“Room was run down & dirty, and I had a laptop stolen.”

Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Gainesville, Virginia
“Room was run down & dirty, and I had a laptop stolen.”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The room rate was fairly good, and the amenities appeared excellent. The location was great as well. It seemed that this hotel had a lot going for it, so I was optimistic.

The reality was jarring, to say the least. The room I was in was rough, both in terms of cleanliness (the floor was filthy), and maintenance (things looked worn and heavily used). The only good news was that the bed had no bedbugs.

The motel advertises a "continental breakfast." Think some granola bars, some cereal, and packaged muffins.

When we were checking out, I left a laptop bag out for just seconds, and it disappeared. Guess what? No security cameras. When the sheriff's deputy arrived, he advised me that while the area was nice, the hotel's clientele were not necessarily nice, and it seemed like the sheriff's department was familiar with the hotel.

I would not stay in this motel again if you paid me. If you like a clean room, avoid this motel. If you want to avoid a motel where your stuff might get stolen, avoid this motel. In fact, just avoid this motel, period. Note that while the room price was great that I rate the value of the room and the hotel as poor. After all, if you are going to have your stuff stolen, whatever money you save is gone with the stuff you lose.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another motel or hotel, of which there are many in the nearby areas.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lonholder
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept our most sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. I would also like to personally apologize for your laptop being stolen from the parking lot. I can understand your frustration and disappointment. It is very discomforting for us to know that this incident took place. We have always worked hard to make our hotel safe and secure for our guest. We always have management and staff make rounds of the hotels throughout the day and night.

I have also discussed your comments with the team, and we will be taking actions to improve. If you would like to discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at dln@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Virginia
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This a nice clean place to stay. They provide cooking utensils and once a week house keeping services. Staff is also very helpful and you'll have plenty of parking space. Near to Dulles Airport / Rental Car Companies/ Walmart/ Dulles Town Center.

Things could be improved are better internet speed and more TV channels as these are expected if the stay is an extended one.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I would like to thank you for taking time to post a review of your stay. It is wonderful to know that you had a great stay with us. I am very proud of our team for making your stay a home away from home.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future should you travel bring you back.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 9 October 2013

A lovely and quiet hotel nearby the airport. Wonderful staff, comfortable bed, studio with kitchennete, and grab and go breakfast at $100 a night. What else do we need? Sakar, Manish, Danny the Manager, and the housekeeping staff were really helpful and friendly. Will highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Andy - The staff and I read your review and we would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about us and the hotel. I am really proud of our team for their great service. This really encourages us to maintain the standards we work so hard to achieve. Also, I am glad to read that you had an opportunity to enjoy our grab-and-go breakfast and fully equipped kitchen.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have to say this is a very quiet place to spend your night. 10 mins away from the airport, you can't ask for a better deal.All the staffs are friendly,courteous,and they smile all the time. Bigbthumbs up to Manish who was very helpful and made my stay comfortable. The houskeepers and all the other staffs had a smile on their face.
My only negative comment about this hotel is that it is a little outdated property compared to other hotels. If they renovate it, it will be really enjoyable place to stay.

Room Tip: This hotel doesnt have a swimming pool or a restaurant.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about our hotel and the staff. We are very happy to know that we were able to make your stay a memorable one. Nothing gives us more pleasure then catering to our guest's needs. I am pleased that Manish provided you with great service during your stay and that you found our location convenient. We are also in the process of renovating our property and we have hundreds of other properties that have been renovated through out the United States and Canada.

The staff and I would like to thank you once again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Due to the negative reviews I was not sure whether I would like it because it was already booked. On my way to the hotel I wanted to stop by other hotels and make new arrangments but i wanted adventure and see for myself.
The reception was great the workers very well trained, pleasant and helpful. They make you feel at home. The room was just neat and well kept...I had a good trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
John - Thank you so much for posting a review of your stay with us. I truly appreciate your comments about our property and our staff. I am very proud of our team for providing exceptional service. I will be sharing this review with my staff as well.

I would also like to thank you for choosing us and by doing so giving us the opportunity to make your stay a home away from home. Once again, thank you for posting your review. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to this area.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I only lived in the suite for 1 night, but my stay was quite comfortable. The service was great (quick check-in/out, courteous staff). The room was clean and functional. The bed was comfortable. Simple and comfortable, nothing fancy. Value for location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Timisoara, Romania
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stay 1 night and it was OK, the staffs were very nice :).
The price was one of the lowest around the Dulles airport and this is way I choose to stay here and it was close to the Dulles airport.The room was clean.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
Hyatt Regency Dulles
#5 of 20 in Herndon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,113 reviews
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dulles Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Sterling - Dulles? Share your experiences!