“WORST STAY EVER”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Sterling
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Worst decision all trip to stay at this hotel for one night. They have no staff after 11pm until 7am. If you check in between those times there is a lock box with your name on it. Upon entering our room there was an odor smell, damp towels in bathroom, mold in bathroom, broken bed, beer in freezer, water bottle in refrigerator, furniture was dusty, hair on the sheets, and stains on the bed spreads. To walk into this room after 11pm and to not be able to speak to staff about it, or at least get fresh towels to take a shower was disgusting. In the morning I wanted to speak to management about it but go figure, no one was around. There was a sign on the desk saying if you do not need a receipt basically have a nice day. How one can run a hotel like this is beyond me, esp a Choice Hotel. Disgusting! DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria S
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Maria S. I apologize that you were put in a room that is not ready for check in. Although, the front desk is closed after 11p.m. we are still available to assist you after hours. It is standard for all Suburban Extended Stay hotels to have the front desk close at 11pm. I am sorry you were not familiar with it. Please know that we are committed in making your stay comfortable and if we knew the room you were given was unsatisfactory, we would have moved you to a different room right away. Please allow us to prove to you that we are not what you thought us to be. I hope you’ll come back and try the Suburban brand again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling

Reviewed 22 July 2012

AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE. Recently stayed for about 9 days at this particular location and it was a fiasco from the get go. Issues with my card had me on the phone going back and forth with the manager and my reservation rep for about three hours. I finally got to my room, a reserved "non smoking" room, and it stunk to high hell of smoke. There was a sign that said no smoking, but it was on a smoking floor and obviously people had smoked in it before. So I complained to the manager, and he said there was nothing he could do about it. He stated it was a smoking floor blah blah blah. So all of my clothes eventually picked up the disgusting smell and everything else acquired it throughout the week as well. My bedsheets were always damp from I don't know what but the cleaning staff only cleaned and changed sheets on Fridays so I was SOL again as the manager basically put it to me. I would have continued to fight over a better room and new sheets had I not been down for orientation for a new job and needed my sleep after long days of training, briefing, and more training and briefing. So there I was wearing brand new business clothes stinking of smoke after a night's sleep in damp, or moist rather, sheets. I felt disgusting, smelled disgusting, and was absolutely disgusted with the hotel and the laughable attempt at customer service. To boot, my car was hit overnight by another car on the premises. I had no time to call the police as I had to go to work. I eventually made it to the hotel manager who did nothing to help me at all once again. AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE

Room Tip: If every other hotel is burned to the ground and you can't camp in your vehicle, make sure to ge...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter H

Hello Peter H! I am sorry that you were not happy with our hotel during your stay. Normally, when guests aren't happy with the room type they got, we move them to a different room. Given the time of your reservation, I am assuming that we were probably sold out the nights you were in our hotel (which is always the case in the summer time). And if you were given a smoking room, I believe it’s because that was the room type you were booked in. Situations like this occur when a reservation was booked through a third-party website such as Hotwire, Priceline, etc. You get a discounted room rate but you have to prepay for it and your room type is non-guaranteed. I can assure you, we will not put you in a smoking room if you were guaranteed a non-smoking room. As for someone hitting your car in the parking lot, I’m sorry you felt we didn't do anything about it. Situations like this are not within our grasp and since there are no cameras outside our parking lot, there is no way for us to know who could have hit your car. It is very unfortunate that all these things happened during your stay, but I’m still hoping you will not close your door on us. Please keep us in mind if in the future you need a place to stay that can accommodate your basic needs at a lower rate. Thank you for writing us a review.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

During the recent DC power outages my wife and I stayed here and tried to find ways to avoid being in the room. Booked a non-smoking room online but all they had was smoking. Would have stayed elsewhere, but other hotels were booked up. Price was decent, but I cannot say it was a good value. Worst hotel I have stayed at in a while.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LJG22046
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Dear LJG22046, I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. It is unfortunate that you stayed in a room type you did not book. Due to the widespread power outage in the area, all the hotels were booked. And of course, the first rooms to go were the nonsmoking suites. If you were to stay with us under different circumstances, I am sure you will find that it is worth staying at Suburban and that we can give you the best value for your buck. I am in the hopes that you will give us another chance to serve you in the future. Thank you for writing us a review.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I lived here for three months while my boyfriend and I were between leases. First, the location is far from everything but strip malls. Expect to do a lot of driving. For our purposes it was perfect, but I wouldn't recommend it for tourists. The rooms are small but have everything you need for a long stay- two burner stove, microwave, sink, table and chairs, silverware, and a tiny closet. The bathroom was relatively new and clean. Housekeeping did a great job every monday and even did our dishes! The towels did sometimes smell musty, there were scuffs on the walls, and the pillows sucked, we used our own. Parking is easy and the desk staff are friendly and helpful with things like fresh towels, change, directions, stuff like that.

In the end - This is the cheapest month to month option we could find in the area, you get what you'd expect from the cheapest.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tr4velc4t

Dear quixoticsplash, I am happy we got to be of service to you for three months and you found our amenities useful to you during your stay. Please keep in mind that you are welcome to contact the front desk anytime you have any concerns that need to be addressed. I will make sure that we take care of the things you mentioned in your review that needs improvement. We value your opinion and I thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

the property is in excellent location and effordable to any common tourist and business people i very much appreciate the freindly and cooperative behaviour mr mr glenn the reception staff rooms were cleanand decent overall experice is fantastic

Room Tip: rooms in gound floor are low noisy and good view also
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Hello samarroy! I am delighted that we have exceeded your expectations during your stay. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on tripadvisor. Looking forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Placed self and partner into filthy room with walls covered in filth amd shoe scuffs (as if an entire football team had a fight in there).,, floors and carpet dirt covered and disgusting, cheap pillows for toddler sized person, dirty towels received from desk, nonfunctioning $5 iron and no access to hairdryer! It was a cluster! Also, No spreads on beds , mismatched linens and towels (some with holes), no coffee at hotel, and an all or nothing air conditioner, torn up chair (not the sofa i was promised). I am enduriated and incensed.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank BJMillerRaleighNC

Dear BJMIllerRaleighNC, I am sorry to hear you did not get the best impression of our hotel during your stay. Please be assured that we always make sure our room is clean and in good condition before we sell it to new guests. We also do not give dirty towels when a guest requests for fresh ones. Although our hotel brand doesn't offer hairdryers in the rooms, we do have a fully-equipped kitchen that includes a refrigerator, cooktop, microwave oven, coffee maker, etc. I hope you will allow us to resolve any of your issues next time you are with us. We are dedicated to ensuring you always have a comfortable stay. Please give us another try and I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I have been residing at the Suburban for approx 1 month. Being away from home is not easy. On the other hand the staff here work hard on the premises and make your stay enjoyable.

The one instance that I required assistance from the management, Mr. Hutchins, the general manager took care of everything. I would recommend this facility. It is good value for your money.

Robert

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
cndlherndon, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel Dulles Sterling, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Thank you Robert L for taking the time to write us a review. It is always a pleasure to be of service to wonderful guests like you. I am happy you chose to stay at our hotel. Should you need assistance with anything, please do not hesitate to contact me or the front desk. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay with us.