wine List is varied, with a decent variety of whites at different price points. Service was spectacular.

This was such a good meal, that I cannot wait for my next trip to the area, so I can test the sushi chefs and their creativity.