Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had a great experience from the time I booked our stay. All the staff that we came into contact with did a bang up job. Being that I use to work for a Country Inn & Suites, I have a high standard and the only thing I would fix here is that Housekeeping needs to pay more attention to smaller details in the room. Otherwise the room was nice. Having free parking and a free shuttle use to get to the airport was awesome! We then took the metro into DC and spent the day walking around and visiting the museums. When we called to have the shuttle pick us up that night at the airport, it was there in a timely manner and the lady who drove was a sweetheart!

Room Tip: If you are a bit sensitive to noise, ask for a room to the back of the hotel, to the front is a Burg...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed in the 1bdrm suite and was very pleased.. Room was nice, and big.. Staff was very accommodating.. Not close to much but I wasn't looking to do much either! Close to the dulles airport.. When I stayed it was snowing but it was still a great stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2014

i had a one-day/two nights stop-over for my return flight from dulles airport,and thats why i chose this hotel to stay at;very close to the dulles airport (hardly a 10 mins drive),big rooms,big bathrooms,very clean...staff very friendly and helpful...free shuttle service to and from the airport;decent breakfast.
There is a bus service from the dulles airport which takes you to downtown DC for about $6.00 (one-way) and takes about 40 mins to get there;since we (wife and three kids) had one day to spend in washington,we took this bus and got to visit a couple of museums and just walk around the lincoln and washington memorials...and also went around the white house (we were there for the first time,and since it was just a days stop-over we thought might as well see these places).
But if you are looking to spend a few days in washington,then you might as well stay at a hotel in DC.
For a stop-over,I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stay for one night, but that was enough to be fond of the staff and place. A warm welcome with homemade cookies and a smile. Everything went great.
They have Internet available, library and a much better breakfast than expected at a B&B.
A quiet, warm place.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We booked our airline tickets and hotel 8 weeks in advance and were to land originally at Dulles airport. Delta sent us set us an email less than a week later changing it to Reagan. Called main customer service line and was told to contact hotel directly they could do nothing. Called them twice never a manager available left message. No return call. Not very friendly or helpful when I did call. Not cool. I have stayed at many Country Inns & Suites around the country, this one I felt was just about preying on airline customers and not trying to help them out.They simply did not care.They would have had plenty of time to fill my room with someone else and I would not have had a charge on my card for a room we could not cancel or use.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Tina P, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a guest review. I thank you for your valuable feedback.
I am very sorry that no one was able to help you and that you had to try calling several times with no response back to you in a timely manner. The hotel strives to deliver the highest level of customer service and I am sorry you did not have that experience. Your feedback will help the hotel to fine-tune our operations and be absolutely sure our future guests have a great stay.

Thank you again and I hope you will give the hotel another opportunity to earn your business.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

My husband is a concierge level for Carlson Rewards so we have stayed in many Country Inns. This is the first time that we have had a complaint. We stayed here on November 3, 2013. We arrived late that evening after a long road trip. The guy behind the desk was not welcoming or friendly. He requested my husband's id immediately. Then he looked at it for a very long time. At one point I asked him about the concierge basket that we are supposed to receive. He told me that it was upstairs. It was in almost a dismissive tone. We got up there and the basket was not there. I called downstairs and told him it was not there. He seemed agitated and said he would send one up. Well, my son had returned to the car to get something and gave it to him to bring up to the room. I think it was two bottles of water and two bags of undesirable chips (perhaps Frito brand..). Other hotels made us feel welcome due to my husband's concierge status. They made baskets with all types of snacks, country inn massage items, etc. Other hotels always called us within minutes of entering the hotel to make sure the room was okay. That is how they should treat customers that are loyal to the Country Inn brand. THEN the next morning we asked another gentleman if we could check out at 1pm (supposed to be a perk of concierge status). My son had a soccer game and we wanted to return and allow him to shower before heading home. He said no before we could get the question out good. The hotel was full. It was not like housekeeping was going to finish cleaning all of the rooms before we returned. Other than the customer service, the hotel was okay. The room was clean. However, this hotel does not hold a candle to the one in Winchester, Rocky Mount, Universal Studios Orlando or others in TN and Florida. Customer service is amazing in those locations. The customer service soured our opinion of this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank allboyz
Tina P, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Guest,

I want to first apologize for your experience while at our hotel. Both persons you spoke with during your stay behaved in a very unacceptable manner. I am also sorry for the front desk agent not taking care of you and getting you a gift bag right away when it came to his attention that there was not one in the room. Another thing I apologize for is that you were not able to check out later at 1PM. Even if the hotel is full we can accommodate that request easily. That is a perk of being Concierge level and we are very happy to oblige.

I thank you for being a Concierge level gold Points member and for bringing this to my attention so that I can address the issue and prevent future guests from having the same negative experience.

I hope you will be able to accept my apology and give our hotel another opportunity to earn your business when you travel back into our area. Please feel free to give me a call at the hotel to discuss further if you would like.

Thank you.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently and were pleasantly surprised with the guest room. It was reasonable spacious, very clean and quiet. We heard very little noise from either the hallway or other guest rooms. The bathroom was compact and not as roomy as in some other hotels in the area, but it was spotless and there was good water pressure from the shower. The staff was very welcoming and helpful and resolved any issues that arose. It was nice to be welcomed with fresh-baked cookies! I cannot be as complimentary about the breakfast bar. There were very few healthy choices, i.e. all of the cereals were sugary, and there was no yogurt available. There was cut fruit, but it was quite unappetizing. Oranges and bananas were on the bar, but the bananas were bright green and nowhere near ready to eat. There was cooked oatmeal, but the toppings were also sugary, so I had some difficulty finding a suitable breakfast. I will say that they also had sausage, eggs and biscuits for a hot meal choice, but I'm not a big fan. The other nice touch at the desk upon checkout was a basket of apples and granola bars.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business